WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo to everybody!
I'm waiting for my new Raketa 24hours cities of the world.

Since is all in cyrillic :-s I wondered if someone has ever translated it...

Sorry for my english, if you find some errors please be patient...
Thank you and season greetings to all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jealous! I, too, will call one part of my own collection some day...

Going off the one at http://andres55.home.xs4all.nl/24nowraketa.htm, let's start with GMT, Лондон.

Clockwise, we have:
  • London
  • Geneva (Zheneva)
  • Moscow (Moskva)
  • Saratov
  • Yekaterinburg (Ekaterinburg)
  • Tashkent
  • Novosibirsk
  • Irkutsk
  • Vladivostok
  • Magadan
  • Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky (P-Kamchatsk)
  • Wellington (Vellington)
  • Samoa
  • Honolulu (Gonolulu)
  • Alaska (Alyaska)
  • San Francisco (San-Frantsisko)
  • Denver
  • Chicago (Chikago)
  • New York (N'yu-York)
  • Buenos Aires (Buɘnos-Ayres)
  • Rio de Janeiro (Rio-de-Zhaneyro)
  • Reykjavík (Reyk'yavik)
  • Dakar

I never even heard of most of these Russian cities, I'm just sounding out the words - it ain't that hard; I taught myself Cyrillic one rainy weekend from a dictionary 'cause I was already familiar with the "Symbol" font. When you're bored and staring at your watch, you'll learn, too. ;-)

This might be a cheat, but I found one in the Latin alphabet, too (a couple different cities, and a very interesting romanization... Italian?)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
|> Great work! |>
I'm waiting for my new entry, when I'll receive it I'll post some photos so you'll can't avoid to buy one! ;-)

About "ZESTRIL" with Latin alphabet, I can assure is true, it isn't a fake.

I'm italian and I found some info about that dial (I've been near to buy one, loose for a handful of change..)
On italian's watch forums I found that those dials were made as a gift to Doctors (Zestril is a cardiac drug)
In Italy is common that pharmaceutic industries make gift to doctors to promote some products! In late 80's russian watches were trendy in italy and this was one of those pharmaceutic gifts!

Someone says that it's rare and more valuable than others, other says that's not so special cause it's only a promotional version...
I just think that it's worth only if you like it and it's at an affordable price!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Roman alphabet Raketa world cities watch

Ah, pharmeceutical companies. But I shan't digress...

In Italy is common that pharmaceutic industries make gift to doctors to promote some products!
Yes, that practice is also quite widespread in medicated America. Ballpoint pens are a perennial favourite, but occasionally things like golf clubs or vacations are in the mix.

About "ZESTRIL" with Latin alphabet, I can assure is true, it isn't a fake.
It's funny, that part didn't even really register. I actually would've just thought it said Estril with a logo. I'd seen the romanized ones before but passed them up, not even really considering if they were legit, 'cause how much cooler is Cyrillic on a Soviet watch? Ma ora mi sembranno abbastanza interessanti da un punto di vista linguistico... Ginevra and Londra are Italian, ma Y non è una lettera italiana ed è Buenos Aires anche in spagnolo... E Reykjavik mai si scrive con -ck, en cualquier idioma. Neanche credo que Jrkutsk è la romanizzazione usuale in italiano.

Per questo avrebbo creduto che è fake, ma ora se è genuine, con una latinizzazione mezzoitaliana, mi sembra un po' più attraente.

I just think that it's worth only if you like it and it's at an affordable price!
That's probably excellent advice for any watch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Roman alphabet Raketa world cities watch

how much cooler is Cyrillic on a Soviet watch?
:)
it's for so that I bought my firts with cyrillic cities!
next could be an export version or the zestril one...

Per questo avrebbo creduto che è fake, ma ora se è genuine, con una latinizzazione mezzoitaliana
:roll:I think to be sure of that we can only compare the zestril with one for the export market (the ones with "made in URSS" instead of the cyrillic version" if the cities words match we are right instead of we have found a rarity in the rarity!

Ma ora mi sembranno abbastanza interessanti da un punto di vista linguistico...
Are you italian or have studied it? you wrote very well! |>

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

GREAT NEWS!
Sorry if I wrote all caps but I found something nice!

Starting from your translation I went on with the comparison of Cyrillic names and Latin names and I found a nice thing:
all the cities match (you find Kamchatka instead of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, but it's the same), but in all soviet era watches there isn't Екатеринбург (Ekaterinburg) (like in the one from 24 hour watch Raketa)
but there is Свердловск (Sverdlovsk) that is name of the city of Yekaterinburg from 1924 to 1991.
So if you find a watch with Екатеринбург or Yekaterinburg you can be quite sure that is made after 1991 in Russia, not during the soviet era and you have to see "made in Russia" not "made in urss/cccp".

I think it's important in a watch that keeps it's value also in the era of manufacturing!

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts

There are a bunch of threads on this in the Russian forum, including a discussion of a new Vostok Europe 24 hour watch (they chose cities especially known for their space programs for this WUS-custom watch).
https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/translate-919373.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/raketa-24-hour-watches-896206-3.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/raketa-24h-2623-movement-rattle-939527.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/wruw-april-2013-2013-a-841089-36.html#post6242526

...And the new watch...
https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/custom-vostok-europe-watch-wus-russian-watch-forum-935445-18.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Sorry to reply later but I'm back just now from season holidays!
So I found hot water...:-(
But thank you for those posts, I can refine my work (I kept a world map and searched for the cities and their GMT time)
Thank you again:-!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts