WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is the radioactive nature of these t-100 tubes strong enough to add up to an exposure risk to people who own these things over the course of 10-20 years?

Will these things set of radiation detectors when crossing borders; that would be embarrassing!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think no, because the small amount of radiation gets absorbed within the watch's case, so the case + the front glass shields the tubes.

If you're so worried, then why not going for the t-25 tubes?
They're extremely useful too and have an exceptional view too (only less brighter, but still beats the [email protected] out of all luminova stuff considering lighting "endurance")!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thank you for the superb post. It's one of the best I've read on this forum.

I'd like to make a few comments:

1. Dark adaption of my eyes is a HUGE factor. If I charge my best luminous watches and put them in a closet for only twenty minutes, then return to the closet (from a lighted room), I can't see the lume. But if I wear the watch to bed, I can wake up 3 or 4 hours later and read it well.

2. I own two T25 tritium watches. They are so bright and easy to read (when my eyes are dark-adapted), that I would not want anything brighter.

3. The term "superluminova" needs further specification. C1 superluminova is often used because it appears white in daylight. But 30 minutes after charge C1 only 31% as bright as C3 superluminova, which appears cream-colored in daylight.

4. Even high priced brands often have poor lume. This forum is full of reports of disappointment.

Regards,

Alan

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Is the radioactive nature of these t-100 tubes strong enough to add up to an exposure risk to people who own these things over the course of 10-20 years?

Will these things set of radiation detectors when crossing borders; that would be embarrassing!
Actually, the beta particles have a hard time getting out of the micro-vials. One of the many reasons they are widely used over paint...

·
Premium Member
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

Tritium gas is a low-level Beta emitter. The radiation is so weak it does not have enough energy to penetrate a piece of paper. The borosilicate glass tubes which encapsulate the Tritium gas do not allow any radiation to escape. No threat to the wearer at all.

HTH

·
Registered
218 Posts
Really great test. I especially liked the variety of watches in the test. So often you see a lume test with only a Seiko and a GSAR or something to that effect.
Question: Do you think the exposure times affected the colour of the DB green trites? they appeared white after you began the 5 sec exposure. I suppose that the exposure time brightened the colour up so as to appear white.
Sean779: I think somebody made a post recently about the comparison between T-25 and T-100. Was an interesting and informative read, wish I knew where it was, lol.
The conclusion of the post was that T-25 and T-100 are classifications of overall Tritium content in the watch and does not specifically mean the tubes are more powerful or longer lasting. That's what I gathered anyway. ;)
Again, Great Post!

·
Premium Member
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Really great test. I especially liked the variety of watches in the test. So often you see a lume test with only a Seiko and a GSAR or something to that effect.
Question: Do you think the exposure times affected the colour of the DB green trites? they appeared white after you began the 5 sec exposure. I suppose that the exposure time brightened the colour up so as to appear white.
Sean779: I think somebody made a post recently about the comparison between T-25 and T-100. Was an interesting and informative read, wish I knew where it was, lol.
The conclusion of the post was that T-25 and T-100 are classifications of overall Tritium content in the watch and does not specifically mean the tubes are more powerful or longer lasting. That's what I gathered anyway. ;)
Again, Great Post!
Yes, the exposure time made the DB tubes appear white because they were overexposed - the tubes were too bright to be properly exposed.

The only experience I have with a T100 watch is my Deep Blue in this test, but it is definitely much brighter than all my T25 watches.

HTH

·
Registered
9,059 Posts

I've had both--T-25 and T-100--and for me there's a point where it's too much lume, it bothers your significant other, and sometimes yourself. The best lume I've found on a watch is the Marathon Navigator, recent issue, with T-25. Razor sharp lume without annoying anybody.

That being said, I would still opt for the T-100s because it may be too bright when new, not so much when it's aging. So I'd enjoy it from overly bright to getting dim. And I believe that's a longer time span that you'll get with T-25s. Anybody want to burst that bubble...c'mon :-d

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I gather there are lume fans and trit fans. Given the trit is obviously better for all night visibility, what is it that makes people like lume (or superlum, extrasuperduperlume or whatever variant you want)? I can see that the tubes limit your design option to have a fancy curve/insert shape on a hand or a number marker and that the trit will eventually dim in 12+ years - is that 'it'? Or is it the brilliant initial glow that lasts less than an hour?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yea, you're quite right.

Better initial illumination, decades lasting lume painting (as for H3, it's lifetime is limited -> tritium halftime ~12 years, overall lifetime appr. 24-25 years).
More options at desiging number markers, hands, etc.

In the near future I'm planning to acquire another luminova watch too!
A Damasko DA47 or a DC57. They are so cool looking with their whole dials covered in Luminova.

Clock Green Wall clock Analog watch Font

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its definitely snazy looking Nesher and I don't mean this in a negative way about any lume watch, but isn't it kind of a let down for it to not look like that x minutes later? If it could look like that all night, wow (although we likely would be getting lethal doses of something hehe) but if after 45 minutes sitting around the fire drinking port chilling with your friends you can't see it and then don't know its time for bed, isn't it kinda a bummer? Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome (as do a lot of the bright lume variant faces/bezels etc), I just wish it would stay lit a lot longer - which is why I am looking into the differences between the two as it likely has a big influence on my next watch. I never even knew what tritium was up until starting to follow these forums.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Thank you for this test.
Because of it I will not make a misstake and buy a watch with Tritium Tubes!!

You saved me money!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have wanted a GTLS watch for a few years now, but the only ones I like are out of my price range :( If anyone is selling one for under $200 hit me up!

I really like the look of this one (Lumitime), but can't find it anywhere:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Strap

I especially like how the GTLS tubes glow blue!

Watch Analog watch Black Darkness Watch accessory

Bill

·
Registered
161 Posts
Very good test, but even this is not a good indicator of what to expect in the real world. I love to charge up superluminova and see how brightly it glows when the light first goes out, but that's just me having fun with a toy. And if I deliberately charge it right before bed, I can read it six hours later, but not easily. I don't consider that "real world" though because holding the watch up close to a light bulb is hardly natural.

Here's my "real world" test: I went to a movie last weekend. Not two hours into the movie, it was a strain to read my watch in the dark theater (a new Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, highly praised for it's lume). I had been wearing short sleeves, but I was in the mall for about an hour beforehand, so not out in the sun. I walked into the theater like a normal person: not thinking about charging my watch first.

No big deal. I don't see myself ever winding up in a situation where it is: 1. Too dark to read my watch. 2. Emmensly important that I know the time immediately. 3. No cell phone to use as a backup. 4. No way to get up and find any light at all so I can read my watch.
Since that will never happen to me, superluminova is just fine (but I do have one Luminox just for fun). However, if any of you superluminova fans think you might be in a situation as described above, I highly recommend you swallow your pride and get a tritium watch for those occasions.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discount watch store is selling the H3 Sniper (t25 tubes) for $113 this week. If you sign up for their emails, you get another $15 off. Heck of a deal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi everyone,
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents' worth.

I have owned 4 Deep Blue watches (all trit tubes) and I have been very happy with them. I've found the fit and finish to be about equal to a Tag or Tissot -- which is to say that it's very good. But I would not buy one for the lume. My Omega SMP -- or even my Seiko -- has better lume.

If you want to know how bright tritium tubes are, charge the Superluminova on your Seiko, then wait about 3 hours. That's how bright the tubes are -- but they stay that way all night!

Don't go by the photos one usually sees advertising tritium tubes -- they invariably use a time-delayed exposure to give an impression of the tubes' brightness, which is just not accurate or realistic.

Cheerful regards,
GM
PS--there ought to be a poll on this topic!

41 - 60 of 79 Posts