WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Top Ten Alligator Straps I've Owned...

67024 Views 68 Replies 50 Participants Last post by  HattoriQuokka
This was just going to be a post about the beautiful new 21/18 mm bespoke alligator strap I received today from peter.watchacc, but then I realized while it is definitely one of the nicest straps I've ever owned, I've been lucky enough to have had some really amazing alligator straps, both OEM and custom made or aftermarket. So, here are the very best alligator straps I've had. Hope you find this somewhat fun. ;-)

10th Place: Hadley Roma Genuine Alligator in Chocolate Brown with White Stitching (Model 2021; 20/20 mm). I love the chocolate brown of this strap. It's still one of the deepest and most even dark browns I've ever seen. Believe me this is actually saying quite a bit. It's much harder to get chocolate brown right than any other color for alligator skin, from what I've seen. I went through a stage when I wanted non-tapering straps. I had this strap a few years ago. Today, I prefer a nice elegant taper to my straps.

9th Place:
Hadley Roma Genuine Alligator Small Scales in Black (Model 2010; 20/18 mm).
Love the small scale patterning; it really gives the strap an old-school vintage vibe. Busier pattern, compared to more common and more expensive large scale patterned straps, matches up well with most watches, but especially simpler dialed watches. Relative bargain at about $90 USD. I miss this one. Might have to pick up another later on.

8th Place: Kay Straps by Ekamon Bespoke Black Alligator Strap with Dark Brown Lining and Stitching (20/18 mm; OMEGA fitment). This was the first custom strap I ordered. Ekamon in Thailand was very patient and helpful. I sent him a rendering of essentially what I wanted, and he matched it well. The black alligator was a little bit shinier than I wanted, but it still looked great. Really nice graining.

My original rendering that I wanted him to match:

7th Place: Kay Straps by Ekamon Bespoke Brown Alligator Strap with Red Lining (20/18 mm; OMEGA fitment). This one was the second strap I ordered from Ekamon. It was even nicer than the first one. Very beautiful graining. Nice bright red lining. Perfectly padded. Very nice strap with a lot of character!

6th Place: Bellini OMEGA OEM Fitment Medium Brown Alligator Strap (20/18 mm). The medium brown coloring of this strap was absolutely gorgeous. I've seen photos of other people's brown Bellini straps, and although they are also very nice, they almost always have a much more red toned brown coloring. Maybe this strap came from a special batch of Bellinis. Whatever the reason, this strap's brown is the most perfect medium brown I've ever seen on any strap, period. And the patterning of this strap was really nice and clean. I wish I still had this strap.

5th Place: OMEGA OEM Brown Alligator Strap (20/18 mm). Omega makes some of the very best straps anywhere in the market, IMHO. This one was no exception. Very rich and deep brown. Worth the high cost of OEM - just look at it!

4th Place: Black Alligator Strap with Double Stitched Master Compressor Style Cream Stitching by peter.watchacc in Thailand (21/18 mm). Truthfully, this strap could have easily been my favorite alligator strap of all time. The only thing that kept it from the top spot is the graining, which although nice enough, isn't very well defined. I like nice deep grooves between the scales. The padding shape and thickness is just perfect. Everything about this strap is beautiful. It's the go-to look so far for my Master Memovox. It just has so much more character than the (elegant) all black alligator OEM strap the watch came on.

3rd Place: JLC OEM Master Control Alligator Strap in Chocolate Brown with Rust Colored Stitching (20/16 mm). Truthfully, the top four straps all could've claimed the title of "favorite alligator strap of all time," here. I bought my very first JLC, a Master Control, used and it came on this stunning chocolate brown OEM JLC strap with rust colored stitching. Apparently some Master Controls came on this most rare of JLC straps (their words). It's a $600 USD strap, and it looks and feels it, for sure. Unfortunately, it was already in rough shape by the time I got it, and so my experience with it was mostly limited to me taking it out of the strap drawer to admire it. Interestingly, the outside skin was essentially like-new even when the inside lining was worn out.

2nd Place: Bespoke Dark Brown Alligator Strap with Double Stitched Master Compressor Style Rust Colored Stitching by peter.watchacc in Thailand (21/18 mm). This is the strap I just received today. It's actually the one that inspired this entire thread. I really thought it would be the "winner" here when I started writing this post. That's the funny thing about putting together these photo heavy posts - while looking through all of these old photos, I realized just how much I really loved the black and blue strap that ended up in the top spot. This one is really top-notch in quality, though. The graining is nice and interesting, but it's not perfect, and that's what ultimately kept it from the winning spot. I had asked Peter to make sure the graining was "perfect," and while he did endeavor to make sure every aspect of this particular strap was done to near perfection, it's just that very tiny bit off from what I was hoping to receive. Don't get me wrong, though, as it's very beautiful, and it's impeccably crafted. I think this strap really gives my Memovox a different, warmer quality. And I'm sure the strap itself will pick up character as it ages, as most dark brown straps tend to do.

1st Place! Bespoke JLC OEM Curved End Fitment Black Alligator Strap with Blue Stitching and Black Leather Lining (20/16 mm). This one was sold with my first JLC, the Master Control. If it was 21/18 mm, which is what the new Memovox I bought to replace the Master Control uses, I would have kept this strap, for sure. I mean, look at it! It's so beautiful. I might have to ask Peter to make me another one in the right size for my Memovox.

Well, If you stuck it out to the end here, then thanks for taking the time to read through my little exercise. Sometimes it's just nice to organize some of the old photos we've taken through the years in this hobby. It's been fun for me, and hopefully for you, too.

:-!

***** Some of the straps and watches seen above are no longer mine. Thanks!

See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
One of the best posts ive read in ages. Thanks for sharing. I want number 8 for my breitling!
Camille Fournet is the manufacturer of straps for jlc, patek, blancpain, breitling, omega, parmiagiani, zenith, rolex, vacheron, cartier and other high end brands . Camille Fournet straps are all custom made and can be made to order. Very few brands compare to camille fournet when it comes to craftsmanship or quality.
Reactions: 1
Camille Fournet is the manufacturer of straps for jlc, patek, blancpain, breitling, omega, parmiagiani, zenith, rolex, vacheron, cartier and other high end brands . Camille Fournet straps are all custom made and can be made to order. Very few brands compare to camille fournet when it comes to craftsmanship or quality.
I second that.

And I will add that Camille Fournet straps are not crazy expensive as you might think. I fact they are not more expensive than, for example, Hirsch high end exotic straps
Reactions: 2
One of the best posts ive read in ages. Thanks for sharing. I want number 8 for my breitling!
Wow, thanks for the high praise. Much appreciated. I hope you get something similar for your Breitling. |>

Thanks. I knew that already, actually, but it's still good to be reminded. I've had a few Camille Fournet straps, and they've been nice enough, if not the very best I've ever tried. This custom calf leather strap was really nice, but it turned out I didn't need the short length, and it was too short. The color was lighter than I had hoped for, too. Still, it was very well made, and the rubber lining was nice. Oh, and their tang buckles are very elegant. I think I may order a black one in regular length sometime.

See less See more
Those gator straps from peter.watchacc are beautiful. I have been looking at his straps for a while and to my eye they look like some of the finest gator straps I have seen and I have had tons. Just wondering, which would you say is higher quality, peter.watchacc or oem Omega gator straps?. Thanks in advance.
Those gator straps from peter.watchacc are beautiful. I have been looking at his straps for a while and to my eye they look like some of the finest gator straps I have seen and I have had tons. Just wondering, which would you say is higher quality, peter.watchacc or oem Omega gator straps?. Thanks in advance.
Here's how I'd rate these straps, in terms of quality:

Omega OEM straps = 100%
JLC OEM straps = 98-99%
peter.watchacc alligator straps = 85-93%

And here's how they rate by cost (from most to least expensive):

JLC OEM straps = 100%
Omega OEM straps = 80%
peter.watchacc alligator straps = 30-35%

Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out Peter's straps are pretty darn good for the money. Hope this helps.
See less See more
Here's how I'd rate these straps, in terms of quality:

Omega OEM straps = 100%
JLC OEM straps = 98-99%
peter.watchacc alligator straps = 85-93%

And here's how they rate by cost (from most to least expensive):

JLC OEM straps = 100%
Omega OEM straps = 80%
peter.watchacc alligator straps = 30-35%

Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out Peter's straps are pretty darn good for the money. Hope this helps.
Appreciate your insight. I guess for the money, they seem to be a great value.
I can't wait to get my strap for my Speedy 9300 which is on order with Peter. It is 21/20 and just a bit long but not as long as the Hirsch XL straps, with something cool but not too flashy on the inside lining.

Great post thanks for taking the time.

I could be wrong but isn't Peter closer to 50% of the cost of Omega OEM?
I can't wait to get my strap for my Speedy 9300 which is on order with Peter. It is 21/20 and just a bit long but not as long as the Hirsch XL straps, with something cool but not too flashy on the inside lining.

Great post thanks for taking the time.

I could be wrong but isn't Peter closer to 50% of the cost of Omega OEM?
Hey, GT. Can't wait to see yours. Please post photos ASAP after receiving it. ;-)

No worries. Fun to do.

Well, I meant that Omega straps cost about 80% what JLC straps cost, and that Peter's straps cost something like 30-35% what JLC straps cost. I think that puts Peter's straps at close to half the cost of Omega straps, according to those estimations. Not exact figures at all, of course, but just quick calculations, intended as a quick reply....
Well, I meant that Omega straps cost about 80% what JLC straps cost, and that Peter's straps cost something like 30-35% what JLC straps cost. I think that puts Peter's straps at close to half the cost of Omega straps, according to those estimations. Not exact figures at all, of course, but just quick calculations, intended as a quick reply....
I noticed that after I posted and yes that makes complete sense. Glad I don't have to pay JLC prices!
I noticed that after I posted and yes that makes complete sense. Glad I don't have to pay JLC prices!
I read somewhere that the service cost for a Master Calendar is like $1,600 to $1,800 USD. I'm glad my Memovox is still years and years away from needing a service. I'm not looking forward to paying that fee, that's for sure. I've trained myself to believe that I'm enjoying my JLCs at least 2 or 3 times as much as I would enjoy a watch that's half or a third of the cost of them, so... I'm still coming out ahead? :think: Yeah, that's the logic I will choose to employ. And by that logic, the straps are a bargain, actually. ;-)
Dixan, strap No.2 on your list is beautiful. Thanks for taking the time to post these. I didn't know that peter.watchacc made curved end straps. I wonder if he can make one that hugs (or intergrated as Omega calls it) the side of the case. I should shoot him an email and find out.
This is one of the all-time great posts. I wouldn't mind if the powers-that-be made it a sticky so we could use it for reference.
Dixan, strap No.2 on your list is beautiful. Thanks for taking the time to post these. I didn't know that peter.watchacc made curved end straps. I wonder if he can make one that hugs (or intergrated as Omega calls it) the side of the case. I should shoot him an email and find out.
Yes, he does make curved end straps. I've grown very fond of curved end straps that don't conform to the case. I'm not sure if he can do fitted curved ends. I'm sure he would be quick with a reply if you emailed him. Let us know how that goes.

This is one of the all-time great posts. I wouldn't mind if the powers-that-be made it a sticky so we could use it for reference.
Thanks for the compliment; I'm genuinely flattered. ;-) I'm very happy you're finding it to be helpful. |>
The best post in a long while indeed! I'm going to bookmark this to use for ideas when ordering new straps. Many thanks!
One of the best threads in recent times ... Dixan is the strap king of this forum ... Thanks for sharing Dixan ... The amount that you have spent on straps alone is probably enough to get a pre owned Omega watch
Very cool post and some truly fantastic straps.
Glad to see the Omega rated so highly, as I purchased one directly after seeing your photo's on the speedmaster :)
Great post, thanks a lot for taking the time to put it together.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.