WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Im 15 and really new to the forum. Im tired of breaking crappy watches playing sports and i am going to spend around $200 to get me a good watch that hopefully will last me. I play hockey,lacrosse, football and workout almost everyday. I want a watch that can take a massive beating and keep going. I also want it to be 200m water resistant so its suitable for cliff diving and swimming. I dont really like g-shocks, i would perfur something else but they are not totally off the table. Help me out please guys!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Deep down what you want is a G-Shock. Get it - it'll save you money, and most likely grow on you. And then you will want others. The GW6900 is a nice one to begin with - tough solar, syncs up every day with the atomic clock. On top of that, it's cheap - you can get it anywhere from $75-90. It also clears with all your other requirements: 200m waterproof, shock resistant, etc.

For all the activities you mentioned, a mechanical will not be the greatest of ideas. If you still want to get a mechanical, I would recommend a japanese diver: Seiko SKX007 or Orient Mako. Good choices for less than $200. They are built like little tanks, can handle water like nobody's business, and will go a long time without a service. I wouldn't trust them playing hockey, lacrosse and football though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the imput guys. Im going to i for a g-shock and probably buy a diver in a couple of years.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,622 Posts
Quartz lcd watches like Casio G Shock, Timex Ironman, etc., will be far more durable than analog mechanical and analog quartz watches.

·
Premium Member
64,991 Posts
Hi Gus, I'm glad that you decided on a G-Shock as they do a vast range of watches that are very tough indeed.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
^^^ agreed - G - Shocks offers durability, a nice wide selection and accuracy !

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
It doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other. For $200 you can get a nice G-shock, as well as an entry level automatic diver, like an Orient Mako.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Gus, that's a wise choice, and it'll take you a long way as you get older!

But I just have to say: this is pretty sound advice too! |>
It doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other. For $200 you can get a nice G-shock, as well as an entry level automatic diver, like an Orient Mako.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gus, that's a wise choice, and it'll take you a long way as you get older!

But I just have to say: this is pretty sound advice too! |>
Thanks a ton, this website is great for advice im glad i came here. My plan is to get the g-shock for myself and then an orient mako or something like it for christmas. Thanks guys!

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,588 Posts
I use to think Seiko 007's and Monsters were tough until I gave one of each to my wife's nephews. Within 30 day both were trashed (I'm talking hand knocked off, movement broken, dial pins gone...level of trashed). The G-Shocks I gave them after that have some marks, but are still running over three years later.

Get atomic and tough solar and you have a watch you pretty much just throw on your wrist and its ready.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
What exactly do you break on your watches? If it's the case, get a metal one. If it's the crystal, get an acrylic one. If it's the springbars or strap, get a NATO strap. And if you somehow manage to break movements, a quartz, particularly a digital, is probably your best bet. The Vostok Amphibia on a NATO would have everything except for the quartz movement, and even the mechanical movement in it is pretty shock resistant. It's a much nicer looking watch than most durable ones, too. But other than that, a G-shock would probably be your best bet. Of course they can be broken, though. A friend of mine once threw his against a wall repeatedly to test its durability, and the strap broke.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I use to think Seiko 007's and Monsters were tough until I gave one of each to my wife's nephews. Within 30 day both were trashed (I'm talking hand knocked off, movement broken, dial pins gone...level of trashed). The G-Shocks I gave them after that have some marks, but are still running over three years later.

Get atomic and tough solar and you have a watch you pretty much just throw on your wrist and its ready.
Ouch. I thought I was pretty rough on my watches. My Mako's taken a lot of knocks and is pretty badly scratched, but I didn't manage to break it.

And I agree on the solar atomics...cool tech, never needs a battery, and start around $100.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts