WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone,

I am headed to Iceland for about 10 days to do some travel photography. I am having an internal debate with myself about what watch to take with me. My Tudor Pelagos or my Suunto Core.

Obviously this is a debate about form versus function. Any thoughts on this first world problem would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
What kind of activity will you be engaging in ? Glacier hiking ? ATV ? Sunnto Core is probably better choice for shock resistance.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
The Suunto. You will need three major qualities of a wristwatch in Iceland:
1. Alarm because you will have no effing idea what time it is by the outside light and may miss important opportunities while you sleep off your putrid dried shark meat hangovers.
2. Glow in the dark or backlit screen, because it will be dark almost all the time and the Pelagos lume will not last the 20 hours of night.
3. Strap flexibility so you can wear your watch over your base layers, rather than digging through a parka sleeve and shredding your heavy Icelandic wool sweater cuff to see your watch.

Trust me, the Pelagos is the wrong watch. I did a summer Iceland trip with 60lbs of Mamiya gear and was really happy for my newly purchased G-Shock, rather than my Datejust.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I'm heading above the Arctic Circle in 10 days and I'm taking a GShock Rangeman and a Garmin Fenix. Great low temp watches with all the features I need

·
Registered
31,976 Posts
Welcome OP

I'm headed there later in they year as well. Hearing about JS Watches is great, thanks to those above who posted.

Any my idea on indicative pricing for them? High level ball park figures would be great.

PS no I won't be making a thread about what watch to wear.

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
Well, as long as you're going to be there - go see JS Watches! Sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to me.
Was about to suggest that as well.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
You want it to be waterproof as everyone takes a dip in the Blue Lagoon. Something rugged. And preferably something with Tritium. If it were me, I'd take a Marathon diver.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Isn't the Core supposed to be quite waterproof? I recall reading that the buttons are designed to be usable underwater. Of course, if you do find yourself underwater in Iceland, the Tudor would be suitable too. But I'd want the timer, alarm, sunrise/set times, maybe even compass etc. features just for convenience. If you do bring it, make sure it's got a fresh battery!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Hands down the Suunto. It seems more practical and could withstand outdoor activities - which to me is why one would primarily go to Iceland. Disclaimer: I am a backpacking enthusiast and would love to go to Iceland and backpack.

I agree as a WIS one must check out JS Watch Co.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
You want it to be waterproof as everyone takes a dip in the Blue Lagoon. Something rugged. And preferably something with Tritium. If it were me, I'd take a Marathon diver.
I serious doubt if you want to wear a watch into the Blue Lagoon. There is too much silica deposit if the watch is not carefully cleaned afterward it may get into the crown and cause problem.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
From what I recall they ain't cheap. A 3 hand watch was over $1.5K (US) about 4 years ago when another WIS noted his travels to Iceland and bought a JS Watch Co. watch as a souvenir.

But if I go - I find this one singing to me as a siren call:

·
Registered
98 Posts
JS Watches for sure would be interesting but if I were headed to Iceland, I'd go to the original Icelandic watchmaker, Michelsen. They are on the Laugavegur in downtown Reykjavik. Just my taste I guess.

Tudor, no question for me.

I really want this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454350341.797442.jpg

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I serious doubt if you want to wear a watch into the Blue Lagoon. There is too much silica deposit if the watch is not carefully cleaned afterward it may get into the crown and cause problem.
Good point, forgot about that. In fact, I have a vague recollection there might have been signs stating to remove jewellery :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts