WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tough Solar G-Shocks & Direct Sunlight Affecting LCD Displays

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ShockZone 
#1 · (Edited)
I am new to Tough Solar G-Shocks, I often leave my Frogman in direct sunlight on the window pane. While this is a great way to charge up my G, does strong direct sunlight have a negative or damaging effect on the LCD display ? Thanks.

#2 ·
I think that prolonged exposure to excessive heat can damage the LCD screen, so if I'm having my watch sunbathe, I leave it in a transparent container filled with water.

#3 ·
Even though sunlight is the fastest way to charge them, I put mine under my flouresent light in my workshop to avoid the damage your talking about. . I seem to remember the Casio book saying to put them under a t-12 bulbed flouresent fixture as opposed to t-8. I would think other flouresent swill charge as well however not in a timely manner

#5 ·
I seem to remember the Casio book saying to put them under a t-12 bulbed flouresent fixture as opposed to t-8. I would think other flouresent swill charge as well however not in a timely manner
I've never seen a Casio manual specify what type of florescent fixture; I DO find the different charging times between a 2002 and a 2011 manual rather interesting:

Text Font Line Number

Text Font Line Number

I've been doing the same "charge them in a container of water" in the summertime ever since I read about that on this forum, but when it's cooler outside, I just put them directly in the sun. It's hard to imagine the LCD getting too hot when there's snow on the ground!

#4 ·
I don't know... seems rather defeating to use a power source to recharge the watch. Solar recharging from the sun is natural and "green"!

I have seen very old G-Shocks where the LCD has faded... but this is due to the polarizing film having degraded due to copious UV exposure over the years. Such film can be replaced. The LCD itself is not damaged. You've got more to worry about with the bezel having frequent UV exposure to incite rotting than anything else.

A solution I find appealing is to apply a UV filter film to the window where you leave your G-Shocks for sunlight exposure. No heat, no UV, but plenty of charging.

#6 ·
Leaving a G-Shock in a container of water, it certainly will regulate the temp & prevent the G from over heating. But I figure a water change will be required after a hour or so, to stop the water heating up also. LCD fade will happen over time, direct sunlight am thinking may speed up the fade process.
Thanks for the replies :)

#8 ·
I am new to Tough Solar G-Shocks, I often leave my GW-200Z Frogman in direct sunlight on the window pane. While this is a great way to charge up my G, does strong direct sunlight have a negative or damaging effect on the LCD display ? Thanks.
There are 2 problems
1) overheating is bad for the rechargeable battery
2) UV rays will cause resin-rot over many years

So if you want to charge the watch in strong sunlight put it into a bowl of cool water... and change the water after it warmed.
You can't do much against UV, just change the resin after a decade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.