WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What is your favourite feature/complication?

• Chronograph

• Dive Bezel

• Countdown Bezel

• Alarm (e.g. Memovox)

• Minute Repeater

• GMT

• World Timer

• Date

• Date with independent hour hand

• Annual Calendar

• Perpetual Calendar

• Day/night Indicator

• Sunrise/sunset Indicator

• Moonphase

• Equation of Time

• Small Seconds (actually an anti-complication, but nevermind)

• Dead-beat Seconds

• Power Reserve Indicator

• Tourbillon

• Ultra-thin Case

• Slide Rule

• Helium Escape Valve

• No Complications

• Day of Week

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
you know what I would like? an easy regulating knob...
Like if your watch gains 2 seconds a day, you twist this knob that can accessed without opening the watch and roll it backwards 2 clicks...BAM!
or if it runs slow...twist it forward

I want THAT complication.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Like if your watch gains 2 seconds a day, you twist this knob that can accessed without opening the watch and roll it backwards 2 clicks...BAM!

That would be quite an innovation!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

It exists! I saw something like that on Fratello not too long ago.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Annual calendars and QPs are really interesting mechanically, but even if I could easily afford one, I'd think quite hard about it - if you rotate through your watches regularly and don't believe in winders, I imagine it would be more of a hassle than it's worth.
If I get a calendar watch, I'd be my daily anyway so that'd not really a concern for me. Otherwise I agree it's a pain to have to set so many functions. I was going to get this Longines Master chronograph calendar years ago. At the time it felt as though its amazing to have so many function all wrap up into one. Then I realize it'd take be 20 minutes to set the watch every time I'd wear it, so that came off of the list for me pretty quickly.

Not having to worry about am/pm because of the date function when setting a watch makes life so much easier for 3 handers and no date chronographs.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If I get a calendar watch, I'd be my daily anyway so that'd not really a concern for me. Otherwise I agree it's a pain to have to set so many functions. I was going to get this Longines Master chronograph calendar years ago. At the time it felt as though its amazing to have so many function all wrap up into one. Then I realize it'd take be 20 minutes to set the watch every time I'd wear it, so that came off of the list for me pretty quickly.

View attachment 15812582

Not having to worry about am/pm because of the date function when setting a watch makes life so much easier for 3 handers and no date chronographs.
I have eyed that exact watch many years ago, but was far too poor at the time to do anything about it.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Being a mechanical engineer with a wicked equipment fetish I love all of the complications (except for day night indicator, that just seems dumb.)
Seems if your eyes are open to see your watch, you know if it's day or night. I guess it would be useful if on a 6 month submarine tour. But maybe just a 24 hour watch would still be more useful, as day or night still doesn't really matter.

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
Annual calendars and QPs are really interesting mechanically, but even if I could easily afford one, I'd think quite hard about it - if you rotate through your watches regularly and don't believe in winders, I imagine it would be more of a hassle than it's worth.
MY two PC's are quartz driven, 10 year battery life and +- 20 SPY. Painless in reality. BTW, 8f56 Seiko movement.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
MY two PC's are quartz driven, 10 year battery life and +- 20 SPY. Painless in reality. BTW, 8f56 Seiko movement.
Speaking of QPs, on the other end of the scale we have this new Octo Finissimo QP. I think it looks spectacular.

I really like what Bulgari has been doing with the Octo Finissimo line. My first high end integrated bracelet watch (if I ever get one) might be an OF.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
surprised chronograph is by far no.1. They are cool but virtually useless.
I think it has something to do with how chronographs are one of the first complications we discover as we get into watches. Plus it has that interactivity that nothing else really has.

Agree with you though, I don't actually use my speedmaster to time stuff. Eggs and steaks maybe.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I voted chronograph and GMT.

My 3rd choice would be a date pointer, which wasn't in the list.

Or a tide complication, which is very cool, but rare as a unicorn.

The tides are a timelessly fascinating spectacle: twice a day, the waves retreat from the shore before inexorably rising again. This natural phenomenon is caused by a complex interplay between the gravitational and centrifugal forces of the moon, the earth and the sun. The time between two high tides is precisely 12 hours and 24 minutes. If, for example, it is high tide at midnight, the next high tide will occur at 12.24. The Portugieser Yacht Club Moon & Tide shows the slightly shifting time for the next high tide on the dial. During the 12 hours and 24 minutes between two high tides, the display disc will rotate by around 24 minutes on its 12-hour scale. The energy required is channelled from the base movement’s hour pinion. A precisely calculated reducing gear comprising three cogs slows the rotation to the point where the tidal disc rotates around its axis once in exactly 14.76 days. The tidal display module is integrated into the 82835 calibre movement and contains 49 parts.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
No complications for me, like many others have said.
I like the beauty of the dial more than a mess of cut outs and sub registers.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I'm much more of a dress watch person, but I'd say day, date, and GMT. The most useful most of the time by far.

Reactions: Inca Block

·
Premium Member
13,091 Posts
Top 3 features?

Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Date was an honorable mention

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'm a big fan of the quintessential grand complication that has a chronograph, a perpetual calendar, and minute repeater. Ironically enough, I'm not a fan of the tourbillon. Even though I appreciate it's horological significance.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm a big fan of the quintessential grand complication that has a chronograph, a perpetual calendar, and minute repeater. Ironically enough, I'm not a fan of the tourbillon. Even though I appreciate it's horological significance.
I agree. The tourbillion these days is basically watchmakers showing off and not much more.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Tough to get to 3 but I went with "No Complications," "Tourbillon," and "Small Seconds." A couple others were tempting, such as Moonphase and Equation of Time
Equation of Time, now there’s a complication without much application. Purist celestial navigators perhaps?

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
430 Posts
My top three, it should have all these 3, nothing less and definitely nothing more.

seconds hand

minutes hand

hour hand

·
Premium Member
40,599 Posts
My top three, it should have all these 3, nothing less and definitely nothing more.

seconds hand

minutes hand

hour hand
And yet your profile picture has a dive bezel - one of the features listed in the poll.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts