WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About a month ago my son told me there some watches for sale in a laundry at the train station near his school. Seemed unlikely but happy that he was scoping out potential watches for me. ;-) Thought no more of it.

Last night was my turn to attend parent teacher night. Wasn't looking forward to it as it had been a cold grey day and busy at work so I was a little beat, but I rushed home picked him up and we made our way across the now rain soaked city to his school.

After meeting his teachers we hoped in the car and crawled along the dark and wet streets. As we approached the station he said " That laundry place might be open do you want to have a look?". OK, if we can get a park. It was late night shopping and the streets bustled with shoppers and commuters. We pulled up behind a tram that was unloading passengers right outside the station. Peering through the rain I said " not looking good"suddenly a car indicator light sparked to life right in front of us reflecting in the rain droplets on our windscreen. The car pulled out and we pulled right in.

Hugging our coats we walked up the red brick laneway towards the station entrance past an army disposal store, a bookshop and a little Italian coffee house.

We turned a corner and a tiny shop meet us. Its window light spilling out onto the pavement. Above the door a sign reads Tailor , and in smaller writing , same day dry cleaning. Looking in a shelf held a dozen watches sitting somewhat oddly in front of a manikin dressed in a long flowing dress. Behind the dress a small curtain separated this display from the working machinery of tailor and dry cleaner.

Plenty of ladies watches and an interesting Lusina chronograph but its copper dial had burnished beyond the legible. Next to it was a tidy little trench style watch. We entered the door and I could see a Chinese gent cover his teacup with a ceramic cap and look up to greet us.Can we see your watches my son burst out? He nodded yes. I put my finger against the glass opposite the trench and he pulled it off display.

Turns out he is a collector himself. We talked about watches for 20 minutes or so. I turned the trench in my hand liking it a lot and his price was very reasonable, we did barter but not too seriously on my part as I was already happy with the price. So isn't it interesting how we find our watches. Here is a movement shot. I think its an AS 340 variant dated to the late 20's but would welcome any comment on it.

And a wrist shot.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Very nice James....

Like the story that came with it.... Most interesting to me is how you use your children as watch scouts - nice work ;-)

Any hallmarks on the case?

Reactions: James A

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Hi James,

truly nice find, and nice yarn to it, too ;-)

(...) So isn't it interesting how we find our watches.
Absolutely! This one wanted to be your's - I have a few who wanted to be mine, so I know what I'm talking about ;-)

Not sure what to recommend regarding the case - the black tarnishing looks just nice. On the other hand, I'd love to see the silver cleaned and shiny.

Have fun with it!

Best,
Tomcat

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Great find James, a Trench is my wanted watch too.
The mark on the case is the standing bear, and is the Swiss watch export mark for .875 silver and above, between 1882 and 1934.
This mark was compulory for watch cases, but optional on other silver items.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Nice watch enjoy.
a

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
To be honest I thought from the title that you'd found a watch that had been through a washing machine or something. washing-machine.gif

Quite a relief! Nice catch and a nice story.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
To be honest I thought from the title that you'd found a watch that had been through a washing machine or something.
HaHa...me too.

So isn't it interesting how we find our watches.
They turn up in the strangest places sometimes...A great catch. I bet you have yourself a new dry-cleaner...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Love the story and your 'written embellishments' on the 'experience' ! Grabbing an interesting watch of course is nice and involving family even better ! Experiences for a lifetime - watches maybe...! Scott

PS - having worked with one of the banks in Melbourne and also I had a Post-Doc research grant I ended up not taking at the University of Melbourne - I Love Melbourne ! So I was picturing the city as I read your description..

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Gedday...

I stumbled across the same shop today!

The Lusina Chronograph is still in the window along with some other mechanicals. Omega, Seiko and Venus. I liked the look of the Venus for $55...

The owner also showed me another watch very similar to your Trench! If I had seen this thread first I would have snapped a pic for you.

Can anyone supply info on the Venus?

Ita

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Pics...

Ita

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
738 Posts
Nice writing and nice story!!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi or better G'day,

How funny! First you find the shop and then you find this thread. I will go back to him again sometime and I must say I am very happy with the watch I purchased from him.
Here is some info on the Venus watch company...

History : Venus

They look to have folded at some stage but have been revived recently. Don't think there is any relationship to the movement maker but others may know more.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Thanks... Some interesting pics and drawings in that article. I might post the Venus on the public forum for further info.

Ita

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
I might post the Venus on the public forum for further info.
They usually move vintage watches to here - so there would be little point.;-)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
They usually move vintage watches to here - so there would be little point.;-)
Thanks champ...

Maybe you can explain to me what constitutes Vintage? '60s, '70s or earlier?

Ita

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
There's no fixed definition. But generally, I'd say, pre-1980's but with some later exceptions. Certainly 70's watches are considered vintage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts