WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, "buy the seller, not the watch." But, here I am with this thread.

I have a Vacheron Constantin FiftySix in stainless steel that I have the opportunity to trade (with cash on my end) for an Overseas Dual Time 47450. Here's my predicament. The seller is on the big auction site and he has very few references. I've been in contact with him for the past several hours and he has suggested that he will accept an offer on eBay for the trade difference, I will ship my watch to a third-party (presumably his lawyer), and then after I receive the Overseas, I will authorize it to be released to him. He has provided me with links to a social media account and the businesses that he owns.

So, a couple of questions:

1. Should I run, not walk, away from this deal?
2. What extra precautions should I take if I decide to go through with this?
3. If any of you have gone through a trade like this, what should I be looking for to make sure I'm not shafted?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I don’t know how you do business on your neck of the woods. But that transaction you just described sounds like a mafia transaction
Personally I would run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
Mmh, I've never done a transaction like that. I once drove 4 hours both ways because the deal seemed good to me and I didn't want to miss it, but was unsure about sending money to a stranger. Everything went fine, but I'd rather loose some hours on a weekend than multiple thousand dollars.
Depending on the amount involved, I would say that sometimes a plane ticket or drive is worth it just for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mmh, I've never done a transaction like that. I once drove 4 hours both ways because the deal seemed good to me and I didn't want to miss it, but was unsure about sending money to a stranger. Everything went fine, but I'd rather loose some hours on a weekend than multiple thousand dollars.
Depending on the amount involved, I would say that sometimes a plane ticket or drive is worth it just for the peace of mind.
That's actually a really good suggestion. I'm fairly certain that it would be doable in a day. Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
For any luxury watch, it is a given that you deal in person just for the peace of mind. Lots of scammers these days and you certainly do not want Horology episode 2. Try to meet in a public place and go with someone and have them watch you from a place nearby while you deal. Sometime these extra steps are required when you are dealing in a luxury watch.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
You should also consider authenticity if you decide to meet in person. You need to ensure that you would be getting the real deal and not a fake.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I would avoid any transaction outside normal eBay rules, but as has been suggested, a face to face is the best way to go and definitely at a place where you can verify both watches.

After all, the seller wouldn’t want to receive a fake either(I’m not for one moment suggesting it is btw). If he’s not keen, then walk away.

If he’s genuine, you get the watch you want and a nice day out into the bargain.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've recommended that we try to meet in person. Unfortunately, there are no Vacheron ADs anywhere in our vicinity. Fortunately, however, my friend works at an AD, and he's agreed to take a close look at all the pictures to see if it passes the smell test. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Meet in person. Offer your friend a nice lunch and bring him or her along- If it's a scam you save yourself a lot of trouble- if it’s a real deal your friends presence will be a nice memory to share your experience.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are time-stamped pictures he sent. Everything looks good to me. Does anyone have any reason for me to be hesitant?

IMG_20200502_193114 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20200502_184428 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20200502_183152 - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Technically, if he accepts your offer on ebay, you have a right to the item at the price on ebay. There is no such thing as half a transaction on ebay, and for objects of such high a value as these, I would not conduct a transaction in the manner you described. Just don't do it.

To keep it simple, here's the advice of the immortal pop music group "Real McCoy" :

Run away
Run away
Run away and save your life
Run away
Run away
Run away if you want to survive...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Technically, if he accepts your offer on ebay, you have a right to the item at the price on ebay. There is no such thing as half a transaction on ebay, and for objects of such high a value as these, I would not conduct a transaction in the manner you described. Just don't do it.

To keep it simple, here's the advice of the immortal pop music group "Real McCoy" :

Run away
Run away
Run away and save your life
Run away
Run away
Run away if you want to survive...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow. Congratulations. That's great that it worked out. People say face to face is a good idea, but I might be uncomfortable meeting a stranger like that. I'm glad you stayed safe and had a good transaction! Nice watch too!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Update! We went through with it and I love this freakin' thing. Full story on the public forum:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/my-new-watch-risky-trade-new-friend-5179869.html
I read this whole thread and the story you posted. Congrats on the deal! And also for having a new friend as well.

People value inside ebay deals too much.. yes you are protected if deal is done inside ebay but their are couple of ways to deal outside of ebay and still is protected.

1. Do a person to person deal.

2. If #1 isnt possible only pay through paypal as goods, with invoice. And via credit card as much as possible. You will then have paypal as you're first line of protection and your cc company as your back up protection.

Congrats again on taking the calculated risk and paying off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Agreed; I am comfortable with normal sales, using a credit card and PayPal. That's how most stuff is purchased from art galleries, pawn shops, and jewelry stores across state lines. The 3% fee is worth my time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wouldn't involve a third party unless you trust that 3td party.

If you don't feel good sending someone your watch or money, then something inside your mind is telling you that.

Trust your red flags.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
495 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. Not sure I would have trusted the situation. Just an additional thought.... ask the time to be set to a very specific time and a specific website next time. That won't guarantee authenticity or delivery but will guarantee he actually has what he/she is representing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts