WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
It ended up with way less kind of scuffs than yours has, but a good number of pretty deep scratches on the face. Yeah I'm kind of at a loss; it seems like besides a G, there really aren't many watches out there that are actually meant to take abuse. Maybe I'll get another G with bull bars...
Bull bars ,, I like that idea .
Beanerds

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really doubt that a sapphire crystal will solve your problem. If your usage conditions are too much for a G-Shock, sapphire will probably not be unscathed. I put a chip in the sapphire of a new and not inexpensive watch just by swimming with it at a gravel beach. The wave action was enough to do it.

G-Shocks are very tough but by no means invulnerable. They would be my only choice if looking for a watch that can be used in most conditions. If they're good enough for firemen, the military, cops, astronauts, mountain rescue, adventure sports, and marine use, then they're good enough for the rest of us. And for many models, the price is a major point in their favour as well. They can do more for less cost than any other watch I can think of.

But it's still possible that your particular usage would put them through more than they can handle. There will be very few non-Casio candidates that could.do it better.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I love how the Scurfas look, and I'm so close to just saying to hell with it and buying one, but I know for a fact that that aluminum bezel won't hold up for very long. If only they had one with a steel or ceramic insert, I'd jump on it immediately
Can I ask why the aluminum for sure won't hold up? I thought Paul chose aluminim inserts for the durability. The original models had a ceramic insert and I thought they didn't hold up well so he made the switch.

I own this Timex T48061 and it's 39mm and thin and light. No sapphire unfortunately but mine has handled 15 years of abuse.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So I’m not really saying at 1400 this is suitable for your rough work environment, I mostly just wanted to comment that there are a few mechanical watches with anti-magnetic resistance equal to a milgauss (80,000 A/m) at a more reasonable price.

Honestly I think your choice is to find something like the many good recommendations above, and either toss it or pay to have the crystal replaced when legibility becomes too poor. Or by something more expensive knowing the case will look pretty rough, but you can replace crystals and bezels every so often.

The only useful advice I have is to be sure and choose something with a flat crystal that does not sit proud of the bezel. That will help reduce scratches.

Oh and maybe without any antireflective coating on the outer face of the crystal, that can get scratches that a bare sapphire crystal would’ve survived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
What about a band with a cover?

I don't have to use a watch in your arduous environment but IMHO ANY watch is going to get pretty scuffed up pretty quickly.
Most seem to be focused on a sapphire crystal but I'd guess that the whole watch is going to be scuffed and as you mention the need to hold on to towers through the lattice I don't think it will be long before you catch a lug and pull out the spring bars. And it's a LONG way down.

I was actually thinking a watch with bund and cover might do the trick but I hadn't seen a strap like the one here.

Another thing to do would be to ask the guys that already do the job what they recommend. They might not be WIS but they will have experience.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I instantly thought of just adding bull bars to your gshock and I see someone already mentioned that. Definitely think you should at least try if out, especially considering it’s a pretty cheap experiment!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, all. I just started a new job as a telecommunications tower climber, and I am looking for a new watch to wear at work. For the first week, I wore my G Shock, but there is a lot of grabbing and awkward hand and arm movement on the tower, which is finished in a pretty rough surface, and it basically destroyed the screen on the G with scratches, scuffs, etc. So, I'm looking for a quartz watch that has a sapphire crystal. I would also prefer it to have a rotating bezel for timing climbs, and that obviously must be either ceramic or steel - aluminum wouldn't last 5 minutes without being torn up. It also does HAVE to be quartz, because I'm working around strong RF and magnetic fields that will probably destroy any automatic short of a milgauss or something.

Hard mode- I have small (~6.5 in) wrists, so definitely must be under 40mm, preferably 38mm or under
Extra hard mode- I would prefer it to be not too expensive (under 250), so I don't get all sad if/when it gets destroyed.

Any suggestions?? Thanks y'all
F91W is the easy answer... But obviously no bezel... Does have the stop watch tho... Hour max I think🤔

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hello, all. I just started a new job as a telecommunications tower climber, and I am looking for a new watch to wear at work. For the first week, I wore my G Shock, but there is a lot of grabbing and awkward hand and arm movement on the tower, which is finished in a pretty rough surface, and it basically destroyed the screen on the G with scratches, scuffs, etc. So, I'm looking for a quartz watch that has a sapphire crystal. I would also prefer it to have a rotating bezel for timing climbs, and that obviously must be either ceramic or steel - aluminum wouldn't last 5 minutes without being torn up. It also does HAVE to be quartz, because I'm working around strong RF and magnetic fields that will probably destroy any automatic short of a milgauss or something.

Hard mode- I have small (~6.5 in) wrists, so definitely must be under 40mm, preferably 38mm or under
Extra hard mode- I would prefer it to be not too expensive (under 250), so I don't get all sad if/when it gets destroyed.

Any suggestions?? Thanks y'all
Casio makes G-shocks with sapphire crystals. Don't know the price. Check it out.

excerpt: "A clear, highly scratch-resistant sapphire crystal is installed to assure excellent visibility. "

·
Registered
181 Posts
Any environment that kills a G Shock in a week doesn't give me great hope for any other watch, so I would be thinking cheap watches with clear screen/hands that can be read through scratches. The bulk F91 idea seems like a good idea to me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Victorinox claim to make the toughest watch in the world, the INOX. I own one and it's brilliant. There are YouTube videos on this, one has a 60 ton truck running over it

·
Registered
980 Posts
Does anyone know why I can’t comment on for sale post?
New boy , my mate almost every website has a probation period and you my friend are in it sorry to say ,,, we will see you and talk again soon , if you are a real watch type of guy .

Can you spot the 2 Russian and 2 American watches in this photo ? ,, yes they are all mine .

Beanerds .

·
Registered
980 Posts
Can I ask why the aluminum for sure won't hold up? I thought Paul chose aluminim inserts for the durability. The original models had a ceramic insert and I thought they didn't hold up well so he made the switch.

I own this Timex T48061 and it's 39mm and thin and light. No sapphire unfortunately but mine has handled 15 years of abuse.

View attachment 15505359
I just cant help myself when I see a sweet Timex ! and yours my friend is awesome !

Mine has handled 1 year of work , play and is still going strong , Love Timex !
No not mine is not in the GShock territory but pretty hardy for hardly zero $'s as this one has become my weekend beater ,, lawn's , trees etc she is still ticking ,,
here is the weekend just gone ,, took out 3 huge trees along my neighbour and my fence !! . It's green waste day on Monday .Timex handled it easy .

Beanerds .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you thought about a CWC Sapphire g10 watch? It’s 37mm, quartz, has a thin profile, beautiful domed sapphire crystal, great lume, and fixed bar lugs for extra durability. I’ve been very rough with mine on boats, and it other than a few dings in the stainless steel case, it looks no worse for wear.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
One of the best looking options that I've found through researching is this Bernhardt Field Diver. Does anyone have any experience with this watch?

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Any quartz is more shock resistant than mechanical. Any digital watch is way more shock resistant than first two.
Any G-shock is more shock resistant with certificate....
So pick what you like it will be rather robust for most daily activities apart from hammering all day long but for than G-Shock seem to be sensible solution.
What exactly you intend to do with the watch?

61 - 80 of 122 Posts