• Prefer without

Votes: 6 5.4%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just wondered how important you feel this is on a watch? I am finding myself considering this more and more important in my enjoyment and choice of a watch. I'm almost religiously "anti-quartz" and find myself fascinated by the movements in a mechanical watch - so much so I have started to learn more and more about them (which was once for me a completely secondary consideration).

Because I am so interested in this now I feel that I need to see it. I consider it a thing of real beauty and want to watch it in action. More often than not I find myself now attracted to a watch because of it's transparent caseback (takes all sorts right?)

For example, somebody posted up the Omega Speedmaster Sapphire Sandwich - I thought "Oh I want one of those" (pic below - not mine)

DSCF7195.jpg

Then someone showed me the movement on the Zenith El Primero Pilot - it made me want one of those too (pic below - not mine)

ZenBDSpecial2%20012.JPG

How important is this to you guys?

·
Registered
45 Posts
For me it depends on the type of watch it is. For a big, brash, diver watch a transparent caseback is less important in part because there is often so much more to look at on the front of the watch. For any other type of watch though I consider a transparent caseback to be quite important as, like you, my fascination with mechanical movements is only increasing as time goes on and as I learn more and more about how they work.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Surely not a deal breaker for me. I have 4 or 5 watches with a glass in the caseback but for none of them it was a deciding factor.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I wouldn't call it a deal breaker for me but more of a bonus if a watch has a transparent caseback. The first Zenith watch I bought last year has an open dial which I thoroughly enjoy watching run every time I wear the watch. The second Zenith watch I bought which you have the movement pictured above is gorgeous and if you don't take a look at the movement when you put it on/take off you're missing out.

Sounds like you've got the transparent caseback bug..

Zenith Watches 1.7.13 (1).jpg

Zenith Watches 1.7.13.jpg

·
Registered
15,472 Posts
Important in that I like to see the actual mechanism, especially in the pieces that go to great lengths to make that an integral (the look/quality) part of the watch, like a Lange. That said, I would not hesitate to purchase a watch with a solid case back, like the Reverso's. Would give up the ability to view the mechanism if I like the overall aesthetic of the watch but would never purchase one with the view if I did not like the looks of the dial . . . .

·
Registered
213 Posts
I see it as a perk, but not neccesarilly a requirement.. It's always nice to daydream while looking at the movement running but sometimes I like a nicely finished solid caseback too.
For example I chose this caseback over a saphire sandwich speedy..

7803399226_eb40e9ba2c_b.jpg

·
Registered
241 Posts
On automatics I don't like transparent casebacks because the rotor is not aesthetically pleasing (generally).

Now hand winders with nice movements (like the Omega in the OP) look great with a transparent caseback.

Cheap automatics with transparent casebacks are silly IMO.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
I'm torn. I like being able to see the movement, but at the same time, I also like a nice caseback. And I also prefer the feel of a steel caseback on my skin than the glass (I feel like glass "sticks" in hot weather).

Reactions: CMTFR

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
It is not a deal breaker if a watch I am interested in has an exhibition case back or not. Some movements are very nice to look at, but since the case back spends its time facing the wrist, the dial is more important!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think it's a nice touch on in-house movements with great finishing. I love mine on the JLC MUT Moon, although it's actually not a mind-blowing movement.

For dive watches though, I usually could care less. Those are more rugged movements, many of them are just ETAs, and decoration seems less important for a tool watch (although the Rolex calibers are by no means poorly decorated, I would not turn a Rolex over every day -- even if it had a transparent case back -- to take a gander at its movement).

·
Registered
Oris Aquis Date titanium
5,316 Posts
Just a nice little bonus if it has a display back but not too bothered. But then again the only watches I can afford are around the £500 mark, which don't have the nicest movements. If I could afford those high end watches I think I would desire a display back more.

I would like to see quartz display backs!

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
If I have paid alot of money for a watch with an interesting or nicely decorated movement I like to be able to see it. For a more affordable watch with a basic movement it is not important to me.

·
Banned
750 Posts
Meh, I like to look at them now and then but it isn't something that would sway me one way or the other really.
Just before Christmas I bought a Speedmaster Racing which I had only seen online and had been advertised incorrectly as having a display case back. When the watch arrived it had a solid back, I wasn't bothered.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
For me, it's more of an added bonus rather than a necessity. I love to be able to see the movement, but at the end of the day, it's definitly not a requirement since I can't see it when it's on my wrist. If I liked two watch faces equally, a display back would definitely sway me to that watch's favor.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just before Christmas I bought a Speedmaster Racing which I had only seen online and had been advertised incorrectly as having a display case back. When the watch arrived it had a solid back, I wasn't bothered.
You're more relaxed than me.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts