WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Nah...the battery life of those models are already long enough. Plus, I was under the impression that with solar panel, the display wouldn’t be as crisp.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,288 Posts
Those batteryless models use capacitors.
So those are fine if completly discharged for years.
A big difference to normal lithium accu Casios.

It’s no major task nor a bank breaking one to change the battery.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Is capacitor another fancy word for rechargeable battery?
No and yes. One is capacitor and other is battery. They are different in way they function both "mechanically" and electronically in the electronic circuitry. Yes, because both store electric charge.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I just asked this question a few months ago here on the thread and was told by a senior member that the CTL1616 is a battery and not a capacitor. Am I mixing things up?

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,288 Posts
No, you not mixing up.
The CTL is a lithuim cell.
You store energy by chemical changes during loading and unloading.

The watch in the pic above is not using a lithium cell.

The capacitor is using 2 very large in footprint plates that are very close together to store electrons (without chemical reaction involved).
So the capacitor is not getting chemical damaged by deep discharge.
Con:
It stores just a fraction of the energy compared to a chemical lithium cell (of roughly the same size).
So this simple digital in pic will just run a few days without light.
Very much the runtime of an automatic in a drawer! :)

I just asked this question a few months ago here on the thread and was told by a senior member that the CTL1616 is a battery and not a capacitor. Am I mixing things up?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
So I was mixing it up after all. Many thanks for the extensive explanation. I was wondering about this the last time I asked the question and got surprised in this thread, but it all makes sense now.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,288 Posts
Your welcome! :)

For the casual observer both storage devices look very similar, even in component shape.
So when you open up one of those Batteryless Casios you might find a cylindrical metal button that looks very much like a button cell.
But its an "hi-cap" high performance capacitor.

So I was mixing it up after all. Many thanks for the extensive explanation. I was wondering about this the last time I asked the question and got surprised in this thread, but it all makes sense now.

Reactions: WES51

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
This is true. The CTL is a rechargeable lithium ion battery, not a capacitor, as d2mac explains.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts