Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Others (Please specify)

Votes: 9 6.5%
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo everyone, I am a newbie in this board but have been interested in watch for 3 years now. Today I would like to know your opinion on what is your top 5 watch brands in term of their Reputation, Prestige, High Complication Calibre, History, and etc. For me, The top 5 brands are:
1. Patek Phillipe
2. Vacheron Constantin
3. Audemars Piguet
4. A. Lange
5. Blancpain
So, What are yours? ^^

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If talking mainstream brands, it has to be: Patek, Lange, Vacheron, Audemars and Breguet (though not necessarily in that order) ....

Cheers,

Pieter

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Top 5 prestige watch brands (in term of: Recognition, History, High Complicat...

Hublot, Roger Dubuis, Richard Mille, Urwerk and Christophe Claret.

Edit: I would change Urwerk and Christophe Claret to AP and Patek Philippe.

So it goes: Patek, AP, Hublot, RM and Roger Dubuis.

Proof: see instagram of the rich people posting their watches.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
None of real super high end brands are recognized often. :) (RM, Urwerk, Jorne, etc.)

with real history and innovation, then I suppose
Seiko and Rolex will come into play, but Rolex does not really have High complication calibre (their MOST complicated is annual calendar on their Skydweller I believe), and Seiko is probably not really recognized as "prestige watch brand" though they make fantastic watches especially in their high end lines (GS/Credor) as well as really super complicated watches.

Well then, I would go with:
Patek, Vacheron, Audmars, Lange, (this is tough one, but with your requirement) JLC

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I voted:

ALS, JLC, Breguet, Rolex and Patek.

All for different reasons, and without using average selling price as a sole determiner.

ALS - simply for what they're doing now. Stunning watches. Top of the heap in my opinion.

JLC - I've read it referred to as the 'watch-makers watch'. They have, and continue to produce movements for top brands. And they aren't too shabby at case and dial construction either.

Rolex - simply because a) the history of the brand and its watches, b) the ridiculous level of vertical integration they've achieved, and c) the degree of integration with society at large - they're a cultural phenomenon as well as a watch company. That's important.

Patek Philippe - in many ways I look at them as being like Rolex, just more expensive. Significant history. A heck of a manufactory. Beautiful designs. And cultural significance.

Breguet - have you looked at the people who've owned a Breguet? Their history? Amazing.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
High Complication w/o history:
Urwerk, MB&F, Richard Mille, Roger Dubuis, Greubel Forsey

High Complication /w history:
AP, Patek, Lange, VC, JLC

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,485 Posts
Hallo everyone, I am a newbie in this board but have been interested in watch for 3 years now. Today I would like to know your opinion on what is your top 5 watch brands in term of their Reputation, Prestige, High Complication Calibre, History, and etc. For me, The top 5 brands are:
1. Patek Phillipe
2. Vacheron Constantin
3. Audemars Piguet
4. A. Lange
5. Blancpain
So, What are yours? ^^
Why is the poll so completely euro-centric??? At a minimum Seiko should have an entry.

So many previous polls that look just like this one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here we go again...
Why is the poll so completely euro-centric??? At a minimum Seiko should have an entry.

So many previous polls that look just like this one.
Oh I'm sorry if this kind of poll bored you guy. However, as I said, I am kinda new here so I just wanna know what are our friends here thinking about these brands. And about Seiko, actually I am a big fan of this brand -- cool movement and a lot of cool watch -- but i just see that Seiko produces too many watches from super cheap to uber watch so I excluded it from the list.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Oh I'm sorry if this kind of poll bored you guy. However, as I said, I am kinda new here so I just wanna know what are our friends here thinking about these brands. And about Seiko, actually I am a big fan of this brand -- cool movement and a lot of cool watch -- but i just see that Seiko produces too many watches from super cheap to uber watch so I excluded it from the list.
The first time it was fun, if futile - but definitely not boring. By the umpteenth time, it gets monotonous. Do a search and you will find many threads that have tried this subject and failed to get much traction. Brand appeal, ranking or cachet is so subjective, no poll, vote, or categorization will ever be able to define it. All you get is a bunch of differing opinions, then everyone complaining their “Brand” should be in the top 5, 10, 12, whatever.

Focus on the watches and leave brand issues to flashy marketing people and the unsuspecting, non-WIS buying public.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
for the non-WIS (ie 99% of the population)
1. Rolex
2. Omega
3. Tag
4. Cartier
5. Panerai

1 - 20 of 100 Posts