WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a list of tricks and tips for better syncing? Many people complain about the syncing being not dependable enough.

I'll start with what I know. Please amend with your own tips.

1. Make sure you have the correct home time set. ;)
2. Sync at night after midnight is easier.
3. Orient watch towards emitter.
4. The watch's antenna is at the 12 o'clock position so that's the part you have to point towards the emitter.
5. Put watch by a window, open window doesn't hurt, especially if you have metallic heat protection film on it.
6. Put watch on a metallic box like a cookie box.
7. Lay watch flat, some report laying the watch face down works even better.
8. Do not move the watch during the sync process.
9. Go outside to sync.
10. Keep watch away from interference like your wireless router.
11. The sync works even if your watch is in power save mode so you don't need to worry about that.

Here is a picture of how to prop up your watch so that it's basically flat:

Or just lay it on the bezel.

I hope this helps those of you who are in less than optimal positions to sync.

Cheers,

Till

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got my 7900 yesterday and I didnt do anything special. My window is on the right-side of my bed, but I laid the watch down on my bedside table (left side of the bed and just pointed at the window. I almost think it would have synced even if I had faced it to my other wall.

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my method is to not care about it. if it syncs... cool. if it doesn't... just as good.
Unfortunately, not everyone shares your unencumbered stance. So this is for those who are fretting about the sync. We've seen there are many. This little list should help them. I'd say if the watch still doesn't sync although you've tried all these tricks and recommended methods (some are directly from the manual) you either have a faulty module or you are in a location where syncing just is not possible.

Till

Reactions: Kuma23

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I used to fret about it. then i realized that none of my watches sync and tick at the same time and rate. I found this out when they all have the hourly chime on. Even though every watch synced on the same night and at the same minute of the same hour, they all sounded off about a second or so apart from each other. Then I stopped caring about being so anally retentive and let them run loose. I enjoyed my watches much more after doing so

·
Registered
418 Posts
You should have used a biscuit tin, then they might have chimed together.

ps no offence to the op, just couldn't resist:-d

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

No offense taken, although I would have expected a more positive attitude for giving a simple compendium of things to do to stop the never-ending "my watch won't sync" threads. ;)

I didn't use a cookie tin but I used a metal case for glasses I had laying around. The reception strengths indicator goes up from 2 to 3 marks as soon as I put it on the metal case.

Till

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

Oh man. I would gain at least 10 lbs if I were to try to get enough tins for all my atomic watches.

Sorry, tfar. I never meant to disrupt your thread with my own personal stance on syncing. All your tips and methods are appreciated. However, jumping through all those hoops to keep a few watches from ticking +/- 1 second a day or week is a bit much and kinda takes the fun away from the watches. It's like trying to measure the height of a giraffe by the millimeter when meter or yards is more appropriate

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
No offense taken, although I would have expected a more positive attitude for giving a simple compendium of things to do to stop the never-ending "my watch won't sync" threads. ;)

I didn't use a cookie tin but I used a metal case for glasses I had laying around. The reception strengths indicator goes up from 2 to 3 marks as soon as I put it on the metal case.

Till
I think they simply expected too much out of the watch and the technology. I don't blame them, I did too when I first experienced the solar and atomics. However, the lust went away, the commitment turned into a burden, the burden was an annoyance and the annoyance led to apathy. Now I'm commitment free and free roam with any watch I please. Absolute enjoyment with no strings attached.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ok, Ill come clean:)

Have I pressed button D and see what level I synced at? Sadly, yes, hard to resist. I'm beyond help. I've also placed the watch in a different position to try and up the level, which is madness. A sync is a sync, why should I worry! Its an illness, but nevertheless my hypocrsy in this thread was eating me up, I had to come clean.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Thanks for the great tips. I find that setting by the window, with the face at a 90 degree angle, parallel with the window, gets mine to sync reliably.

·
Banned
223 Posts
All my Atomic G's sync consistently...when I wear them at night! Don't ask me why. When I leave them on the window sill...nothing.
Ok read all these. Nice tips and advice, and I like the bits relating to obsession, analness and just running free.

I've learned pretty much all of that, except for the part about the bisket tins. Never had the cause for that. Also the facing down part. Never had cause.

Mine actually get signals pretty readily at the window and over from the window. At the same level helps a little. 2nd floor helps too. But I like the other guy, I can get the signal wearing it overnight. I'm probably 1500 to 2000 miles west of Boulder. Don't know the exact range.

And what is a "wireless emitter". Like a shortwave radio? Is it one of those new things like cassette tapes and quartz watches? No wires but don't you have to really, really like portable computers. Oh darn. I guess I don't.

Is there a cure for it? Like un-wireless shock therapy?

Derek J.

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I'm totally in the camp who thinks not to sweat the reception. I do check but not every day. However, usually my watches sync without very special care. I have them sitting on my desk close to the window on the ground floor. They are actually facing SE. So not exactly ideal given that Boulder is rather NW of me. ;) I guess I'm about 1000 miles away.

However, I noticed the metal box thing when I was sitting in my armchair by the window. The case for my glasses was just sitting there and curiosity made me try it out. When I put my Seiko on it the reception level increases. It decreases when I just put it on the window sill next to it. Quite amazing.

For those where the reception works when they are wearing it, I suppose that is a similar effect as when you touch a radio or TV antenna and get better reception.

I honestly haven't tried to wear it because at that time I'm usually at home and when I'm at home I take off my watch. When I go out at night I usually wear something a bit more chic than the G. ;)

Till

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I'll start with what I know. Please amend with your own tips.
hi till,

here is mine: just wear it (if one is a 24/7 wearer). you might be surprised how well the human body seems to work as an "additional antenna".

on a personal note: i never got that whole "lay down the watch here, try this position there" thing. it's the same as with mechanical watches to find out in which position they run best and/or lose/gain most/fewest seconds. in my opinion that is way too much effort for a so-called carefree watch (at least that is what the advertisement always try to make us believe about atomic/solars). all the nights people spend trying to find out in what corner, on what window in their house an atomic watch synchs is irrational, when manual synching can be done by a simple push of a button and takes hardly more than one minute.

cheers

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I just leave the watch upright by the window. Most times it syncs, and it recently had a five-day stretch where it did not receive a signal at all. No sweat, since not all factors that affect signal reception are within our control, such as meteorological disturbances.

There was even a time when I regularly got a signal through the bedroom wall, but I reverted to my present method when the results became less and less consistent.

Radio-controlled watches aren't for everyone yet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I disagree Cal, part of the fun with an auto is regulating yourself to be fast by a few secs each day, and finding the best position at night to get them back, testing the movement fully.

I can get my Seiko 6R15 to within a sec a day, an Omega to run no better. Its no wrose thasn biscuit tins, but equally, no better eitherb-)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Great topic OP.

I got my first atomic watch, a PAW 1500, about a year and a half ago and had minimal luck with syncing. I figured it was because I'm on the east coast and just about as far as you can get from Fort Collins while still being in the US.

I really like the PAW 1500 so, over time, I got a handful of them and needed a place to keep them. I did the simplest thing I could think of in cutting up this old shoe box...just to give the watches a 'place' and keep them in order.

Next I needed to find a place in the clutter to put it. This 'watch box' found it's way to the corner of the room. Not near or facing a window. Not facing the transmitter either as I had long since given up on getting consistent sync.

Well, what do you know? They all sync every night now with very rare exception. Even my extremely stubborn Atomic Frog rarely misses these days and it only synced twice in the first three months I had it. I have no idea why this is working so I can't add to your suggestions. Bad weather doesn't even effect the sync. In this situation total syncage was just a lucky side effect of trying to find a place to keep them.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts