WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Would you put a transparent caseback on your Rolex?

• Sure why not

Votes: 51 30.0%
  • Maybe if the caseback is nice

Votes: 36 21.2%
  • Hell no !

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 5.9%
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, would you put a see-through caseback on your precious Rolex? Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello everyone, would you put a see-through caseback on your precious Rolex? Let me know what you think.
I've been thinking about adding a transparent caseback to my watch for a while now. Not sure where I would get a good quality one,though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found nice ones, I'm just not sure I'm ready to do it. Kind of undecided. Is it considered spam if I tell you what site sells them?

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
i voted no, only because it would almost certainly go unnoticed unless specifically pointed out during a conversation about watches.

it spends entirely too much time on my wrist to justify an exhibition caseback.

and by entirely too much time, i mean exactly the amount of time i like :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right withthesword, it does not show much since it's on our wrist most of the time but it's nice when you show the watch to someone or even when you want to look at the movement...

·
Premium Member
9,416 Posts
<|

IMHO it would be wrong, just plain wrong. This is a Rolex - they have "oyster" cases not see through sapphire cases. The oyster case is partly what made Rolex and they still proudly stamp it on their dials. Sure you can get a reasonably waterproof sapphire case back, but to do this on Rolex would be like putting fluffy dice on a porche!

si

·
Banned
1,219 Posts
<|

IMHO it would be wrong, just plain wrong. This is a Rolex - they have "oyster" cases not see through sapphire cases. The oyster case is partly what made Rolex and they still proudly stamp it on their dials. Sure you can get a reasonably waterproof sapphire case back, but to do this on Rolex would be like putting fluffy dice on a porche!

si
I think thats exactly the point the OP is kind of making, most people now buy new Rolex watches for there "look at me appeal" not there oyster/resistance heritage and probably do have a porsche or some equally expensive car/symbol so it just adds to the look at me appeal.

I definately think it would make a great option, see through case back and maybe a decorated movement :-!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it seems like there is a majority of "Hell no!". I thought the results would be more spread out.

Here are the pictures of the actual caseback I am thinking of getting.

·
Registered
963 Posts
It's hardly a "majority" of hell-no, except for the few who have responded... And perhaps they are the same who obsess about every scratch........ put their "Rollie" to bed at night, and constantly ask "How do I wash my baby"......:think:

Here's one of mine with a very nice clear back.......... I've even published a how-to article that is somewhat popular......

Now, I will admit that I do not have a clear caseback on the other dozen Rolex watches that I own and wear............

·
Registered
348 Posts
-----------------------
Quote:
It's hardly a "majority" of hell-no, except for the few who have responded... And perhaps they are the same who obsess about every scratch........ put their "Rollie" to bed at night, and constantly ask "How do I wash my baby"....
-----------------------
I'm in the HELL NO category and I certainly am NOT one of those that baby their Rolexes.. I wear mine 24/7 and actually prefer them all scratched up. In my opinion a clear back has no place on a work watch (Sub/Date and GMT for me).

·
Registered
188 Posts
I find it odd a clear back is not on the factory watches.

Once upon a time when you restored an old car every number had to match. Exact stereo exact speakers everything exact or you were looked down on.

How about the guy what wants tinted windows with a cd player?? How about tires and rims different shocks and maybe a moon roof??

I think the clear back is one of the "changes" I will do to my GMT Master II.

It would not be less it would be more as long as the watch remains protected.

·
Premium Member
9,416 Posts
It's hardly a "majority" of hell-no, except for the few who have responded... And perhaps they are the same who obsess about every scratch........ put their "Rollie" to bed at night, and constantly ask "How do I wash my baby"......:think:
Actually the vast majority have voted "hell no" - that poll is surely indicative of general opinion. Far from nurse-maiding their watches, I suspect the "hell no's" are the ones who use their watches as tools and dont want it off their wrists looking at the less than pretty movement. The sapphire crystal back is for dressy watches with dressed up movements - this is a tool watch with a tool movement. I suspect those who want a see-through-back are more likely to be those who buy their watches as jewellery and aesthetic objects to stare at and stroke whilst those who voted "hell no" bought them because they are rugged, reliable, get the job done, tool watches. They want them to tell the time, not so they can turn them wrong side up and watch a spring pulse and a rota rotate.

si

·
Registered
348 Posts
actually the vast majority have voted "hell no" - that poll is surely indicative of general opinion. Far from nurse-maiding their watches, i suspect the "hell no's" are the ones who use their watches as tools and dont want it off their wrists looking at the less than pretty movement. The sapphire crystal back is for dressy watches with dressed up movements - this is a tool watch with a tool movement. I suspect those who want a see-through-back are more likely to be those who buy their watches as jewellery and aesthetic objects to stare at and stroke whilst those who voted "hell no" bought them because they are rugged, reliable, get the job done, tool watches. They want them to tell the time, not so they can turn them wrong side up and watch a spring pulse and a rota rotate.

Si
Exactly!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My one and only Rolex is an Explorer. No date, no bezel, nothing extra.

It's my fourth Rolex - in my early work career, I started up steel and paper mills. You might be hard-pressed to find a professional career that's rougher on watches. You're constantly around motor rooms, climbing in and out of lines as you troubleshoot issues. Startups are dangerous - you're coordinating everything that enables a mill to make a product. I was fortunate to start up lines in 15 states and even in the Netherlands. Very satisfying work - but dangerous. I know engineers that have lost limbs and suffered serious burns as something electrical failed.

Of the four, I only broke one - a Sub that didn't survive when both of us hit a concrete floor as "we" dodged a "breakout" in a steel mill.

I guess there's a reason for a sapphire back but it's not necessary for my tastes. If that's what you want, go for it! Maybe now that I'm tied to a desk, I might reconsider it...but I doubt it. There are my other hobbies to consider and they don't involve the opera. :-d

1 - 20 of 78 Posts