WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on an exhausting search to try to find a watch that fits these specific criteria to no avail. I'm calling for help now hoping someone with a more expansive knowledge of watches can point me in the right direction. I have a hesalite sandwich 3572.50 Speedmaster for everyday wear but I also want a nice watch with a light-colored dial that will fit the bill for daily casual wear on random nato/zulu straps in rotation with the Speedy Pro. The only watch I have with a light dial is my Timex Weekender, the watch that originally got me into watches way back when, and I never wear it because I'd rather wear my one of my nicer watches.

Here's what I'm looking for...

• Budget: Up to $4k, at or under $3k preferred

• Size: 38-42mm diameter, 8-13mm thick, preferably 20mm lug width so that I can use the plethora of bands I already have

•Dial: White or silver preferred, cream or gray acceptable

•Style: I tend to lean toward chronographs but am open to any other options from dress to diver as long as it'll look good on a nato/zulu

• Respectable movement and craftsmanship

I'm open to vintage pieces as well as new pieces. So far I keep on coming up empty.

And what's a post without a photo, right? Here's my Speedmaster. Thanks a ton for anyone that can help me find it some worthy company.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431476279.393531.jpg

Reactions: dantan

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chrono is a plus but other styles are more than welcome. I have a chrono covered with the Speedy Pro after all, and I also have a nice diver covered. I do tend to love chronos most but could use something different stylistically to round out the collection a bit.

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Nice watch! What about a Longines Heritage 1973 Column Wheel Chronograph?

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

Reactions: jilgiljongiljing

·
Premium Member
5,692 Posts
39mm, well within budget:

White-dial-39-mm_soldat_large.png

·
Registered
247 Posts
Any number of Longines watches fit the bill, including this one for around $3,200

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If chronographs are your thing, the obvious places to look are the Speedmaster Professional and Zenith El Primero.

·
Registered
712 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431489597.713811.jpg
Vintage Rolex. 20mm lug width. A bit small but wears fantastically well. Could go for a 38mm Tudor.

Aqua Terra is always a good choice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
El Primero is high on my radar for sure as is the Aqua Terra. I need to look into the Longines options but I have the same problem with them as I do with the Chopard in that they're pretty generic beyond the design. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431515091.851067.jpg

Any vintage recs?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Since it's launch at Basel this year, I've been dying to get my hands on one of these, Hamilton Khaki Navy Pioneer Chronograph.
hamilton-khak-navy-pioneer-auto-02 (1).jpg

·
Registered
499 Posts
How about a Tudor Grantour silver dial....they make it in chrono too. Its at the top end of your size range but they are relatively cheap, especially pre-owned. And they would definitely look great on NATO.

Reactions: Paulo 8135

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
El Primero is high on my radar for sure as is the Aqua Terra.
Did somebody say Aqua Terra? Absolutely recommended, especially the older model. 39mm in size, nice and thin (haven't measured it but definitely in the 10-12mm range). 20mm lugs and it looks awesome on straps:

OEM Omega croc:

Aftermarket croc:

And it dresses down nicely too:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only hangup I have with those is the prevalent use of blue on the dial. It just doesn't work for me. I do like the white dials with gold markers though. That's high on my list.

That Longines is nice for sure. Will have to check into the movement info. Would be versatile and look great on a nato.

For the Tudors I tend to like the older big block chronos but dislike the case thickness. It looks unbalanced to me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts