WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a watch on Touch of Modern. The watch just arrived but arrived defective (an automatic with a second hand that sometimes moves smoothly, sometimes jerky, sometimes a second at a time, and a couple of times it even bounced backwards). ToM says for issues with products to contact the manufacturer, which I did. The manufacturer said that ToM is not an authorized dealer, but I could FedEx the watch to their NY Office and they will give me an estimate to repair it (i.e. sorry, no warranty).

Next is to see how ToM responds... A guess is that they'll take it back for a store credit.

As it happens, I also bought an iPhone case that, when on the phone, everyone tells me that I'm breaking up. Apple's case or no case is just fine, even in the exact same location. I contacted that manufacturer who just said "doesn't happen to us". So much for supporting THEIR product.

Do you have good experiences?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been trying to get some status from ToM on the repair. Today they agreed it's been ridiculous and would have their vendor Gemnation just replace it after doing nothing for over two months. And that they'd get back to me today with a shipping tracking number. No response to my support email in >10 days either.

Ha! No tracking number.

Supposedly Gemnation has had it for 9 weeks and never even looked at it.

I'd suggest caution buying from ToM since they're not ADs and you have to deal with ToM as the middleman for repairs. If all goes well then great. But if you need service......

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And a refund has appeared on my credit card.

Im still left wondering about ToM and warranties. Nearly three months and having to push for any action is not good.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I've had one experience with ToM and for a watch, ended up cancelling it before it was shipped and they were awesome about it..I look at the watch deals they have daily, and the benefit to working with them is they obtain a discount that say Gemnation won't give, thus why Gemnation was a dick about the process here. Thank OP for sharing!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Newest update: A package just arrived from Gemnation. My TW Steel watch with a post-it on it describing my problem and... same exact watch, same exact problem -- evidently untouched and unrepaired three months later.

I hate to think what sort of warranty you get from ToM if you buy one of their Rolexes or other very high end watches.

Heck, I wonder what sort of service you can expect to get from Gemnation on things bought from them directly!!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have bought a few mid-high end watches from them and so far I've had good experiences. I bought a few Alpina's that were new in box-- and I really went off the deep end once and bought a pre-owned Rolex. Also, I did cancel a watch once before it shipped, and that was no problem at all. Regarding the Rolex, I was pretty much panicking after I ordered it, since you really don't get that good of information. I was lucky and it came in mint condition. Even though it worked out with that watch, I don't think I would do that again- just because the risk is too high. As with all watch "warranties" from gray market dealers-- I would take any warranty with a grain of salt. I've just heard too much BS - and that goes for all of the gray dealers.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It seems that ToM's warranty is: arrange to get the watch to them, and then they'll send it in to their vendor for repair (or in my case, the vendor did nothing). But TOM's customer service seems quite good.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've had one experience with ToM and for a watch, ended up cancelling it before it was shipped and they were awesome about it..I look at the watch deals they have daily, and the benefit to working with them is they obtain a discount that say Gemnation won't give, thus why Gemnation was a dick about the process here. Thank OP for sharing!

This has been my experience as well. As soon as you cancel, you're refunded almost immediately no questions asked.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have bought a few mid-high end watches from them and so far I've had good experiences. I bought a few Alpina's that were new in box-- and I really went off the deep end once and bought a pre-owned Rolex. Also, I did cancel a watch once before it shipped, and that was no problem at all. Regarding the Rolex, I was pretty much panicking after I ordered it, since you really don't get that good of information. I was lucky and it came in mint condition. Even though it worked out with that watch, I don't think I would do that again- just because the risk is too high. As with all watch "warranties" from gray market dealers-- I would take any warranty with a grain of salt. I've just heard too much BS - and that goes for all of the gray dealers.

Before ordering, did you get any idea about the condition of the watch? The deals on their used watches look great (in some cases) but the limited condition description and the no return policy on the watches always gives me pause.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts