WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I have built up a nice little collection of watches in the last year (a few U-Boats, Glycine, Manometro etc.).

One of the watches that I purchased from a member on WUS came with a beautiful Strapsmith strap.
I would like to try my hand at making my own strap.
Can any of you point me to some step-by-steps or videos.
I have a good idea of what to do in general.
Clearly I will need some tools, glues, dyes, string etc.

I looked through some online retaillers that sell leather working materials...but they usually have thousands of different tools...very confusing for a newb.

Thanks in advance for any links or info.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'd be interested in a step by step or at least an idea on what tools to start with.

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I have made my first strap using mallet & needle(to make holes for stitching), needle, leather, knife, ruler(to measure holes), thread, you do not have to buy all of those awls etc, everything is around.

1. cut the leather
2. glue it
3. make holes for stitching
4. stitch it

just try, develop your own style, and learn (you are the best teacher for yourself in strapmaking;p)
and remember, the more you do the better you are

good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
i agree with dan, you need very little tools to get started in strap making, just experiment and definitely don't get a leather starter kit. all my tools are either improvised or second hand.

keep trawling these forums and practice, you'll find no right or wrong way just your way

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the input. Now I have a reason to hold onto all the various skins I have, after tying flies.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Karma thanks for the links, they were full of helpful information. I picked up a few pieces of leather at the local art store to practice with, I might even have an old belt or two lying around waiting to become a watch strap.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Buy a bunch of junk, try it out , see if it's what you want to do, then start getting the tools and hides you think will make it easier for furthering your hobby.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ok. Picked up a couple pieces of Tandy Craft Leather. Selected two pieces that I will use for my first attempt at a watch strap. I'll have to post some pictures of the leather and my first soon to be watch strap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts