WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how durable the Triple Sensor is in a Protrek/Pathfinder and, should it fail, does the whole functionality of the watch fail or just the ABC modes?

Has anyone ever had a failure of ABC modes and does this make the rest not work as well?

·
Registered
38 Posts
"Triple sensor" is just a marketing name. There are 3 sensors that can break. Each sensor could fail individually.

For compass function, the watch has a magnetic bearing sensor.

There is another sensor for pressure (and the altitude is estimated based on the measured pressure value).

And the third sensor is the temperature sensor.

Look here for some pictures of an Disassembled PAW1300.

I think that the timekeeping functions of the watch do not depend on the correct functioning of the sensors. According to the manuals the watches will display an "ERR" message when you try to use the ABC functions and the sensors are defective.

I can't say how durable are the sensors.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Sensors are independent of timekeeping, in general Protrek`s are "tough as old boots". Search the forum for; bad, failed, error, sensor & Protrek etc and you will find very few hits.

Just buy and enjoy, Protrek`s do have their misgivings, however reliability is definitely not one of them, without a doubt the most robust ABC`s on the market...

Q-6

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Wow, was it really Dec 2008 when I dismantled the 1300? Doesn't seem that long ago!

Anyway, yes, I can confirm that if you disable one of the sensors (or unplug it), the other sensors are unaffected. (Bear in mind that the barometer and altimeter are using the same sensor, just interpreting the data in a different way.)

After dismantling the 1300 quite brutally, and treating the module with no tenderness at all (including trying to rip the polarizer off the display with a pair of long-nose pliers), it still wouldn't break.

I've never had a sensor fail on one of these watches.

I have no reservations whatsoever about the toughness of this watch!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info, folks. Thanks a lot. I've got a new purchase on the way - a PRG-1200 that apparently has some ABC issues, but until I get it I won't really know the extent of any apparent problems. We'll see...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Just wondering how durable the Triple Sensor is in a Protrek/Pathfinder and, should it fail, does the whole functionality of the watch fail or just the ABC modes?

Has anyone ever had a failure of ABC modes and does this make the rest not work as well?
I don't think the sensors will fail with drops, but there are several USER caused failure modes that I have seen many many times.

1. Sticking things into the baro/alti sensor hole. There is a metal grill AND a metal mesh AND a gelatin material protecting the sensor, but you can still damage it if you poke around with something very sharp. People get very agressive with cleaning their watch and it could damage the sensor.

2. Poking around during battery changes: It is very easy to damage the bearing sensor during a battery change, because it is fully exposed. The compass on my PAW1300 does not work because the previous owner had feet for hands. Same goes for the alti-baro sensor, since those are attached to the module using very very thin (easily damaged) cables.

IMHO, even with rough use it's practically impossible to damage the sensors if you don't deliberately try to damage it. :p

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poking around during battery changes: It is very easy to damage the bearing sensor during a battery change, because it is fully exposed. The compass on my PAW1300 does not work because the previous owner had feet for hands. Same goes for the alti-baro sensor, since those are attached to the module using very very thin (easily damaged) cables.
Thanks for that info, halfapie. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures that show these wires, would you? I've got a PAW-1200 on the way that has similar-sounding problems, apparently.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can see that ribbon cable that goes to the pressure sensor in dudegalea's pictures that I referred you to in my previous post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts