WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. I just started a new job as a telecommunications tower climber, and I am looking for a new watch to wear at work. For the first week, I wore my G Shock, but there is a lot of grabbing and awkward hand and arm movement on the tower, which is finished in a pretty rough surface, and it basically destroyed the screen on the G with scratches, scuffs, etc. So, I'm looking for a quartz watch that has a sapphire crystal. I would also prefer it to have a rotating bezel for timing climbs, and that obviously must be either ceramic or steel - aluminum wouldn't last 5 minutes without being torn up. It also does HAVE to be quartz, because I'm working around strong RF and magnetic fields that will probably destroy any automatic short of a milgauss or something.

Hard mode- I have small (~6.5 in) wrists, so definitely must be under 40mm, preferably 38mm or under
Extra hard mode- I would prefer it to be not too expensive (under 250), so I don't get all sad if/when it gets destroyed.

Any suggestions?? Thanks y'all

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
It's a shame most G-Shocks use mineral crystals still. I'll be curious to learn what you end up with. Just remember, ceramic can and will shatter with a good knock. Maybe a 20 pack of Casio F91Ws for $200 will hold over for awhile. ;)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, I had never thought about that weakness of Gs until I started to see some pretty big scuffs

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Do keep in mind:

Ceramic and sapphire are scratch resistant, but more prone to shattering due to knocks.

Is your casio damage mainly due to scratches or knocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do keep in mind:

Ceramic and sapphire are scratch resistant, but more prone to shattering due to knocks.

Is your casio damage mainly due to scratches or knocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's from like wrapping my hand up in between structures and bars and what not on the tower to hold on to it, so pretty much all scratching. When you're hanging 400+ feet up on a steel pole, keeping your watch away from sharp surfaces is very secondary to using your hand for other things lmao. The tower is coated in a sort of galvanization that leaves lots of sharp burrs and protrusions

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Keep in mind, there are protective films for your G-Shock crystals. I've never tried them but they could be a possible solution for a couple bucks each. Besides, G-Shocks have audible times allowing to to keep your eyes where they should be.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ that's a fair point, but I figured that since I'm probably replacing it at this point anyways, I'd just look for potentially better options.

I'll just add that I was in the Infantry for 8 years, and have never seen a watch get torn up like a week tower climbing did lol

·
Premium Member
3,836 Posts
A little off topic, but I don't see how you (or anyone else) can climb one of those towers. I get the shakes just looking up at those towers.
Joe

·
Registered
297 Posts
Marathon Tsar - 36mm and 41mm

Luminox, Traser and Armourlite all make various models with sapphire and resin or ss cases too but tend to be on the larger side.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Marathon. 36mm, quartz. Buy it preowned, sounds like you're gonna beat the daylights out of it anyway.
IMG_1268.jpg

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I like the look of the Marathons, but isn't the bezel aluminum? I think they're also a little pricey, too
Preowned around 400.00 USD. Yes, an aluminium insert.

Reactions: mattm0691

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
^^ that's a fair point, but I figured that since I'm probably replacing it at this point anyways, I'd just look for potentially better options.

I'll just add that I was in the Infantry for 8 years, and have never seen a watch get torn up like a week tower climbing did lol
What did you wear in the military? A G-Shock?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah honestly I had a cheapie like 30 dollar ironman for years and years and it never gave me any trouble at all. I actually kind of prefer them to G Shocks tbh, because they wear smaller

1 - 20 of 115 Posts