WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! I'm looking at the Marine model of both companies. Can anyone please give me the pros or cons of picking either company?

I've done some research and watches seem to be pretty close in quality and build. The only downside I've found is the Stowa will take until mid-March to receive.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
With the Tourby you can customize it to your specification, the Stowa is an off-the-shelf watch.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Well, I don't have any experience with Tourby. But I own three Stowas. I would get the MO. It's based on an historical marine watch built by Stowa in the 1940s. It's a beautiful watch. Aesthetically, I think the Stowa is the more balanced, too -- to my eyes anyway. I've also never found the wait to be too bad, either. The first order, an Marine Auto and a Seatime, was placed February 11 and I received the watches in late May. The second order -- my Marine Original was very fast: Ordered September 20 and I was wearing it October 21! Just lucky, I guess...

Good luck with your choice!

s.

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,400 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm looking at the Marine model of both companies. Can anyone please give me the pros or cons of picking either company?

I've done some research and watches seem to be pretty close in quality and build. The only downside I've found is the Stowa will take until mid-March to receive.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim
Not going to go into details about Stowa vs. Tourby. Let's have a look at Stowa Marine Original vs. Tourby Marine 42mm or 45mm.

Movement: identical or close to be identical at least

Case: MO 41mm, Tourby 42mm or 45mm

Dial: Both offer roman and arabic numerals. I like the font of the arabic dial of the Stowa better, same applies to the hands (more aesthetical and in a better balance). Even the triangle at 12 is mirrored on the Stowa MO (love to details).
But I have to admit that this is a (very) personal thing. But I do thionk I am in good company with this judgement.

Furthermore the sub dial of the Stowa is more appealing (to me)....

....and is the better homage to its predecessor (obvious !):

Price: Stowa starting at 840 up to 1020 Euro ( already with swan neck). Tourby: starting at 849 for a what I think is a soigné Unitas, no swan neck though)

Bracelet: The Tourby bracelet (with solid end links) is a + for those being keen on a bracelet (1249 Euro). Stowa does not offer a bracelet with solid end links but a mesh bracelet (1000 Euro)

If case diameter and bracelet is not an issue I'd go for the Stowa (given its price and the dial/hand design).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I should add that I'm looking at 41/42 MM case, a Roman Numeral dial and ordering both black and brown straps. If I go with Tourby, I would pick the swan neck movement.

Mike, thanks for the mention of the different sub dials. I didn't notice the difference between the two and I agree with you that the Stowa has a nicer sub dial.

·
Sponsor
472 Posts
The Stowa is a very popular watch and the company is very tusty worth... you can not do anything wrong with buying a Marine from Stowa. I am sure you will be satisfied.

However, if you looking for a 42mm Marine (Roman numerals) with an Swan Neck movement from our company... we offering 2 case design and various customization:

A case model wit flame blued Breguet hands:

B case model with "galvanic blue Marine" hands (also available with the flame blued Breguet hands):

Price is 1.000 Euro Net (incl. Louisiana Alligator strap and deployant buckle) + 50 Euro for the bracelet. Delivery time 2-4 weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts