WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
LOL, yeah we do need a poll.

IMO, this is a legendary thread and worthy of being resurrected whenever necessary.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am new to this forum, and just came across this post for the first time. Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I owned a Luminox so I was already convinced that Tritium is the way to go. This post however has me ready to jump on Deep Blue's site and get a T-100 watch :). Thanks again, best post I have seen.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I'm a fan of tritium, and I'm fine with T25. My LL Bean field watch provides enough brightness so that it is easily legible under any lighting conditions. More than that, I don't need.

Just the other day I cracked the crystal and it's at my watchmaker's shop waiting for a replacement crystal (I really hope he can find one). I wear this watch to bed and I can easily see the time when I wake up in the night. With the T3 at the shop, I can wear my Omega Seamaster or my Seiko SNDA, both of which are reputed to have pretty good lume, and I can tell the time, but toward morning hours, before the Sun, only with some difficulty. Sure, they're really bright at first, but there is something very satisfying about a watch that can be read easily, in any circumstances, without having to hold the silly thing up to a light for half a minute.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Is it possible for this post to get a bump or a frefresher? It's awesome and I would love to seethe photos. Not sure if the post is so old that the photos are gone or missing links.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
This thread is fantastic just spent 10 minutes in the bathroom with the lights out! turns out once eyes adjusted my Ball Engineer Ended up the winner terrible pic but it's the most readable once eyes are adjusted still love this watch

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,975 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry to wake up an old thread...

Just because tritium has a half life of ~12 years doesn't mean that the visible illumination from the capsules is less than it was in its beginning. It may still put out enough beta radiation to completely excite the phosphors.

I dunno.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Sorry to wake up an old thread...

Just because tritium has a half life of ~12 years doesn't mean that the visible illumination from the capsules is less than it was in its beginning. It may still put out enough beta radiation to completely excite the phosphors.

I dunno.
I do. On both a Luminox and pistol sights. After about 10 years, the tritium is pretty much only visible in complete darkness.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The nice thing about tritium is that you can get multiple colors on the dial and hands. I've been moving away from tritium watches because my first one basically faded to nothing after 15 years. I never thought that kind of time would matter, but one day you wake up, and find you have watches you bought new that are 30 years old.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Based on your old Luminox, this gives my hope that my Ball's tubes will still be glowing strong at their half life. Very neat and informative post! Much appreciated.
Yes I'm thinking my already super Tritium tubes will be around a long time on my Ball Watch.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Whenever age and tritium comes up, I like to share picts of my 2006 Ball Fireman--yes, that's 14 year old tritium tubes--the watch has been serviced, but the original tubes have never been touched and still burn bright, not quite as bright when new, but still plenty bright, enough so that it is still my "go to" watch for any activities where I need to know the time in the darkness--lume picts taken just a couple of months ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Anyone wanting to try tritium at a throwaway price can do so with what I think must be the lowest possible cost (under 50 bucks). Don’t expect too much, but tritium is tritium no matter who the manufacturer is. Now "mb-microtec" manufacture most of the tritium vials found in recognizable brand name watches, but I think some must be made in China to enable this level of price.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Green Fashion accessory

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ADDIES-...randed/Generic&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Update: did a bit of researching on these and the tritium claim is a con. Found this amongst a number of disappointed feedbacks on Aliexpress where they are also sold. A great disappointment, buy it because as the item description have tritium for glow in the night But is not well, just a bit of phosphorescence that after a while it going. The case is that the clock has the typical tubes of tritium watches but are a hoax. I Give It 2 star by that by otherwise the clock seems robust but is something heavy, we will see if at least displays properly the time.

Another comment:I suspect there's no tritium here. Ordinary Light-up elements that glow after being in the sun.

Watch Analog watch Font Fashion accessory Screenshot

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Whenever age and tritium comes up, I like to share picts of my 2006 Ball Fireman--yes, that's 14 year old tritium tubes--the watch has been serviced, but the original tubes have never been touched and still burn bright, not quite as bright when new, but still plenty bright, enough so that it is still my "go to" watch for any activities where I need to know the time in the darkness--lume picts taken just a couple of months ago.
They are slightly less than half as bright as when the H3 isotopes were created.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
...slightly less than half as bright as when the H3 isotopes were created...
Tell us something we don't know (quoting from the venerable institution of indisputable "facts", Wikipedia, no less)--my observations remain unfettered--"still plenty bright"--all night long, and "still my "go to" watch for any activities where I need to know the time in the darkness..."--but, you omitted the pictures, which clearly demonstrate this, 14 years and one "half-life" down the road...

61 - 79 of 79 Posts