WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to the local Grand Seiko AD today. I have been meaning to drop by for quite some time as it is only 15-20 minutes away from my home but I never found the time. I am thinking about getting an SBGX061 and lucky for me they had not only this model, but the 10 or so that are offered in the Canadian market.

A few notes:

- The SBGH001 is simply stunning. Between the high-beat glide of the hand, the finishing, and the dial, it is basically perfect. This is on the wish list.

- The SBGA011 (better known as the Snowflake) was less impressive to me in person. It may have been the lighting but I found the grey titanium colour a little dull and didn't quite suit the dial. That second hand though...

- The SBGA031 (Spring Drive Diver) was extremely nice, though the bezel felt cheap and had a LOT of play. I won't hold this against the watch just yet as it may be because it is a floor model.

- The SBGX059 (white dial quartz) is quite a bit nicer in person. Pictures don't really do the polar white dial justice. The hands are almost grey which gives excellent visibility (not quite as grey as the SBX095, I think).

- The GS display was kind of sad. They had all the watches crammed into a 1 sq ft corner at the end of the 12 ft long Zenith and Breitling counter. You can see the white square in one of the pictures that held almost all the watches in the collection.

- Zaratsu is amazing. I believe the SBGX has slightly less intricate finishing than some of the other models but my worries about it having lower quality for our market seem to be unfounded. The polishing creates a perfect, undistorted reflection.

And the pictures (lighting is typical boutique for bling factor):

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If you survived and kept your wallet in your pocket you did well.

Reactions: dan55

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I agree the snowflake is a bit underwhelming in person.
To me the biggest issues are that it's too big and too thick.
The Quartz GS are amazing, my favorite of all is the blue 065, but I recently saw the 059 live (courtesy of fellow WUS user liwang22) and it's great.
If you are looking for a Quartz with a more elaborate case/finishing check out the sbgx053, it's a little sportier, has more angles, a slightly domed crystal.
As a coincidence I am selling mine :) (I'm keeping the 065 only)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Amazing. Which one u really like?

I did not own any. But still whenever i see the hi beat, my blood pressure goes way up.

sent from moto x

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I agree the snowflake is a bit underwhelming in person.
To me the biggest issues are that it's too big and too thick.
To big and too thick ???? :-s

After collecting watches for over more than 30 years I never owned a watch like my new SBGA011 (Snowflake) - an absolute stunner ...

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
To big and too thick ???? :-s

After collecting watches for over more than 30 years I never owned a watch like my new SBGA011 (Snowflake) - an absolute stunner ...
Well, taste is personal :)
It's absolutely beautiful, but at 41mm in diameter it's definitely too big for a dressy watch.

My bad about the "too thick" part, I mixed it with the GMT hi beat automatic

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,720 Posts
You truly have superhuman willpower, my friend. I wouldn't have been able to resist the temptation of bringing home a new watch. Receiving a GS as a wedding gift, however, will make the wait worth it. :)

I think the quartz Grand Seikos fit snugly on your wrist. It'll be tough deciding between a Hi-Beat GS and the other Grand Seikos, though.

I do know that in the end you'll be happy with whatever you and your fiance choose.

Reactions: idkfa
1 - 10 of 10 Posts