WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to get a new watch. i really like the seiko yellow face scuba and the citizen nighthawk in black.

i like the fact that the seiko is automatic, has a yellow face, and a rubber strap. the size however i smaller than i'd like.

what i like about the citizen is the size and pvd coated color. it's a solid watch since i have seen it and wore it in person. i don't know much about the eco-drive system, the longetivity or reliability of it.

if there is anyone that can give me some feedback or personal experiences with either unit, i'll be thankful forever. :-!

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I've tried both watches and still own the seiko. They are very different pieces and not really comparable. First, the seiko is not really smaller. It is only barely smaller than the nighthawk, but definitely thicker. what it does have is a smaller diameter dial, which makes it seem smaller over all. As a daily wearer, you will find that the Nighthawk is the better piece. It is far easier to dress it up or down. It's solar powered quartz movement allows it to be used with little thought to battery replacement. The SKXA35, mainly due to it's yellow color, is harder to match to clothing.

Personally while I find the Nighthawk to be a nice watch with a superb bracelet, to me, it is a bit busy. I prefer the SKXA35, but then again, I have a bunch of other watches, so the need to match it to clothing is not an issue, since I'm able to rotate it.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Here's something to consider....

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
The yellow dial will garner much attention from others....you'll probably get lots of comments from strangers.
At least that was my experience with a yellow dial watch (an older Victorinox Dive Master).

It got old fast, and I found myself wearing it less and less (I'm more of a private person than a extrovert and I really didn't enjoy the attention).
After several years I traded my yellow dial watch and made the decision that I would stick to black, blue, or white dial watches.

Just something to consider.

Good luck,
NOM

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I bought that Seiko for my wife for Christmas this year. She's going to love it. It's a great piece with really great lume. She needed a beater so this fit the bill. I want one for myself. Too

Chris

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Hey, I just received my SKXA35 today actually and I love it. Much like Isthmus I think the Citizen has too busy of a dial and like the simplicity of the Seiko. The Seiko isn't big by today's diver standards, much smaller overall than a Samurai or Sumo. I think it wears very well overall. I haven't had any comments yet but I don't feel it will bother me if I do. Also consider the Seiko an ISO rated diver while the Citizen is a non-diver 200m if I remember correctly, whether or not this is an issue is up to you. On a side note, I think I'll be purchasing more SKX divers soon, heck if Isthmus is happy with them, I'm sure they are good watches!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you very very much for your replies guys.. i am still debating on which piece to get, i am however, leaning toward the seiko since i am looking for the sporty look and yellow face factor.

i will update the thread as soon as i make my final choice and purchase.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Citizen Nighthawk, and it's my favorite daily wearer (out of an, admittedly, small collection). I have an Orange Sumo on the way that may take over (I'm an extrovert, I guess!), but for now the Nighthawk is the cat's pajamas.

One thing I'll say about the introvert/extrovert thing is that dial color is not the only factor. I've had tons of people ask me about my Nighthawk. I think part of that is that there just aren't that many all-black watches out there, but the other thing is that it really is a great looking watch whether you're wearing jeans and a t-shirt or (as I was in court this morning) a pinstriped suit, white shirt and red power tie. It's much more versatile than most watches out there. It's light, keeps good time and wears very well (comfortable and good looking). The dial is really busy up close, but from a distance you don't see any of that . . . it looks very simple if you don't see all the numbers and markers.

For me, between those two watches, I'd pick the Nighthawk. I love mine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just got a nighthawk off the 'bay. Its the SS model, was considering a diver as well, but i like citizen because of the ease of use with the eco-drive and you should hunt down some lume shots of the citizen, that blue glow is amazing...can't wait for mine to come in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts