WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel foolish for asking this question, but I figured I better suck it up and ask here before I mess up a movement. Awhile back I purchased four ETA 2824-2 clones to use for practice assembling some custom watches. The problem I keep experiencing has to do not with removing the stem, but in getting it properly re-inserted. I remove the stem while it is in the time set position by using a small screwdriver just slightly smaller than the stem removal slot. The stem pops right out, no problems. But after sizing and cutting the stem, I find it nearly impossible to to lock back in to the place in the movement. I'm very gentle when removing the stem, so I doubt I'm screwing up the keyless works when removing it. The stem removal button isn't stuck down or anything. I've tried re-inserting the stem both with the stem removal button pressed and other times while not. No matter what I try, it seems to be hit or miss whether I'm going to get the stem locked back in to place. I've managed to do it successfully with just one of the movements. Two sit on my workbench for months now, with me unable to get the stems re-inserted. I have one more untouched movement remaining and I'd rather not screw this one up. :) I'd appreciate some insight in to whether I've somehow ruined the keyless works on these movements, or whether I'm making a beginner's mistake and missing an important step?

·
Registered
942 Posts
I’ve had this problem on a couple of occasions with that movement, but never with an ETA or Sellita. I thought I’d disassemble the keyless works and see if I could figure it out or spot any damage and I couldn’t. I simply reassembled and they worked fine.

I have found that at times I’ve had to be a lot firmer with the Seagull clones than the real things, but I don’t know if the ones that needed a firmer press were also the ones I had trouble reinserting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve had this problem on a couple of occasions with that movement, but never with an ETA or Sellita. I thought I’d disassemble the keyless works and see if I could figure it out or spot any damage and I couldn’t. I simply reassembled and they worked fine.

I have found that at times I’ve had to be a lot firmer with the Seagull clones than the real things, but I don’t know if the ones that needed a firmer press were also the ones I had trouble reinserting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been wondering if this is an issue with the stem position during removal. Most people say that with ETA movements you want to remove the stem in the time set position. But I've found quite a few people who say that with the Seagull movements, you want to remove the stem in the winding position. I'm willing to try that, but I'm not certain if it will make that much difference.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Me personally. I always remove from the winding position. This way you know where the pin for the setting lever will be.

When you pull out to the time position. Now you have to move the stem back and forth trying to find it.

Wouldn't think it wouldn't be that difficult though. Push stem until setting pin hits part after B. Push pin down and move a touch in to connect

DON

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the advice, Don. I just tried it with the stem in the winding position and I was easily able to reinsert the stem after cutting to size. I just completed my second watch assembly! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts