WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone may have some advice on how to get my GW-5600J running again. I've tried charging it but it won't go turn on. Has anyone tried to swap the battery on these? I included a pic of my modest collection for your amusement.

Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_20170314_224723886.jpg
IMG_20170314_224741297.jpg

Thanks,
Javier

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
how long have you tried charging it for? if its been dead for awhile youll may need the better part of a day before you see some life. remember to charge it in direct sunlight (not thru a window) for best results. if it does spring back to life youll need a further 2-3 days before its full.
if houwever its been dead for a long time the battery may very well be shot

·
Registered
542 Posts
I stupidly left my GW-5600BCJ in a drawer for a year+ when I went off Gs. When I rediscovered it, even after leaving on a sunny window ledge for a week it refused to hold a charge, it would come on, keep time, but as soon as you used any function it flashed and went into power save mode. I managed to source a ctl1616 rechargeable battery online and replace relatively easily. You just have to keep track of all the parts and where they came from, especially a couple of tiny springs. You also have to reset the unit, by shorting two points inside the case, but these are marked up and there are plenty of tutorial videos on the process on YouTube. Took about twenty minutes to complete and watch has been perfect since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
I'd be surprised if it doesn't work left in full daylight, but even if the battery is actually dead they can be picked up on eBay for not too much

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
924 Posts
A light with greater intensity will wake it up. Charge it more the way you charge your solar watches. Transferring the battery from one watch to the other is a waste of time to me, for you just be transferring the problem to your other watch. Let me present other way to charge your watch. You can use your table lamp (I noticed the light infront of your table) to charge your watch. But be sure to put a LED bulb instead of an incandescent bulb. I use 9W LED bulb which is equivalent to 60W of incandescent bulb brightness. These LED bulbs are cheap from Walmart, usually 4 bulbs for $1.99. I put the lighted bulb about 1 to 2 inches near the face of the watch. LED emits minimal heat in this setup, so its safe for your watch. No offense to anybody, I am just sharing based on my experience. Here's what it looks like.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Followed your advice and charged it all day, the watch came back on, but 'RECOV' is flashing. Does this mean the battery is shot?
Kinda looking forward to taking it apart.
IMG_20170315_163859757.jpg

·
Registered
542 Posts
Followed your advice and charged it all day, the watch came back on, but 'RECOV' is flashing. Does this mean the battery is shot?
Kinda looking forward to taking it apart.
View attachment 11191162
Leave it for a week in a similar position, mine did this, but didn't hold a charge switching itself off whenever a function was used, light or alarm.
Give it a chance to charge, wait a week and as long as it's sunny where you are you might be lucky enough that it will charge up and hold that charge, failing that replace the battery, but make sure you get the same as the rechargeable ctl1616 is a bit harder to get than most "coin" type batteries as I think it is specific to G-shocks.
There should be a charge indicator, if it goes all the way to "h" for high and stays there when you use the light then you have saved the hassle of having to swap the battery. Good luck

Have you stored it in a glass-topped watch case as it needs a fairly constant source of light to remain charged. Leaving it shut away like I did will kill the battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,567 Posts
Leave it for a week in direct sunlight and it will recover just fine. It doesn't take long to come up to "recover" level. It will take several days of 8-9 hours of sunlight to bring the battery back to life and up to "High". Keep in mind, once it shows "High" it will still need to charge a couple of more days to make sure the solar cell ctl-1616 is "topped off".

Lamps to charge a watch is a bad idea. Some around here have ruined a watch that way. It gets hot and fries the internal circuitry or the lcd. Mother nature is best at charging any solar watch.

This is mine and its been on the same battery since new.

IMG_1367.JPG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts