WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Unfortunately after looking into the promaster tough, it looks like it has a long L2L of like 51+ mm, which is really too much for me, so that one is out...

I wonder if I'd prefer something that would hang off a belt loop, or harness. One of those carabiner looking things.

If you're squeezing your hand into crevices and wrapping it around things, a watch might not only get in the way, but maybe get your hand stuck.
I've thought about that too, but it hasn't seemed to be an issue so far, and there aren't really any crevices small enough that my hand will get caught up in them. A beater on a carabiner is an interesting idea though...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Unfortunately after looking into the promaster tough, it looks like it has a long L2L of like 51+ mm, which is really too much for me, so that one is out...

I've thought about that too, but it hasn't seemed to be an issue so far, and there aren't really any crevices small enough that my hand will get caught up in them. A beater on a carabiner is an interesting idea though...
The lugs do curve down, you might be surprised how small it wears for a 42mm. I have an Alpinist which is 38mm and my Promaster doesn't seem too much bigger to me. I also have mild body dysmorphia and my 7.5" wrists look thin to me! I won't go into the anxiety levels I experienced whilst waiting for my grail Aqua Terra (41mm), but it fits fine. I think L2L is sometimes misleading when considering fit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have you considered a Scurfa D-1? Quartz, saphire and lots of colors in your price range. I put mine on a nato, but can be worn and looks good on a rubber strap, or bracelet too.

Reactions: Shockwave

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Have you considered a Scurfa D-1? Quartz, saphire and lots of colors in your price range. I put mine on a nato, but can be worn and looks good on a rubber strap, or bracelet too.
I love how the Scurfas look, and I'm so close to just saying to hell with it and buying one, but I know for a fact that that aluminum bezel won't hold up for very long. If only they had one with a steel or ceramic insert, I'd jump on it immediately

·
Registered
889 Posts
A beater on a carabiner is an interesting idea though...
Yeah, I was thinking about that at the same time I made the comment about putting the watch in your pocket. If you destroyed a watch in a week, I'm not thinking a sapphire crystal is the total solution to your problem. A carabiner makes it easier to see at a glance, but also exposes the watch to random scrapes as you move about the structure, so there's that trade-off to consider.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yeah, I was thinking about that at the same time I made the comment about putting the watch in your pocket. If you destroyed a watch in a week, I'm not thinking a sapphire crystal is the total solution to your problem. A carabiner makes it easier to see at a glance, but also exposes the watch to random scrapes as you move about the structure, so there's that trade-off to consider.
It definitely wouldn't be totally safe still, it would be subject to getting knocked around and scraped against stuff and what not regardless. I'm not worry about the steel of a watch case getting mangled or anything like that; I just don't want the actual functionality of the watch to be degraded by being rendered illegible by scuffs on the crystal / screen. That's why I'm hung up on a sapphire crystal, and same with the bezel. I happen to like how aluminum bezels look a lot more than ceramic, but I've seen them get scratched even during regular day to day life, so I doubt they'd fare well for long on a tower

·
Registered
212 Posts
I love how the Scurfas look, and I'm so close to just saying to hell with it and buying one, but I know for a fact that that aluminum bezel won't hold up for very long. If only they had one with a steel or ceramic insert, I'd jump on it immediately
I think they have a couple of titanium ones at real good prices. Not sure if it is the case and bezel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just FYI, I’m about to list an Ares Diver 1C Quartz in the for sale section I think it ticks all the boxes your looking for, they’re extremely rugged watches.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Knocks and scratches like that on a GShock in that amount of time ?? , sounds like you should keep it in your pocket or tool pouch when doing that sort of work ,, in my opinion NO watch would last as long as a GShock in this suituation .

Hell here is mine after 6 years Boilermaking with its new replacement.. here's to another 6 years .
Also note the time on the old one , it was never adjusted in all that time 1.5 minutes fast over 6 years is pretty good .

Beanerds .

·
Registered
560 Posts
Which G-Shock were you wearing? Something like a G-Shock square might work well for you, as the square raised bumper bezel effectively protects the screen from any rough surfaces.

There are also G-Shocks with sapphire crystals, but they tend to be expensive.

Another option could be the Victorinox Inox. Good looking watch, swiss quartz, they drive lorrys over them and they survive in the advertisements. Don't pay RRP, they can regularly be had on Amazon etc at a much better price. The one marketed towards Men is quite large, the Ladies may be preferable (it's very much a unisex size).

Edit: Also, the Inox comes with a rubber bumper guard that you can attach during the day to make the thing damn near impregnable (y)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Knocks and scratches like that on a GShock in that amount of time ?? , sounds like you should keep it in your pocket or tool pouch when doing that sort of work ,, in my opinion NO watch would last as long as a GShock in this suituation . View attachment 15505171

Hell here is mine after 6 years Boilermaking with its new replacement.. here's to another 6 years .
Also note the time on the old one , it was never adjusted in all that time 1.5 minutes fast over 6 years is pretty good .

Beanerds .
It ended up with way less kind of scuffs than yours has, but a good number of pretty deep scratches on the face. Yeah I'm kind of at a loss; it seems like besides a G, there really aren't many watches out there that are actually meant to take abuse. Maybe I'll get another G with bull bars...

·
Registered
92 Posts
It ended up with way less kind of scuffs than yours has, but a good number of pretty deep scratches on the face. Yeah I'm kind of at a loss; it seems like besides a G, there really aren't many watches out there that are actually meant to take abuse. Maybe I'll get another G with bull bars...
I had a 5600 that I put bull bars on along with a nato adapter from jaysandkays on the bay. Ended up getting one of those Ali $50 stainless steel bracelet+case conversion kits, and it came with screen protectors.

The only issue I had with the stainless conversion is that the end links protruded a bit. I have a small wrist at 6.75 and I can pull it off, but just barely.

·
Registered
560 Posts
What missed with the INOX out of interest? It's definitely meant to take abuse, see below for video evidence :)

You'll probably get one for under $200, sapphire glass and it comes with a heavy duty detachable rubber bumper if you want to use it. 43mm or 37mm available.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
What missed with the INOX out of interest? It's definitely meant to take abuse, see below for video evidence :)

You'll probably get one for under $200, sapphire glass and it comes with a heavy duty detachable rubber bumper if you want to use it. 43mm or 37mm available.

I have been looking at the smaller INOX, I'd say that it's still a possibility... I will say that a 37mm watch that's 14mm thick is a little ungainly though

41 - 60 of 122 Posts