WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
glad you're OK. I ride and crash more than I'd like to admit, but never had a watch make contact with the pavement. What kind of gloves were you wearing? Normally the combination of glove gauntlet and jacket sleeve provides enough protection for the watch, so how did it get exposed to the pavement?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good to hear you are OK! Everything else is material and can be replaced. I would send the watch to Omega and see if they can do the rebuild. If you have a trusted watch maker in your area see what they will charge to do the bare bones and leave the damage for character. If it were my grail and it went through that type of ordeal with me, I wouldn't get rid of it. I would rebuild and pass it on, it will always hold a story. My grail is my Omega PO and I wear it for any large life items. It was with me on my wedding day and it always reminds me of that day. Maybe your speedy can do the same?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
As for my own repairs, my skin graft took for the most part, but I'm currently left with a hole about 15mm wide and 25mm long. It won't be as "pretty" as the rest of my knee, but I should still recover. I'm looking forward to PT this week. I took one of my bikes out for a little ride today. It was the first time since the crash. It is still fun.
Glad you're back riding, about to engage in PT, and that your skin graft took (15mm x 25mm can be managed I'm sure, hopefully stretched skin and sutures?). Anyhow, I hope PT really further's your healing. It can be miraculous.

Warm Regards, and Positive Energy Your Way

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I realized I never really closed this story out. Other hobbies and interests took over when I was able to get back to a normal life.

I have recovered with full range of motion and strength, though kneeling can still make me a little sore, and as promised by the doctors, it is easy to reinjure the knee. I had a bad step off a small ladder that sent me limping and wincing for a few days, and I had a fall down some stairs (landed upright believe it or not) where I skinned me knee without tearing my jeans. Now that's something. That relatively small wound took 3 weeks to heal!

As for the watch, I got it back from the watchmaker, and it was great. However, running the chronograph for a long period of time caused problems in resetting it. Turns out the hand on the hour register was not seated properly and it was making contact with the dial. This only showed up after running the watch for a while - an interesting fault. Recently the start/stop pusher has started to spin in its socket like the crown does. It does not come out and shows no other functional or cosmetic fault. I suppose I could take it back to the watchmaker, but I will probably just leave it be.

The dial cleaned up nicer than I thought it would. There are a couple of telltale marks on the 10, 11, and 12 o'clock indices, but otherwise you wouldn't recognize its trauma.

As for how the watch runs, it runs like a champ - back to its original accuracy of within a couple seconds a day.

All in all, I am very glad to have made the decision to repair it. I don't miss the money, and I probably wouldn't value a new Speedmaster the same way I value this one anyway. I haven't given up riding completely, but I do a lot less of it now. I no longer ride to work (actually I don't even drive to work thanks to COVID) but I might start riding to work again once things are more back to normal.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Glad you made it out ok for the most part. After I dumped my bike, I gave up riding because I felt it wasn't worth the risk anymore. My hard core riding friends scoff but I don't care. I love that you restored that watch, it's got some real history now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Man that’s brutal...glad you survived! Im not sure If take that watch off or do anything to it, it’s obviously luck as hell!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I realized I never really closed this story out. Other hobbies and interests took over when I was able to get back to a normal life.

I have recovered with full range of motion and strength, though kneeling can still make me a little sore, and as promised by the doctors, it is easy to reinjure the knee. I had a bad step off a small ladder that sent me limping and wincing for a few days, and I had a fall down some stairs (landed upright believe it or not) where I skinned me knee without tearing my jeans. Now that's something. That relatively small wound took 3 weeks to heal!

As for the watch, I got it back from the watchmaker, and it was great. However, running the chronograph for a long period of time caused problems in resetting it. Turns out the hand on the hour register was not seated properly and it was making contact with the dial. This only showed up after running the watch for a while - an interesting fault. Recently the start/stop pusher has started to spin in its socket like the crown does. It does not come out and shows no other functional or cosmetic fault. I suppose I could take it back to the watchmaker, but I will probably just leave it be.

The dial cleaned up nicer than I thought it would. There are a couple of telltale marks on the 10, 11, and 12 o'clock indices, but otherwise you wouldn't recognize its trauma.

As for how the watch runs, it runs like a champ - back to its original accuracy of within a couple seconds a day.

All in all, I am very glad to have made the decision to repair it. I don't miss the money, and I probably wouldn't value a new Speedmaster the same way I value this one anyway. I haven't given up riding completely, but I do a lot less of it now. I no longer ride to work (actually I don't even drive to work thanks to COVID) but I might start riding to work again once things are more back to normal.

This is a Zombie thread worth reviving! Glad you're OK and have recovered. It could have been much worse.

Sound like you and your watch are doing about the same- everything is functioning with a few battle scars to show :)!

·
Registered
90 Posts
well im glad you're ok but getting that thing fixed is gonna set you back some. I think it would be worth it for sure. It has a story attached to it now at least... right?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I also had the displeasure of dumping my motorcycle about 35 years ago, very lucky to walk away with only minor injuries. I am glad you are OK. I have told that story hundreds of times since then. If at all possible, consider the watches potential repair as one of the best conversation starters you may ever have for the rest of your life.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts