WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i 've searched the whole internet for a totally minimalistic dress watch with black dial at 44mm...There is nothing at 44mm except the minimalistic series from a fashion company (Fossil).

I love a lot the following designs (100% my personal taste) :

• By Orient:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7n_btUTnf8
  • By Citizen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB0nj899324
  • By Seiko (although it doesn't have a silver case):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Anal...tainless-Steel&qid=1560794941&s=watch&sr=1-10
  • By Movado:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR0qb48le4U

Unfortunately all the above watches come at 38-40mm that on my wrist (7.7'') appear rather small.

Do you know any watch from a watch company (not fashion) that has a very similar design (black dial, silver hands, silver case, no numbers, faint lines or no lines lines for the hours and minutes) or do i have to do a surgery to make my wrist smaller?:-d

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Sounds like you are describing a dress watch and dress watches are usually designed small/average size. Even on a 7.7” wrist, a 44mm watch isn’t small. You will find more sports watches in this size but few, if any, minimalistic/dress watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
So i 've searched the whole internet for a totally minimalistic dress watch with black dial at 44mm...There is nothing at 44mm except the minimalistic series from a fashion company (Fossil).

I love a lot the following designs (100% my personal taste)

Unfortunately all the above watches come at 38-40mm that on my wrist (7.7'') appear rather small.

Do you know any watch from a watch company (not fashion) that has a very similar design (black dial, silver hands, silver case, no numbers, faint lines or no lines lines for the hours and minutes) or do i have to do a surgery
Price Range? JD and H Moser & Cie are certainly not "Fassion" companies. But over $10,000 a piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
19,999 Posts
OP, get that Teleio Ares and see how it goes. 44mm is big for an all-dial watch no matter how you slice it, not until your wrist is fatter than 8" or more. If it doesn't jibe well enough to keep, at least you're out only a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
This may be the one and only time I’ll recommend a pocket watch conversion... check out Vortic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
Minimalistic, and wears more like 44mm. These used to be available with black dial, you might find one pre-owned.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Black, all dial watches, without complication make for a classic dress watch. To then take this idea of understated elegance and make it the size of a dinner plate sounds a bit counter intuitive to me. But hey each to their own. They will be difficult to find if you don't want to go for a fashion watch, that is for sure.

As an alternative might I suggest any of the flieger watches. They are black, mostly all dial, and can be had without date complications and even logos. For good examples I would look at Laco, Stowa, and Wempe.

Nomos also does some larger (41-42mm) black dial watches in both the tangente and club lines of watches.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the help! Τhe price range for me is around 400€, so i can't go the expensive ones that you proposed. I ll probably go for the Ares (i hope that the materials will be good). Thank you SethThomas!

Note 1: I don't have a problem with fashion watches if they have good quality. From what i ve read so far as a beginner, they don't have good quality and the watch community hates them. That's why i said "not a fashion watch".
Note 2: It's not clear to me yet what is a dress watch and what is a casual watch. I mean, i cannot wear all these watches we posted in this topic with a polo shirt for example?
Note 3: I don't like sport watches (sorry but this is my personal taste). I like elegant, slim, minimalistic watches.
Note 4: For the matter of size, look at the following image (don't pay attention to the brand). Is it perfect for the wrist size, bigger than it should or smaller? This is 44mm and the wrist 7,7'' :

Attachments

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Note 3: I don't like sport watches (sorry but this is my personal taste). I like elegant, slim, minimalistic watches.
Note 4: For the matter of size, look at the following image (don't pay attention to the brand). Is it perfect for the wrist size, bigger than it should or smaller? This is 44mm and the wrist 7,7'' :
How a watch wears is very dependent on the lug to lug length. With long lugs a watch tends to wear bigger. As a dress watch the watch you pictured I would consider to large for that size wrist. I've made that mistake with the bambino, and now basically stopped wearing it. A dress watch should be small, unobtrusive and slip under the cuff easily.

In the end it is all up to your personal taste. You will be the one wearing the watch and you have to feel comfortable with your purchase. Good luck in your watch adventure!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Thank you all for the help! Τhe price range for me is around 400€, so i can't go the expensive ones that you proposed. I ll probably go for the Ares (i hope that the materials will be good). Thank you SethThomas!

Note 1: I don't have a problem with fashion watches if they have good quality. From what i ve read so far as a beginner, they don't have good quality and the watch community hates them. That's why i said "not a fashion watch".
Note 2: It's not clear to me yet what is a dress watch and what is a casual watch. I mean, i cannot wear all these watches we posted in this topic with a polo shirt for example?
This one looks normal if I just look at the watch; but if I scroll the page in my browser and just get a glimpse, it looks like a basketball player's wristband.

It might help if it were on a bracelet instead of a strap, but then wouldn't be understated anymore.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts

This one looks normal if I just look at the watch; but if I scroll the page in my browser and just get a glimpse, it looks like a basketball player's wristband.

It might help if it were on a bracelet instead of a strap, but then it wouldn't look understated anymore.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If you are going for elegant, that watch you showed on your wrist, is too big to be called elegant, relative to your wrist size, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@kepa, when i go out at night for a drink with a casual look (polo and jeans), men at my age (30-40) around me wear bigger and thicker dress/casual watches (not dive) and i am talking about men who are shorter and thinner than me. Many times the lug to lug exceeds their wrists which appears strange to my eyes. I don't know if it's a trend but believe me this is what i see around me. On the other hand, i see many older people (50-60) do the opposite => they were very small dress watches (maybe it was a trend when they were younger, don't know). As an example of the big casual/dress watches (don't know how to name them) look at the end of the following page, the advertisement photo of a man wearing the watch i ordered:
https://teleiowatches.com/collections/ladies-watch-straps/products/the-poseidon-silver
I believe that according to your taste, the watch is very big for his wrist.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts

That's an big "dress watch" big you got to go large or go home. For a slammin' dress watch that shouts its entry and commands the attention of the room, check out this elegant beast that surely belongs under a wizard's sleeve!!

ALso consider an Breitling Avenger. It is 48mm across and nearly 20mm thick, but because it's polished, it's basically like a dress watch .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts