WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Franck Muller Crazy Hours from an authorized dealer. Within a year, the watch starting malfunctioning, in that it started jumping incorrectly. To cut a long story short, the watch went back to the dealer twice without any result and was finally sent to the manufacturer(Franck Muller Watchland) in Geneva. By then, I was directly in correspondence with them. They agreed to replace the piece and it came back in a month or so. Few days later, it malfunctioned again in the same way as the one before this. It was sent back to them and this time they said they would change the entire movement yet again. The watch came back after 2 months and again after 10 days it malfunctioned in the same fashion.

What I want to know is that has anyone else faced this with Franck Muller watches?
What can one make of this specially since the company has been directly involved with me(and the dealer has been kept in the loop as well)? Cant they fix their own watches? How can three watches have the same defect?
What does one make of Franck Muller as a brand after such a bad experience?

Any help and info would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Sidd.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
And......This may be one reason we don't see them around here....
My Mamma always said,"Pretty is as pretty does."

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I guess this is an example of $30K NOT well spent. Do they give you a detailed explanation of what failed each time, is it the same thing or different stuff each time, I don't know which would be worse, the same part failing 3 times, or 3 different things breaking down one by one in the same watch, sounds like you paid for Porsche Cayenne but got and old Jeep Cherokee reliability wise...

·
Registered
40,150 Posts
:think: I wonder if FM is going back to their old ways, they were once known as the worst customer service, vowed
to clean up their act back in 06.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Joke aside, a quick look raises some questions for me. The challenge might be the extensive wear on the gears and wheels when the hour hand has to jump 5 hours far and that strong ( each following hour is 5 hours away in comparison with classic dials ), meaning the gear ratio in the hour hand wheel would have a different ratio in comparison with classic watches.This power during the hour hand jump would cause more wear than usual, which I am not sure how efficient the jewels would be to prevent wear from friction.I am not educated at watchmaking point just am curious how they fixed this issue,FM certainly has thought about it and has a solution but if it's a repeated malfunction they better look deeper in it.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,775 Posts
What I think or make of the brand really has no bearing on your very big problem. A $30k watch should last a lot longer than 1 year. And FM should fix it even if it involves replacing the entire complicated movement. Demand a new movement or refund.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
What I think or make of the brand really has no bearing on your very big problem. A $30k watch should last a lot longer than 1 year. And FM should fix it even if it involves replacing the entire complicated movement. Demand a new movement or refund.
What if replacing that movement does not solve the problem?
What if the problem is in the movement design?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
You know, I kinda liked these and wanted to get one for the wife (I could never see myself wearing it). Only I wasn't prepared to pony up for the Muller, especially for someone that could not appreciate it at all. I found a cheap copy on the bay (not a fake, so please don't delete) for like a buck fifty and it has run like a charm for a couple of years and she loves it. I'm not saying this would be a good alternative.... but I'm just saying...

A buck fifty - $30k... hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Save 15 Grand and get 100 of the others... just in case.

By the way... women are always complimenting her on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts