WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm flying out to Hong Kong on my honeymoon next week.;-)

I was thinking of doing some tax free shopping.:-!

Having never been to HK as an adult, are there any AD's I should check out in case I am 'allowed' to buy my third Omega? Besides AD's, are there any reputable stores selling pre-owned watches?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Let me guess, you are getting married? :-s

Congrats. :-!

I know nothing about buying in Hong Kong but I assume it is the kind of city where you could buy anything.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
While I can't name any reputable stores in HK, I do know that its' a haven for watch buyers, along with Dubai (at least these days). Most of my friends who like buying Swiss watches go to HK solely for this purpose, as they are really less expensive there.

Personally I would avoid the boutiques, and the "tourist price" syndrome. I'm sure once you show AD's that you possess a certain amount of knowledge on pricing they will mark down just to sell.

Glimmer

·
Registered
504 Posts
Can you still get deals in HK? I seem to recall that the prices had caught up.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Can you still get deals in HK? I seem to recall that the prices had caught up.
As late as a few months ago a friend of mine was there and he mentioned that yes, prices did go up but relatively speaking were still lower than Europe and America. However, he does speak the language and probably has been there a hundred times so he knows every nook and cranny and the art of the deal in HK.

Deals can be made anywhere I guess as long as you are diligent enough to look around, I was able to find an Aqua Terra in London this year at almost 50% off, but I really had to track that piece down...with a lot of patience and a little help from a good friend...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm flying out to Hong Kong on my honeymoon next week.;-)

I was thinking of doing some tax free shopping.:-!

Having never been to HK as an adult, are there any AD's I should check out in case I am 'allowed' to buy my third Omega? Besides AD's, are there any reputable stores selling pre-owned watches?
Hi Anonymous congrats on the wedding.

Hong kong is one of the best places to go shopping, make sure you do some research on where to go theres heaps of shopping centres and it seems every time i go maxing the credit card seems to easy..o| there are many watch shops in hong kong.

I went to the AD in causeway bay in times sqaure above the mtr station - Elegant watch & Jewellery company limited - got a good bargain for my tag, my gf's + bros omegas.

Best of luck and enjoy Hong Kong, one of the best places to visit in asia.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I believe you can hire a "shopping" consultant there. Expensive, but apparently worth the price.

I grew up there....left in 1977....so what I remember is not what it is anymore.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I visit Hong Kong several times a year, having done so since the early 90s. I can assure you it is still very inexpensive and with the current strength of the Aussie dollar (HKD is pegged to USD) you will not believe watch prices when you do the conversion. One example: Rolex Sea-Dweller in Melbourne AUS$7,500 and no discount available on this model, in Hong Kong AUS$4,900. Omegas should be even better deals. Walk away from anything less than 30% below RRP. There is so much competition for your business from the hundreds (yes, hundreds) of ADs in Hong Kong that you might just as well go to one of the large chains. Chow Tai Fook is as good as any I've seen.

But if you want electrical goods etc, avoid the vendors in Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui. They are experts at a variety of rip-offs you wouldn't even imagine. Go up to Mong Kok, and don't forget to haggle, even in the shops.

Enjoy the city. I strongly recommend getting an Octopus when you arrive at the airport. Google 'octopus card hong kong', it is the way to get around quickly, cheaply, safely. (although HK is one of the safest cities on earth)

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard that if one is the first customer of the day, he may get a super deal due to local superstition in hk. Anyone heard of this or even better, tried it?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Vendors will certainly tell you that they give a better price for the first sale of the day -- the Chinese are quite superstitious and luck is an important part of their lives, so it is likely to have some truth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts