WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
yeah honestly I had a cheapie like 30 dollar ironman for years and years and it never gave me any trouble at all. I actually kind of prefer them to G Shocks tbh, because they wear smaller
Smaller diameter and thinner can only be an advantage in your situation.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am not affiliated with the seller or vouching for him, but it almost seems perfect..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Put the word out on the BST that you're looking for a Citizen 7828 or later "Ray Mears" in decent shape. Mine is 20 years old and looks great. 38mm case with the L2L 44mm It is what you're looking for. I wore one when I was guiding and later as a surveyor. No nonsense hardend Ti.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You’re going to have a really hard time finding a sapphire crystal tough quartz for under $250. Best bet would be a g-shock but you already wrecked one of those. And as you’ve seen, they don’t have sapphire.

a Luminox would be my choice for a quartz watch like this, but they aren’t 38 or 40mm and they do not have sapphire crystals.

Several companies make sapphire crystal quartz watches in that size, but not in that price range from what I’ve seen. Victorinox makes a 40mm chronograph quartz watch with a sapphire crystal, but it retails for $500. Although I’m sure you could get it for half that on eBay.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
yeah honestly I had a cheapie like 30 dollar ironman for years and years and it never gave me any trouble at all. I actually kind of prefer them to G Shocks tbh, because they wear smaller
I think his is an Expedition model. I bought it for him when he was 16 (now almost 21). Went through a strap and finally banged it up on a hike where it started condensing under the crystal. He replaced it with the exact same model. I think these are $30-40. He actually wears his 24/7 except, I think, the shower.

·
Registered
889 Posts
When you're hanging 400+ feet up on a steel pole, keeping your watch away from sharp surfaces is very secondary to using your hand for other things lmao. The tower is coated in a sort of galvanization that leaves lots of sharp burrs and protrusions
this, plus the fact that you trashed a watch in one week would lead me to consider putting whatever you buy to replace the G-shock in my pocket or somewhere other than my wrist. How important is it to be able to read the time quickly, and how often?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
this, plus the fact that you trashed a watch in one week would lead me to consider putting whatever you buy to replace the G-shock in my pocket or somewhere other than my wrist. How important is it to be able to read the time quickly, and how often?
Probably not vital, but once it was noticed that I was wearing a watch, I got asked what time it was several times

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I have the perfect watch for you. Casio Lineage LCW-M100TSE. The max width is 40mm, but there's no crown and it's 9.5mm slim and super light being made of titanium. Lug width is 20mm, so you should be able to find tons of straps to swap out. Solar + atomic, so it'll just keep running. My wrist is 6.75" so it should fit you perfectly. And, of course, it has sapphire crystal.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it's a JDM model, but available on the 'bay for under $210 shipped.

Reactions: Buick

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have the perfect watch for you. Casio Lineage LCW-M100TSE. The max width is 40mm, but there's no crown and it's 9.5mm slim and super light being made of titanium. Lug width is 20mm, so you should be able to find tons of straps to swap out. Solar + atomic, so it'll just keep running. My wrist is 6.75" so it should fit you perfectly. And, of course, it has sapphire crystal.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it's a JDM model, but available on the 'bay for under $210 shipped.

View attachment 15505030

Now that's a great option. I'm looking it up right now, but it seems to check every box

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had this quartz Swiss Army officer watch for 26 years. It originally came with a flat mineral crystal that I replaced with a low dome sapphire crystal about 2 years ago. This watch has seen everything and just keeps looking great and working perfectly. I have small wrists and this watch fits perfectly due to the relatively short lug-to-lug sizing. I still have the original steel bracelet, but have been rocking it on a variety of straps lately, including the single pass elastic nato from cheapestnatostraps for the last few weeks. The later swiss army watches came with sapphire crystals, so my first suggestion would be to look into one of those, e.g.: SWISS ARMY 24572,Men's,old stock,not used,Sapphire,With Tag,No box,100m WR (no affiliation with seller, just providing this as an example).

In any case, if you find a watch that you like but it only comes with a mineral crystal, then I suggest investing in a crystal press and swapping the crystal yourself with an aftermarket sapphire (assuming it has a common crystal size/shape). You can generally find a crystal press on ebay/aliexpress/etc. for ~$20-$25 and a sapphire crystal for ~ $10-$40.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Now that's a great option. I'm looking it up right now, but it seems to check every box
I'm glad I could help! And definitely don't keep yourself to that one model, there are a ton of JDM Casio Lineage models that should fit your requirements, with steel, titanium, and even black cases.

Reactions: mattm0691

·
Registered
13 Posts
Citizen Promaster Diver BN0151 I just bought one of these new on eBay for $150. Apparently they were only $90 new last year on amazon during their Black Friday sale. Bet you can pick one up cheap. Not sapphire, but every indication is that these last forever, don’t need a battery change because of eco drive and are an ideal “beater” watch. Citizen Promaster Professional Diver 200 Meters Eco-Drive Men's Watch BN0151-09L

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wonder if I'd prefer something that would hang off a belt loop, or harness. One of those carabiner looking things.

If you're squeezing your hand into crevices and wrapping it around things, a watch might not only get in the way, but maybe get your hand stuck.

21 - 40 of 122 Posts