WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for objective and educated opinions on Trias and Theorema and their histories. Also, how do you prounounce these names? Are they German made?
Thanks.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've never heard of Theorema, so can't comment. As to Trias, I could suggest that you take your question to the German Watch forum :roll: but, believe me, you don't want to do that... My best information is that Trias is a German internet brand that uses both Swiss and Chinese movements, for the most part cased in Asia. However, I own a Trias diver myself and found the price very reasonable for an ETA 2824-2 automatic. Fit and finish are good for the price range. If you're looking for a watch with a 100% German pedigree, stay away. However, if you're looking for a pretty good watch at a good price, you could do worse. I bought mine from Island Watch, which is a WUS sponsor. Mark is a pleasure to deal with and very informative about the lines he carries.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've never heard of Theorema, so can't comment. As to Trias, I could suggest that you take your question to the German Watch forum :roll: but, believe me, you don't want to do that... My best information is that Trias is a German internet brand that uses both Swiss and Chinese movements, for the most part cased in Asia. However, I own a Trias diver myself and found the price very reasonable for an ETA 2824-2 automatic. Fit and finish are good for the price range. If you're looking for a watch with a 100% German pedigree, stay away. However, if you're looking for a pretty good watch at a good price, you could do worse. I bought mine from Island Watch, which is a WUS sponsor. Mark is a pleasure to deal with and very informative about the lines he carries.

Are you sure the Trias Diver has a 2824-2???I posted an inquiry about the Trias diver on the German forum and they ran me off quite rudely, said it was an asian internet watch...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Not every Trias has a Swiss movement. So happens this diver does. However, many of their watches do use Chinese movements. I haven't heard any bad news about them as was the case with Stuhrling's Lexus movement a few years back, but if you're looking for German engineering under the hood, you'll have to look elsewhere...

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Here are a couple of discussions concerning German watches and why the elitists on the German Forum resent the Made in Germany signage on a Trias....quite frankly, the original requirement by the US Gov't for the Made in Germany label was to warn people against inferior products:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=38038

And here is my own take on Trias having the exoerience of owning several over the last year or so.....something I'd say the German Forum members, for the most part, have not done.....therefore indicating to me that they are speaking from emotion rather than experience (not surprised at all).

Trias makes a good watch...especially for the money. Caution though, there Trias made in Asia and there are Swiss Made Trias. They are a very good value for the money, but you need to know which you are looking at. The Swiss Made versions are usually Swatch Unitas 6498 and 9497 movements in the handwind series and Swatch ETA2824 and ETA2824-2 in the automatics.

Whether they are a German watch or not is a matter of your own interpretation since the German's themselves have set no standards for 'Made in Germany". The company itself is based in Germany but, as I understand it, outsources movements, cases and assembly to outside the German borders. It is believed that many of the Swiss Made models are oem'd by ZENO! On the other hand, it is my understanding that many watches that are considered "German" by the elitists on the German Forum, have cases and movements made elsewhere (such as Russia, Switzerland, etc.) but are assembled in Germany............some say tomato....others say toma'to!

·
Registered
679 Posts
As an English speaker, I pronounce the name Trias like: tree-ahs. I'm not a native German speaker, but I believe there are two different vowel sounds for the "i" in the German language. One that sounds like the "i" in the word "still" and the other that has an "ee" sound like in the word stiehlt. If there are any Deutsch speakers out there, please enlighten us. :-D

Anyway, I've got my eye on a couple of Trias watches and they seem to be very reasonably priced. I certainly have not heard of any complaints by their owners. Even though none of their watches are German-made, that's not a reason to be put off by them. Although I can somewhat understand why German watch purists frown upon brands like Trias, I say buy whatever watch you like and enjoy it.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Are you sure the Trias Diver has a 2824-2???I posted an inquiry about the Trias diver on the German forum and they ran me off quite rudely, said it was an asian internet watch...
Now theres a surprise!:-X

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
As an English speaker, I pronounce the name Trias like: tree-ahs. I'm not a native German speaker, but I believe there are two different vowel sounds for the "i" in the German language. One that sounds like the "i" in the word "still" and the other that has an "ee" sound like in the word stiehlt. If there are any Deutsch speakers out there, please enlighten us. :-D

Anyway, I've got my eye on a couple of Trias watches and they seem to be very reasonably priced. I certainly have not heard of any complaints by their owners. Even though none of their watches are German-made, that's not a reason to be put off by them. Although I can somewhat understand why German watch purists frown upon brands like Trias, I say buy whatever watch you like and enjoy it.
What I find humorous is most of the "German" watches aren't "German Made" either, they are mostly Swiss and Russian movements assembled in Swiss, Russian or Asian cases! :-D

·
Registered
679 Posts
What I find humorous is most of the "German" watches aren't "German Made" either, they are mostly Swiss and Russian movements assembled in Swiss, Russian or Asian cases! :-D
Therein lies the irony. Timex is an American watch company, yet their watches are all cased and made in Asia. Does that mean Timex is no longer an American brand? If we consider Timex to be an American brand, then why should Trias not be considered a German brand?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for everyone's input. I didn't expect so much feedback!
I'm Canadian but grew up in a VERY German house where German was our second language. I didn't learn much of the language, I was too lazy and too young to care. O| However, in German, you often ignore the first vowel and pronounce the second one when vowels are back-to-back. For example, my last name. Boechler is prounounced Beck-ler and the "o" is silent. So, if I apply this same logic, is Trias not prounounced Trass?
:-S

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Therein lies the irony. Timex is an American watch company, yet their watches are all cased and made in Asia. Does that mean Timex is no longer an American brand? If we consider Timex to be an American brand, then why should Trias not be considered a German brand?
I forgot to also mention that not all of us can afford to spend $500+ on watches so we try to get something that is unique. I love my wife and our marriage...:)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input. I didn't expect so much feedback!
I'm Canadian but grew up in a VERY German house where German was our second language. I didn't learn much of the language, I was too lazy and too young to care. O| However, in German, you often ignore the first vowel and pronounce the second one when vowels are back-to-back. For example, my last name. Boechler is prounounced Beck-ler and the "o" is silent. So, if I apply this same logic, is Trias not prounounced Trass?
:-S
Well, I'm not sure that Trias is a term or name of Germanic origin. It certainly doesn't sound like it. The word trias in Latin means threefold or triad. Trias is also a surname, though not too common. Aside from English, the only other European languages I speak are Spanish and Italian. They share a common Latin link along with Portuguese, Catalan, French and since they also share similar vowel sounds, my assumption is that Trias has a Latin pronunciation (unless Germans pronounce words of Latin origin a different way).

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
=Anyway, I've got my eye on a couple of Trias watches and they seem to be very reasonably priced. I certainly have not heard of any complaints by their owners. Even though none of their watches are German-made, that's not a reason to be put off by them. Although I can somewhat understand why German watch purists frown upon brands like Trias, I say buy whatever watch you like and enjoy it.
I have 2 Trias (Triases?):-S The Silver dial Regulator, with Chinese Automatic Mvt. and the white dial "WWII Military style" with Unitas 6497. Both watches are very nice pieces...heavy, solid, keeping excellent time, and I have had no problems at all. Both were bought from Marc at Island.
If you like the look of a certain Trias...I say go for it! :)
Dave

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I searched there and certainly didn't find any thread like that?
Just like I don't see a problem with the thread Ken referenced.
Let's PLEASE not refer to other's watch preferences as "elitist", plenty of nice watches to suit everyone's tastes and budgets. :)

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Hi -

As an American living in Germany, I understand both languages. Your take on how to pronounce German is ... just plain wrong. :)

Boechler for a German is actually written Böchler, and transliterated to the oe form for non-German keyboards. It is pronounced as if there was an r behind the e, i.e. "boerchler", where the oer is pronounced like you would pronounce the word "oar" of there was an e in the word. It's not a sound you usually find in English, which makes it hard for us yanks to get German down real pat. :)

JohnF

Trias in Germany is pronounced "Tree-Az"

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I'm purchasing a Trias Skeleton. Where can I find on the watch (movement) if it has Chinese or Swiss guts?
The case back will say "Swiss Made" and the ETA movement number if it has a Swiss mvt. and if Chinese, it'll just say "Germany" on the case back. But I'm not sure all non-Swiss mvts are chinese made. Someone with more thorough knowledge than I might be able to give you more info.
Hope that helps some :)

Dave

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I searched there and certainly didn't find any thread like that?
Just like I don't see a problem with the thread Ken referenced.
Let's PLEASE not refer to other's watch preferences as "elitist", plenty of nice watches to suit everyone's tastes and budgets. :)
Tragic....to make it perfectly clear, I was not referring to anybody's watch choices as elitist....I was referring specifically to the attitude one encounters when inquiring about or wishing to discuss Trias on that forum. I and others have been treated, to say the leats, very badly..............in a manner that you would not even begin to tolerate on this forum.

Invicta, for the most part, is trated badly (although I think fairly) on this forum, but the people who wear purchase and/or own them are not......that is not the case on the forum which I discussed!:thanks

My Swiss Made Trias indicate Swiss Made both on the case back and on the dial........see signature picture.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
We'll agree to disagree I guess Ken.
I like German watches in particular and I've always found the WUS German Forum very informative and the Mods extremely helpful. Mike's been helping me sort out a difficult communications problem with Damasko recently.
For the remainder of this thread we'll discuss Trias and Theorema watches, NOT Forums.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts