WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one would be your preference? I guess technically any watch can be worn with any strap, but I think some watches fit comfortably in either category.

Off the top of my head a really thin dress watch, say a Zenith Ultra Thin, prob wouldn't look very good on anything but a leather strap.

A "Double Duty" watch would be something like an IWC Mark XVII, which looks good on either and even has that option from the manufacturer. Speedy Pro, DJ, and Sinn 556 would fit in this category as well imo.

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts
If you're going to have an extensive collection, then there's definitely a place for a "true" dress watch. These are some watches in my collection (arranged in order of decreasing dressiness), which span the gamut from what I would be comfortable wearing with a tux all the way to what I would be comfortable wearing with a suit in a professional setting.

·
Premium Member
63,991 Posts
I would go for the double duty watch since I feel that it would be much more use to me than a true dress watch.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Yes...I think the Date Just is a perfect double duty and I think the Day Date is even better as a double duty.
I think, most people when they use the term "dress watch", are not thinking Tux and High Hat. Just suit and tie.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
This is my double duty watch - does well for me. Certainly appropriate in dressy situations (especially now that it's on a black leather strap). But a little sporty too, with its 150 m water resistance and screw-down crown.

Ad.jpg

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
It really depends on your situation.

If you work in a business casual (or under) environement, you can get away with almost anything.

If you're wearing a suit and tie everyday, where it's more formal, the most important thing in my opinion is having a thin watch that can fit under your cuff. But then again, you see plenty of people in suits wearing Pam's etc.

In the end, do whatever you like. Unless you're wearing some crazy big watch or something in a crazy color, most people won't notice anyways. I like to dress for the situation. I have dressy watches that I wear in more dressy situtations and I wear sport watches in more casual situations.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Both types are well worth it for me but a 'true' dress watch has elegance that the dual purpose cannot match so it depends on what exactly you prefer the most.

·
Registered
27,103 Posts
I'll take a single duty sport watch, since I dress up about 3 timers per year, and will wear anything from a G-Shock to a Sub when I'm in a suit since no one looks or cares anyway. I have no use for anything dressy.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'd rather a t-shirt and jeans be dressed up with a dress watch than a suit dressed down with a sport watch. For me, a nice middle ground is a Vulcain Cricket. Then again, that's usually my answer for everything...

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I guess this is double-duty, but it's dressy enough for me. Still works in casual environments too.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
If I understand the original post (and I have trouble understanding MY posts!) I think you're asking if the addition of a strap can make some watches a "dress watch". Then you give several examples - but I think - for instance - a Sinn 556 or a Speedy Pro simply become "sport watches on a strap".
The DJ can squeek by well enough, The IWC fails totally because it is a pilot watch (Pilots are not dressy people - polyester short sleeve shirts w/ epaulets!) but primarily because of the red date index. So no, a strap can't make a watch into something it isn't though it can be an attractive component to one.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I understand the original post (and I have trouble understanding MY posts!) I think you're asking if the addition of a strap can make some watches a "dress watch". Then you give several examples - but I think - for instance - a Sinn 556 or a Speedy Pro simply become "sport watches on a strap".
The DJ can squeek by well enough, The IWC fails totally because it is a pilot watch (Pilots are not dressy people - polyester short sleeve shirts w/ epaulets!) but primarily because of the red date index. So no, a strap can't make a watch into something it isn't though it can be an attractive component to one.
Not exactly what I was asking but a valuable opinion nonetheless, thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How about Omega Aqua Terra? I'm thinking about getting one for myself. This one seems ok for both dressy and sporty environment.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I've got a silver dial Ball Fireman Victory on bracelet as my dual purpose watch. It's great because it's my suit and tie watch, yet I feel comfortable wearing it with jeans and a T-shirt. Haven't had occasion to wear a tux since I acquired it, but if I do, I'll fit it on a black strap.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If you're going to have an extensive collection, then there's definitely a place for a "true" dress watch. These are some watches in my collection (arranged in order of decreasing dressiness), which span the gamut from what I would be comfortable wearing with a tux all the way to what I would be comfortable wearing with a suit in a professional setting.
I would happily wear this one every day without worrying about it being too dressy or too sporty, but I'm a barbarian.

PS - My current double duty is a Citizen BM6400 on bracelet, so that's how much my opinion is worth. I err WAY on the sport side. If I find myself really needing a dress watch in the future I'll use it as an excuse to get a Hamilton Intra-Matic or Citizen Stiletto, but I think it's unlikely that a civil engineer will find himself in black tie settings.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Prime Minister of Finland:
bp8h0916.jpg

Minister for European Affairs and Foreign Trade:
stubbavoimenajuttu0407HL_uu.jpg

So, a decent double duty watch is far better than many can do.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If you have only a couple of watches, or a couple of watches of very substantial value, it makes sense to opt for versatility. You can always add a true dress watch of lesser value to your collection for occasions where you need it, and add a more substantial dress watch down the road if you choose to.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts