WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It finally arrived! There is not much info on the Tourby Lawless 42, so I thought I would contribute by posting a review:

Tourby has a no-return policy, I quote "we make watch on order, so no-return". I found that quite abrupt, especially since some brand offer a 60 days return policy ... Hard for micro brand to match this, granted. But because I am not particularly cautious nor wise, I too k the plunge.

After lot of mail exchange with Lisa from Tourby and 2 weeks of waiting (I was informed of the delay before hand), the watch arrived in the chosen configuration: brushed case, brushed crown, straight hour/minute hands and red second hand, 5 links bracelet ... . Tourby offers a number of options on this model, in my case it was a seller;

The watch arrived by FedEx in a nice-but-made-of-synthetic-leather black box (apologies for the blurry/underexposed photo) on which "Tourby Watches, Hagen in Westfalen, Made in Germany" is engraved in big bold Western Style font. I was a little surprised (or disappointed maybe) not to receive the Cigar style box that I saw reading other posts on the Lawless Diver 45. I don't really mind, I will wear the watch, not the case.

As for a lot of other watches, the photos on Tourby's web site (or the ones in this review for that matter) really don't do it justice. This is particularly true for the dial, indexes and hands; The dial is matte black with a very subtle texture and the white print on it are crisp. The red print are more difficult to read because glossy and also dark-red in colour (little contrast with the background).

The second hand which is painted with a solid red and not too shiny nor transparent paint ( On photos it looks slightly translucent, almost plasticky). The lume dot on it is also absolutely perfectly round and perfectly centered. But the real wow factor are the indexes:

I was not expecting the hands or indexes to have such crisps edges and subtle texture; The hands are matte white which, in conjunction with the shadow they cast on the dial, gives a very very crisp almost 3D impression. There is a lot of bla bla on Tourby's web site about the indexes but I can now understand why. They are very sharp and give the impression they float above the dial. The indexes and other dial elements (lines for second marking) are perfectly aligned, and the small gap between the two indexes at 12 is "hair perfect". The only rather un-noticeable element (not a bad thing) is the date window; The black date disk makes the date function almost stealth; I had a chance to look at the Tudor Pelagos in a jewelery shop; both watches gave me a similar impression of crispness.

The Lawless 42 has a shiny ceramic bezel that gives it a dressy appearance. The markings on the bezel are engraved and filled with white paint. In my opinion the engravings are too deep and the paint do not completely fill them. This is particularly noticeable on the triangle marking the zero on the bezel as the white paint does not fill the volume in an homogenous way (similar on the new Chr Ward Trident Pro). The numerals don't suffer from this problem as the font is very thin.

The bezel has a nice polished coined edge (similar to Pelagos, SOH) and provides a good grip. To my non-macro eyes it looks perfectly machined and crisp. The bezel action is firm enough to prevent unwanted rotations, and with no play at all. It has 120 very sharp clicks that produce a not too hollow, not too high pitch, very pleasing sound. In comparison, the bezel of the Glycine Sub is clunky and noisy (only 60 clicks so it is bound to be more "mechanical"). I also tried the bezel on a Breitling SOH To me the Lawless feels better in action. The bezel on my watch is very (very) slightly misaligned to the right. It is barely noticeable.

Compared to the Glycine the Lawless feels like a rock (height difference ~11 mm for the glycine, almost 14 for the Lawless). and also significantly heavier (the bracelet contributes to this impression), However on the wrist, the Lawless feel surprisingly comfortable. It is thicker than the Glycine so wearing it with shirts or tight jackets it will get stuck.

The case of the Lawless is a little plain in my opinion. The execution and quality are very good in general, except for the brush finish which (on my watch at least) is not completely uniform in a couple of places (similar to what shown on Tourby's web site photos). It is barely noticeable but I was expecting a better finish at this price point. The top and sides are both brushed (polished side option available) with a very thin polished edge between both.The side area is quite large and if polished, might give the watch a very bling look.

I never bothered about drilled lugs, but I now think it simply looks cheap and the argument that it makes changing strap easier, does not justify wasting nice lug lines with ugly holes. Ok I am done moaning, but I will certainly pay more attention to this in the future.

The crown on the Lawless is simple, nice in size and shape. It allows easy manipulation and does not dig in the wrist. In comparison the crown on the Glycine looks and feels like the cap of a CocaCola bottle (got that from another review). The signature star is again much better looking than on photos but would have looked even nicer if it had been smaller and engraved rather than embossed.

Let's talk about crown operation; Unscrewing is fine and smooth. Pulling in the date and hour set positions is fine and with precise clicks and winding is firm but smooth. Then, when pushing and screwing the crown back to engage with the thread, at some point there is a click and all resistance due to the friction simply disappear! and the crown can then be screwed back very easily. It is perfectly repeatable and consistent so I assume there is a mechanism that makes it easier to screw the crown back. [EDIT: contacted Tourby and they say it is normal).

Flipping the watch over reveals the case back; To me the case back was not a decisive element in buying this watch, but looking into it I cannot deny that it is very nice indeed; It is intricate and exhibits a very smooth texture (looks like ceramic). It does gives a genuine character to this watch. I read on another post that this case back imitates what is on a coin that is given to US navy personal when they cross the Equator on a boat for the first time.

The five links bracelet is 22mm wide all across and all polished. Lisa from Tourby asked me my wrist size before shipping so bracelet fitted perfectly when I received the watch (nice). The end link fits the watch case well, but could have been made slightly thicker to be completely flush with the tops of the lugs. It is perfectly ok as it is though. The clasp is nothing special (and even a bit of a let down compared to the whole package). It has a bold "Tourby Watches" engraved on it. "Tourby" would have sufficed, and an engraving of the Star logo would have been even better.

The crystal on the Lawless is very slightly domed and this give the watch a very distinctive and quality feel. I had a close look at the Tudor Pelagos, and the Breitling SOH 46 and was amazed by how clear the Crystals were on these watches (maybe the lighting in the shops contributed to this impression). The Lawless 42 crystal gives the same impression and the coating seem to be of very very good quality (slightly blueish tint), much better that on the Glycine or any other watches I had.

Overall, in my opinion the Lawless 42 is worth its price, no more, but certainly no less either; The dial is the highlight of this watch, clearly. The bezel operation is perfect. The case back, you like it or you don't, or maybe you don't really care, like me. I certainly prefer it to the case back of a Breitling SOH for instance (I find absolutely it ugly and painfully plain).

There are not many watches with feature similar to the Lawless 42; The Crh Ward Trident C60 pro 600 is cheaper, fancier, more bling, and probably better value. But as a main stream product (that is my perception) it also lacks the strong Lawless 42 "personality". A Breitling SOH or Tudor Pelagos/Black Bay are similar style watches (in my opinion) but cost 4 times more. Tourby nicely fills a niche with this model, and does it well. In my opinion, the Lalwess 42 is a solid package at a fair price. You get customization options (COSC, 2 sets of hands, 2 case finish, 2 bracelets), a classy but very functional diver, produced in limited edition (500 pieces) and with a solid personality (the name, the case back even the dial design).

[EDIT: Accuracy was measured at -1 sec/day (more like -0.5 sec in fact) over a 24 hour period. Watch was worn normally and stored overnight (10pm to 6 am) hanging with dial dial perpendicular to the floor. [Update: after winding the watch and wearing it normally, it settled down to +1 sec/day. Mine is not COSC certified (option available on this model)

Hope you find this review useful!

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
This is a great looking solid built dive watch! Congrats on your new Lawless!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
thorough review, thanks for the time invested. I initially liked the look of this one but dont think I'd enjoy the dial/hands long term. The minute hash-marks outside the hour markers just looks off to me. The case back is fantastic and my favorite part of the watch! congrats on your new piece, hope you'll enjoy it for a long time to come.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Big thanks for throwing up this review and some hands on. Still a few things keeping my from adding this to my want list. I can def appreciate the work that went into this piece though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice to see a review of Tourby, have looked at them for quite some time now and your thorough presentation makes the choice easier. Congratulation with a very nice time-companion!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Happy to contribute!

Some more info. The Lume seems to be very good; I have put the watch in the dark yesterday evening at 10pm and this morning at 7am it was solid (almost as bright as the evening before). The minute hand glows brighter than the hour one however (seem to have more lume applied to it).

See end of review for update on accuracy.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
thanks for sharing, I've been considering the 'other' optioned version of this watch for a while now and with word from Chris Ward that the c60 w/updated clasp, won't be out until Christmas time-frame, I'm really leaning towards Lawless 42 in the meantime. I'm really liking the sword hand version w/polished sides and 3-link bracelet.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
^thanks, I asked about the Bezel alignment issue and the rep got really short with me, pretty rude actually.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^thanks, I asked about the Bezel alignment issue and the rep got really short with me, pretty rude actually.
Long time since I looked at this post.

Yes the rep is pretty edgy sometime, but a nice person in the end. She was very useful in helping me solving a problem I had with the watch.
But yes, I do think the brand would benefit from a better customer relation/communication.

It seems the watch is not selling as well as they thought. A shame though, I had the watch for some time now and it really is a pleasant and solid watch. I knocked it a coupled of time (nothing major) but it remained unscratched; crystal is pristine and the bezel ceramic is really tough. what is more surprising is the casing is mark free, which makes me think that they use a really good quality steel.

Time keeping remain amazing. I did not buy the COSC version, yet I am well within 2 sec/day over the last month of use. Just amazing.

Hope Tourby will grow strong and make even better watches!!

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Their upcoming JNT Edition Lawless looks really good too, I think their pricing could be better, the competition is just EXTREMELY tight right now when it comes to solid micro-brand divers, wish they would offer an un-decorated SW-200 version for less

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Their upcoming JNT Edition Lawless looks really good too, I think their pricing could be better, the competition is just EXTREMELY tight right now when it comes to solid micro-brand divers, wish they would offer an un-decorated SW-200 version for less
I definitely agree that the Vintage Lawless JNT looks real good. Sometimes I think it seems priced a little high, but then I also think about all the micro divers that are pushing $1000 that probably don't have the same attention to detail ( and may be using off-the-shelf and Asian cases, dials, etc. ).

I've almost pulled the trigger on this a few times. I probably should. All the watches I keep and bond with seem to be German anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts