101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,171 Posts
Reactions: Mark Greenman

·
Registered
436 Posts
It’s probably an apples to oranges comparison but the HYT seems to be an interesting approach - it still needs LEDs (albeit mechanically powered, but still). It is probably more along the lines of an indioglo or LED watch. They seem to be a mechanical watch bridge to the application, maybe we will see the tech in more watches at an “obtainable” price at some time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This was recently discussed on another thread. Personally, tritium is a loser for me. I have an Armoirlite that is eight years old and is is drastically less bright. Those that say it’ll have to be replaced in 24 years I think are overly optimistic by at least 12 years. On a recent thread someone posted that Ball quoted $20 per tube which would cost him about $1000 on his watch. Regardless, ran into this new watch...
View attachment 15727780
LEDs on all the time and apparently battery lasts three years.
The Enduro lume is interesting. I'm just skeptical the battery would last 3 years; thats orders of magnitude more efficient then the 'moonlight' modes found on state of the art flashlights.

As far as tritium replacement, even at $20 per tube. a standard watch would just be 15 tubes, so $300. In practical matters, an earlier post mentioned Bond in Hong Kong thats able to do a 15 tube replacement for $190.

Bonding

That said, I'd love to see Radium brought back in a modern, fully sealed glass tube as used by MB Microtec for their tritium vials. 1600yr half life is better then 12yr. Given the robotic assembly of tritium vials, and the careful measurement of radiation, I don't see why 25mci of Radium would be appreciably more hazardous then 25mci of Tritium.

·
Premium Member
8,171 Posts
I don't see why 25mci of Radium would be appreciably more hazardous then 25mci of Tritium.
It's much more hazardous during manufacturing, and in the case of broken or discarded vials. That's probably enough reason to not do it, even if the safety of the vials in a maintained watch isn't more dangerous. There's also the marketing aspect of that and whether people would be comfortable wearing it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
“Personally, tritium is a loser for me. I have an Armoirlite that is eight years old and is is drastically less bright. Those that say it’ll have to be replaced in 24 years I think are overly optimistic by at least 12 years.”

I agree. I’ve owned a couple tritium watches. The tubes were ‘dead’ in about 10 years. Same with pistol sights.

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
I've owned two watches with the tritium tubes...with modern lume being so good and the tubes really unattractive to me, I don't see the need for tritium tubes. I don't have many situations where I need to see the time in the dark and I am unable to. If seeing my watch in the middle of the night was critical, or even important, I'd wear something with a back light, and/or put a fitness tracker on the other hand or carry a little flashlight.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
The Enduro lume is interesting. I'm just skeptical the battery would last 3 years; thats orders of magnitude more efficient then the 'moonlight' modes found on state of the art flashlights.

As far as tritium replacement, even at $20 per tube. a standard watch would just be 15 tubes, so $300. In practical matters, an earlier post mentioned Bond in Hong Kong thats able to do a 15 tube replacement for $190.

Bonding

That said, I'd love to see Radium brought back in a modern, fully sealed glass tube as used by MB Microtec for their tritium vials. 1600yr half life is better then 12yr. Given the robotic assembly of tritium vials, and the careful measurement of radiation, I don't see why 25mci of Radium would be appreciably more hazardous then 25mci of Tritium.
Even at $190 it makes little sense for my Armourlite. One of the Ball watches shown earlier has fifty two tubes which would be $1040 from Ball and $660 from Bond which doesn’t include shipping not to mention the time down.
I can’t say I’m skeptical about the Enduro Lume, but I’ll wait and see how it performs before spending money. Better efficiency is bound to happen sooner or later and perhaps it is here, again, we’ll see.
If tritium floats your boat, rock on with it, to me it makes very little sense and seems really expensive to keep at a brightness level I am used to. Honestly, even if I had to change the battery once a year I’d prefer the Enduro Lume to tritium, changing a battery is quick, easy, and cheap compared to tritium.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I have put this info out as a PSA to Marathon owners when I see the tritium threads pop up. Per a phone conversation with Marathon at the end of last year I was quoted 160.00 for a dial replacement and brand new handset for a 41mm GSAR. Totally reasonable. Shipping both ways is obviously on you but no reason not to do it when needed. Rep I spoke to said they have always done this. Nothing new. Just not taken advantage of.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Even at $190 it makes little sense for my Armourlite. One of the Ball watches shown earlier has fifty two tubes which would be $1040 from Ball and $660 from Bond which doesn’t include shipping not to mention the time down.
I can’t say I’m skeptical about the Enduro Lume, but I’ll wait and see how it performs before spending money. Better efficiency is bound to happen sooner or later and perhaps it is here, again, we’ll see.
If tritium floats your boat, rock on with it, to me it makes very little sense and seems really expensive to keep at a brightness level I am used to. Honestly, even if I had to change the battery once a year I’d prefer the Enduro Lume to tritium, changing a battery is quick, easy, and cheap compared to tritium.
Depends on the watch and its sentimentality and cost. Spending $190 to bring a $300 quartz watch back to life might not make sense; spending $190 every 10 years to bring a $1000-$2000 Swiss Auto back to full brightness isn't unreasonable.

Rolex's are supposed to be serviced every 5-10 years, which costs $400-$500.

That said, the new standard for 'night watches' should really be C3 mated with tritium. 3-8x layers of C3 on hands and indices, with tritium tubes glued on top. Even after the tritium dies that would leave a functional level of lume.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts