WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share a fantastic experience I just had at the Omega boutique in the Fairmont Hotel in downtown Vancouver:

My girlfriend and I were running some errands and decided to drop by to have a look. I have taken an interest in the Seamasters and Speedmasters lately. Despite traipsing in dressed very casually, and with a giant chunk of Seiko Tuna on my wrist, the staff were very friendly and receptive. The saleswoman that showed me around their wares noticed my keen interest and let me try on pretty much anything I had my eye on (the new Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial is, in short, incredible). The highlight of the visit was trying on the Ploprof. She could tell I was giddy upon seeing it and despite me proclaiming that there was no way I could ever afford one, she was more than happy to take it out of the safe and let me play around with it. :p

Here are some pictures, though I forgot to get a shot of the 300 m Diver and GMT:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

I have had some very poor experiences at other stores, including some very condescending salespeople at Hamilton and Tissot counters. I had one individual, in a very patronizing tone, exclaim "this is a really expensive watch, you know" when asked to try on an Intra-Matic.

It was a great experience all round, I hope one day I can walk out with something of my own. |>

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I have found the staff in the boutiques to be very friendly and certainly never had them look down their noses at me when I enter. I'm a scruffy sod at the best of times too! :-d

The shot of the SM300 is pushing me yet closer to pulling the trigger!!! Thanks alot!!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have found the staff in the boutiques to be very friendly and certainly never had them look down their noses at me when I enter. I'm a scruffy sod at the best of times too! :-d

The shot of the SM300 is pushing me yet closer to pulling the trigger!!! Thanks alot!!

Its beautiful. I wasn't so sure about the aged look on the lume that they were going for but it is incredibly understated in person. It fit my wrist the best out of the models I tried on.

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience! As a fellow Vancouverite, the Boutique is my favourite destination downtown, and some of my very favourite people, too.

Cheers,
Carl

Reactions: idkfa

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Ive never been to one but only hear great things, the watches cost more but at least they make it special every time for every person. Glad you enjoyed!

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
All three look great on your wrist. I think you may have to go back and pick up all three... ;-)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Thanks for this post |>

Normally it's only the negative stories that "make the news" leaving readers / viewers with a very skewed view of reality.
And hats of to the lady at this boutique - that's how you sell watches. Maybe not today, maybe not even to you, but these stories bring paying customers.

I want to say that the Speedmaster looks best on your wrist ;-) but then, I'm biased. All three do actually look good. I have a thing for the PloProf, but it's size and price ......

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I've had nothing but positive experiences at the Omega and Tourbillon boutiques. The staff is always friendly and ready to go the extra mile.

BTW, that SM300 looks like it was made for your wrist. Just saying... :)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Wow, I need to move to Vancouver :D warm weather and warm service! What more could an Omega-holic ask for? :D

P.S. Hopefully they screwed the crown back in on the PloProf :D

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, I need to move to Vancouver :D warm weather and warm service! What more could an Omega-holic ask for? :D

P.S. Hopefully they screwed the crown back in on the PloProf :D
Al of the watches were displayed with the crowns in the outermost position. I thought it to be a little odd until I got home and looked at the pictures. They have stopped the hands at the ideal location for presentation of each watch.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts

How about another push?

(No I didn't buy it since I already have a Ti PO 8500 LM, P0 2500, SMP ceramic, SMP ceramic chrono, Ti SMP chrono, SMP Great White GMT, and SMP mid-size -> I need another Seamaster diver like a hole in the head but I did end up with a Skyfall Blue AT Master Co-Ax instead = moar bling.)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
How about another push?

(No I didn't buy it since I already have a Ti PO 8500 LM, P0 2500, SMP ceramic, SMP ceramic chrono, Ti SMP chrono, SMP Great White GMT, and SMP mid-size -> I need another Seamaster diver like a hole in the head but I did end up with a Skyfall Blue AT Master Co-Ax instead = moar bling.)
Larry you're a bad man!! :-d

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Larry you're a bad man!! :-d
Yes, yes I am.

Seriously though, I do think I prefer both of my Planet Oceans just a little bit more. I wasn't a big fan of the He escape valve at first, and so before I had the other Seamasters I might have jumped on the SM300 in a heart beat, especially since I already had a vintage Submariner with date.

But the Ti glossy blue dial and bezel'd PO 8500 LM is stunning, and the SM300 looks a little more utilitarian. The SM300 is a great way to fly under the radar and still get looks of appreciation from those who know about watches, while the Ti PO LM is going to catch everyone's eye and say "HEY LOOK AT ME!" in a way the SM300 can't.

I just wouldn't know what to do with it, even though I know I should want one.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Yes, yes I am.

Seriously though, I do think I prefer both of my Planet Oceans just a little bit more. I wasn't a big fan of the He escape valve at first, and so before I had the other Seamasters I might have jumped on the SM300 in a heart beat, especially since I already had a vintage Submariner with date.

But the Ti glossy blue dial and bezel'd PO 8500 LM is stunning, and the SM300 looks a little more utilitarian. The SM300 is a great way to fly under the radar and still get looks of appreciation from those who know about watches, while the Ti PO LM is going to catch everyone's eye and say "HEY LOOK AT ME!" in a way the SM300 can't.

I just wouldn't know what to do with it, even though I know I should want one.
I hear you Larry. Liquidmetal PO's do scream loud and clear. Mine gets a fair amount of comments due to the bezel shimmering in the light. Also my sub-c does too. The SM300 does fly under the radar and it looks great on so many straps which appeals to me. The HE is something I would happily live without. My ideal would be to cross my POLMLE with an SM300 creating a glossy dial and bezel with the case of the 300 minus the escape valve. Are you listening Omega?!? :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Are you sure she didn't forget to actually remove the PloProf from the safe? Man that thing is massive!
They all look swell on ya, but nothing can beat the classy look of a Speedmaster Prof! I mean since you already have a tuna.... (Just helping you prioritize )

·
Registered
909 Posts
Great photos and it sounds like you had a great time. It seems like they have the lighting in that boutique just right. The Seamaster 300 and Speedmaster look great on you. I'm planning on checking both of them out this summer and buying one of them. Both seem like the perfect watches to meet my criteria: matte dials, no date or no obtrusive date, long second and minute hands, and pieces with a story behind them. I love the space connection of the Speedmaster, and the full range of Omega technology in the Seamaster is just as cool a story.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Great pics and glad to know you had a good time...which 300m gmt did you not take a picture of? I am just curious because I don't think there is a 300m gmt alone, it's the chrono gmt, right? Just making sure I haven't missed something. :)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Great pics and glad to know you had a good time...which 300m gmt did you not take a picture of? I am just curious because I don't think there is a 300m gmt alone, it's the chrono gmt, right? Just making sure I haven't missed something. :)
300 m and (PO) GMT. :)

OMEGA Watches: Seamaster Diver 300 M Co-Axial 41.mm - Steel on steel - 212.30.41.20.03.001

OMEGA Watches: Seamaster Planet Ocean 600 M Omega Co-axial GMT 43.5.mm - Steel on steel - 232.30.44.22.01.001

The Planet Ocean is just too big for my wrist, the lug to lug and thickness actually makes it wear larger than an SBBN015 Tuna.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts