WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has a simple answer, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. What is top finish? The options for the Stowa Marine Roman 36 include top finish, but (and I must just be missing it) I'm not sure what that is...can someone shed some light on this? And, do you think top finish (whatever it is) is worth it?

Thanks!

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,409 Posts
Top finish is related to the movement(s), not to the case. All explained in their FAQ - „Quality of our movements we use in your STOWA watch“.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I am sure this has a simple answer, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. What is top finish? The options for the Stowa Marine Roman 36 include top finish, but (and I must just be missing it) I'm not sure what that is...can someone shed some light on this? And, do you think top finish (whatever it is) is worth it?

Thanks!
As Mike said above.

If you have a display back and appreciate a good-looking movement then it's worth it in my opinion

·
Registered
825 Posts
The Glucydur balance is the major „plus“ imho. Decoration has no impact on performance.
Gotcha. I still get confused between Stowa's use of the term "Top finish" and an ETA "Top grade" movement.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
From the Stowa FAQ:

"In principle, there are 2 basic qualities that are then offered in two different versions.​
For one thing, we are talking about Basis or Elabore. These two movements are identical, only the finish can be chosen slightly more valuable at the Elabore version. Both movements use a nickel balance.​
On the other hand, there is the TOP and chronometer version. These movements use a Glucydur balance. Both movements then differ only in two points:​
Firstly, the chronometer version is regulated according to COSC criteria and secondly it has a continuous number engraved on the movement.​
The TOP version has exactly the same components, but is delivered without a number and without COSC regulation. At STOWA we regulate the TOP version also to a maximum of 10 seconds plus per day.​
From November 2020 we will also be using movements from the Swiss manufacturer Sellita."​

·
Registered
825 Posts
From Stowa's description of the Flieger Sport Classic:

- real blued steel hands - mechanical movements in TOP finish Sellita SW200

For the TO1:

Sellita SW 200 Automatic Chronometer quality

For the TO2:

Sellita SW 200 Automatik, top version with blued screws

It gets a bit confusing.

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,409 Posts
I'm confused on...what is it exactly?
Am I right in assuming you do not understand the differences in parts and finishing Jörg and his team described in the FAQ or were you just replying to robi1138‘s post ?

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,409 Posts
This is all very helpful. I'd missed this earlier: STOWA GmbH+CO KG | Flieger- & Marineuhren seit 1927

So I understand the visual difference. And so I guess the difference between the automatic and automatic with TOP finish is the blued screws and accuracy?
Both are regulated the same way as Stowa explains „Regulation from 0 up to plus 10 sec. divergence per day“. So it is not about accuracy per se. as per specs „Top“ has got a better balance (Glucydur). Finish difference: bridge is decorated with Cotes de Genève stripes, pearl finish.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
What’s better about a glucydur balance?
doesnt the top grade also come with better shock protection? I also get confused tbh.

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,409 Posts
What’s better about a glucydur balance?
doesnt the top grade also come with better shock protection? I also get confused tbh.
The balance, in combination with the hairspring constitutes the oscillation system of a mechanical watch. The Glucydur balance is a type of beryllium bronze. This material considerably reduces the influence of temperature compared to a Ni-balance. It is harder compared to nickel balances and/or brass balances.

The Stowa FAQ answer all your questions.

Sellita

https://www.sellita.ch

Our movements we use from Sellita:

SW 200 automatic basic

- basic finish, bridge parts rhodium coated

- golden STOWA logo on the rotor

- Incabloc shock protection

- min. 38 hrs power reserve

- 28 800 half vibrations per hour (4 HZ)

- Regulation from 0 up to plus 10 sec. divergence per day

(please keep in mind that during the "aging process" of the clock movement the bearing oil can become stiff, and your watch slower. If this circumstance disturbs you or the watch looses time a service of the clock movement will be necessary.

Our recommendation is every 4-5 years but it is also possible that your watch is working correctly for 6, 7 or even more years).

- barrel spring Nivaflex

- gold-plated Nickel balance wheel

- max. amplitude 315 degrees

- min. amplitude 200 degrees

- 26 pallets of synthetic rubin

SW 200 automatic Top

- rhodium plated movement bridge with Cotes de Genève stripes, pearl finish

- golden STOWA logo on the rotor

- min. 38 hrs power reserve

(please keep in mind that during the "aging process" of the clock movement the bearing oil can become stiff, and your watch slower. If this circumstance disturbs you or the watch looses time a service of the clock movement will be necessary.

Our recommendation is every 4-5 years but it is also possible that your watch is working correctly for 6, 7 or even more years).

- barrel spring Nivaflex

- gold-plated Glucydur balance

- 26 pallets of synthetic rubin

SW 215 handwound Top

- rhodium plated movement bridge with Cotes de Genève stripes, pearl finish

- min. 42 hrs power reserve

- barrel spring Nivaflex

- gold-plated Glucydur balance

- 19 pallets of synthetic rubin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts