WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Transformers - DW-9500's in disguise!! DW-9500 Master Blue ;) (AKA more RIT Dye exploits)

Won a US Open Surfing DW-9500 and love watch, though i wasn't too enamoured with the green when it arrived. Seemed a little too pastel to me, a bit girly even :-d

After ordering some spares for it this morning, i decided to have a ride down to the dressmaking shop and stock up on RIT Dye :-!

Just finished doing the DW-9500 and i lurrrrrrrrrve the result, gave it a bit of a clean up too, but no rear case gasket so it was just a basic clean, hence please excuse any dirt on the casing.

Transformed from this...................

To this....................................b-)

I'm very pleased with the results, to say the least b-) looks like it came that colour from the factory, these Rit Dyes are cool.

Rusty

·
Registered
47 Posts
I reckon many people have done this to their G's and label it a "rare" G and auction them off for big bucks:-x

but still a cool idea to create something totally custom i suppose.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:p

can that only be done with clear resin straps, and how long does the colour hold before it starts fading?
Only dyed a couple so far, but it seems to dye the resin completely through, so i suspect it'll be pretty hard wearing and long lasting :) Dunno if it can be done with solid coloured resin straps, will have to try - i'll let you know how it goes.

Rusty

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reckon many people have done this to their G's and label it a "rare" G and auction them off for big bucks:-x

but still a cool idea to create something totally custom i suppose.
Lol ;-) anybody want to buy a DW-9500 Master Blue, not even released yet! :-d;-)

Rusty

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The color of the dye should add to the original color of the resin, no matter whether the resin is translucent or opaque. If you add red dye to a black bezel, you get black. If you add yellow dye to a red bezel, you get orange. If you add red dye to blue bezel, you get purple.

That's the basics. It is a tad more complicated though. Dye will generally only make the color darker. So if you add yellow dye to a medium blue bezel, you will probably get a very dark green. You will never get the color of the resin to be lighter.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The color of the dye should add to the original color of the resin, no matter whether the resin is translucent or opaque. If you add red dye to a black bezel, you get black. If you add yellow dye to a red bezel, you get orange. If you add red dye to blue bezel, you get purple.

That's the basics. It is a tad more complicated though. Dye will generally only make the color darker. So if you add yellow dye to a medium blue bezel, you will probably get a very dark green. You will never get the color of the resin to be lighter.
Hmmm, at the place i got the dye from, they had some stuff (still made by Rit) for removing colour, prior to dyeing something lighter..................might be worth a try.

Rusty

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YOU DYED A WATCH? That's awesome. Nice work.
Well technically speaking, i just dyed the bezel, strap adapters and strap after removing them from the watchb-) though the case of these watches is white...............no reason why that couldn't be dyed too i suppose, would be a nice effect i think on some jelly watches:think:

Rusty

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
No way!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the same watch... WOW.. what a difference.... I like the look of that watch before you died it.... I was saying to myself.. "this guy will screw up that beautiful watch" before I scrolled to the end of your post.... I was wrong.. the finished product is FREAKING AWESOME.............. :-!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I think you can do away with that military time tho..... ;-)

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
That transformation is freakin awesome. :-! Good choice of colors; that is a stunning blue, especially the strap! :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the kind words fellas :) I am extremely pleased with the result, the blue really pops out at you........

Gawain: I've used 24hr clock since as long as I can remember, makes more sense to me, especially in the work I do where there is a need to log times :).

Rusty

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hey Rusty, glad you could tell I was teasing you.
I just can't get use to military time.. and I even spent 4 years in the military. I have to manually convert anything above 1400.... ;-)

Cheers,
Gawain

Thanks for all the kind words fellas :) I am extremely pleased with the result, the blue really pops out at you........

Gawain: I've used 24hr clock since as long as I can remember, makes more sense to me, especially in the work I do where there is a need to log times :).

Rusty

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Hey Rusty, glad you could tell I was teasing you.
I just can't get use to military time.. and I even spent 4 years in the military. I have to manually convert anything above 1400.... ;-)

Cheers,
Gawain
Maybe that should be a feature.
Display both 24 hour and 12 hour time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts