WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Just purchased a Sea-Gull off "trusthonestman" via eBay. The watch is marked as shipped but no tracking info was provided, and the estimated arrival window is pretty broad. I was just wondering if anyone who's dealt with this seller remembers how long it took their watch to arrive. I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer - my apologies if this topic has been covered before. FWIW, I live in the western US.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,790 Posts
I paid on April 7, and it arrived yesterday, April 19, so a bit less than two weeks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
he is a very responsive seller. typically drop ships to the US, then gets it to your house via fedex a few days later. if you email him, he can provide the fedex tracking number after about a week.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My watch came to my house in the UK in ten days. It had a two stage journey because the package I received came from a UK postal origin. Someone else called that 'drop shipped'. I'm not sure how that works, but it avoided import duty and sales tax, which is fine by me.

I think he is a very well regarded seller.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A bit of follow-up... I received the watch today, so that was nice. The watch looks good, except that the tip of the seconds hand is bent. Very strange. It's a purely aesthetic issue but it bugs me nonetheless... when I buy a new watch for $120, I expect it to look new, you know? And a bent seconds hand isn't something like a scuff or a scrape that I tend to overlook, since those are imperfections that any watch will acquire with time anyway. But a problem with the hands is just a pure manufacturing and QC error.

Contacted the seller and his first comment to me was that all Chinese watches have imperfections and that a "perfectionist" should spend more money and buy Swiss. Which I found to be a very strange comment - the vast majority of the watches I own are under $120 and even the cheapest among them didn't have obvious aesthetic flaws like this. I feel like it's not asking too much for a watch to look like it does in the listing photos - I'm not expecting Swiss or Japanese quality, just quality conforming to the seller's own listing. He said he'll accept the return but I will have to eat the shipping costs ($25 or so to Shanghai).

A very strange transaction, overall. I'm a little irritated but I'm not sure it's worth it to escalate the matter into an eBay dispute just to save $25. I definitely won't be buying from this seller anytime soon, though. I don't like the fact that I'm put in the position of having to "fix" things and absorb excess costs when it should be the seller's job to ship a watch that fully conforms to the item description in the first place.

·
Premium Member
21,790 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Contacted the seller and his first comment to me was that all Chinese watches have imperfections and that a "perfectionist" should spend more money and buy Swiss.
He is too honest for his own good! I have had a few emails from him and he is very "matter of fact warts and all", which I find rather refreshing. To a native English-speaker it can come across as flippant, but I assure you that he is very keen to have a happy customer.

It's bent on my M198S.

·
Banned
222 Posts
The second hand is slightly bent at the tip on purpose. Not unusual at all...

I've bought various watches from trusthonestman and I'm very happy with his service.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Lesserblackdog, can you tell us which watch you ordered from him and maybe post a pic of it? I would love to see how bent the second hand is.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ok. My watch is model M187S. But now I'm just confused. I've been looking very closely at some of the eBay pictures and some of them DO show a bend in the second hand, and some of them do not. I've googled a bunch of pictures of different M18X models and most of them look straight, a few of them bent. I am further perplexed as to why a watch would be designed with such a strange bend - it isn't simply bent down, but down and slightly to one side. And unlike the bend that Citizen V showed, it is a very short and pretty sharp bend. It doesn't appear to be for any visual illusion purpose like mleok said. The only illusion it gives me is that the hand is defective. :think:

P1070337.jpg

P1070340.jpg

Maybe it's not a QC "error" after all, but it still strikes me as pretty weird. It bugs me whenever I look at the watch. Almost like I would rather just take the second hand off altogether.

If the bent second hand really IS normal, then maybe I'd be better off simply selling it to another WUS member. That seems like it would be less hassle than having to ship to China.

·
Registered
949 Posts
A bent seconds hand usually is put in a watch with curved glass. A front picture of Your watch would help. If You look straight front and You see no bend, it's normal. If the bend is aside, it's defective.
If Your glass is flat, and You want a straight hand, You can try a local watchmaker to straighten it (or maybe shorten it).
Regards, Miro.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
P1070345.jpg

There it is from the top down. It doesn't show well in photos, but to my eye, the bend is still perceptible when viewed directly from the top.

I understand that a curved glass might necessitate a slight bend in the seconds hand (I am wearing a vintage watch right now that has gently curved hands), but what I don't understand is why the bend is so abrupt and right at the very tip. For that matter, the curve of the crystal is not particularly radical.

·
Registered
380 Posts
View attachment 694608

There it is from the top down. It doesn't show well in photos, but to my eye, the bend is still perceptible when viewed directly from the top.

I understand that a curved glass might necessitate a slight bend in the seconds hand (I am wearing a vintage watch right now that has gently curved hands), but what I don't understand is why the bend is so abrupt and right at the very tip. For that matter, the curve of the crystal is not particularly radical.

It is absolutely normal. My M177S is the same and it looks great.

If you don't like that watch, send it to me. I'll give it all the love it deserves.

How could you NOT love it??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts