WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've posted a couple of times here, but I usually hang out in the Dive Watches forum, as well as a few other places around WUS. I had a 2254.50 a couple of years ago, and ever since I flipped it, I've been jonesing for another Omega. I'm definately picking up a PO as a Christmas gift to myself, and I'll spare you all my mental gyrations about what size and color combo to choose. :think: I'm really asking for help with a possible chrono purchase. My collection consists of almost all dive watches, and I'd like to shed some of those and pick up the Speedy that I've always wanted. Plus, since the wife has greenlighted the PO purchase, why not get two watches when making the call to the Favorite AD? Better to ask forgiveness than permission, right? :-d

I've read more threads than I can count about this subject, and after visiting a local AD, I'm still on the fence about what to do. At the risk of rambling, here are some thoughts that I have about all this. First of all, am I a bad American for not being revved up about the history of the Moon Watch? I'm an IT consultant and I live for technology of all sorts, but the 3570.50 is missing some key elements (date, sapphire, automatic movement) for a $3K watch. I'm not a huge space exploration fan, but I do think it's cool that a similar watch was worn on the moon. But didn't that watch have a different movement and some slightly different size/cosmetic differences compared to the current one? I realize that it's a direct descendent, but it seems that you need to go vintage to truly get a 'Moon Watch' anyway. But then again, maybe I'm off base here, since I keep reading about people going in another direction and then regretting that they'd not bought the original Speedy Pro. Anyway, as a wearer of fairly large dive watches, one clear advantage in my mind is the size. I don't have any watches under 42mm anymore, and I don't have much desire to head back in that direction.

As a side note, I do realize that the 3573.50 sapphire sandwich will solve one of the missing elements, but the price tag for those two pieces of glass is tough to swallow! But I really don't like plastic crystals, and I don't plan on heading into any zero-g environments any time soon. ;-)

So preferring a watch with a date, and hopefully an auto, I began looking at the various date models. I think the 3220.50 looks a bit cluttered, but I'm intrigued by the 3210.50. Seems to have a similar look as the 3570.50, and it's got the sapphire, auto, and date. But when I tried one on, it seemed REALLY small. Am I off base in thinking that switching between this watch and either size PO would be pretty tough? If this one was in the 42mm case, I just might have a winner. I don't see a lot of talk about this line of watches, so I assume they're not very popular in these parts?

Seemingly striking out on the Speedy Date models due to size, I came across the Legend Edition watches. The color scheme of the 3507.51 strays even further from the traditional Speedy Pro look, but it does have the big case, the same subdial layout, date, and sapphire. And the idea of a column wheel chronograph movement is something that appeals to me, although the price is higher than the others. Just when I think I may have found my answer, I begin reading of horror stories of 33xx movements exploding in flames like a Ford Pinto in a rear end collision. Well, maybe not that bad, but there is clearly a group of people that hate these movements and will never own them again. Not being one that likes to spend extra money to buy a potential problem, I'm now a bit gunshy on these watches as well.

So I finally come around and think maybe I should just combine the two and get the Planet Ocean Chrono. No dice on that one, since it hung off my 7" wrist like a hubcap. I have other watches of similar size that fit well, but the XL PO has no downward curve to the lugs, and IMO it's much harder to pull it off on a smaller wrist. Then I come across Jean Michel's fantastic pictures of his 2594.52 Blakepedition, and I have another watch in the mix. The size is a better fit for me, but the price tag means I wouldn't be able to get the PO, which isn't an option. Plus, with either of these dive watch chronos, you're back to the pesky 33xx movements again...

So after all this, I'm wondering if I should just bag the whole idea and go with another brand? I really want to get an Omega, and the idea of a Plain Jane 7750 from another company isn't that appealing. I can't be the only person in this dilemma, so any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Normally I'd just pull the trigger on one and flip it if I didn't like it, but I'm really making an effort to get out of the 'catch and release' mode of collecting. I want to refine my collection down to a smaller number of keepers, and I always thought that would include an Omega Speedmaster. I guess I just figured with all the variations, I wouldn't have such a hard time finding the right one for me.

Anyway, this is a great forum with lots of good info, and I look forward to unveiling my new Omega(s) soon. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Hi,

I'm not an expert at all on Speedy's, though if you would allow me:

- I'm not particularly a NASA/Space Program fan too but that doesn't deter me from appreciating the Moonwatch's details.
- Is a brand new 3570 really 3K? If so that's a whole lot more than I thought. Some guys on the forum here believe that one should never buy a Speedy brand new. I can't really detail the philosophy behind it but having read about it many times it does make sense too. Perhaps someone can elaborate on this...
- The "key elements" for me on the Speedy are the hesalite, the no-date, and the winding feature. This would have been hard for me to digest a few years back but after having examined and gone over these "features" of the Speedy Pro many many times I am truly convinced that this is it.
- Since you will be getting a PO (congratulations!) and have several dive watches already, why not get a Speedy? It looks great on leather strap or bracelet, and would perhaps be a welcome change...

Opinions only...good luck!

Glimmer

·
Registered
562 Posts
i started to read that wall of text of yours and then i got sucked into the small pic of the awesome U1 in your sig and thats about as far as i got.

hehe, just kidding.

i understand your quest, i just wish i had some good advice for you. when i started mine, i was eyeballing the speedy's myself. at the time i was on the fence over the date/day-date line. then the broad arrow looked good. the only thing i really couldnt get past, and its trivial i know, is the way the crystal dome sits higher than the bezel. then i caught sight of the P.O. and it was over. i still love the looks of the speedy's and especially alot of the pictures these guys take/make on this board. good luck to you on your quest, i am sure you will find the right Omega for you.

side note: i hate to take you off track but, how does that U1 wear compared to the 45 PO you tried on? that sinn is calling my name but i dont know if a 6 and 3/4" wrist will do it.

Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
The 3570 was the only way to go for me, Just ordered one this afternoon. I am very much of a traditionalist and in this case I guess I care more about the history than the features. I am sure that is not the case with everyone. That is why there are so many watches to choose from.
Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

I'm not an expert at all on Speedy's, though if you would allow me:

- I'm not particularly a NASA/Space Program fan too but that doesn't deter me from appreciating the Moonwatch's details.
Same here. I can appreciate the history, but the question is how much am I willing to pay for it? :-d

- Is a brand new 3570 really 3K? If so that's a whole lot more than I thought. Some guys on the forum here believe that one should never buy a Speedy brand new. I can't really detail the philosophy behind it but having read about it many times it does make sense too. Perhaps someone can elaborate on this...
Yes, that's the MSRP. I would hope that number is closer to $2K after discount, but I haven't spoken to the AD yet. I'm considering holding off on the purchase and looking for a 'gently used' Speedy, as a lower price would definately make the deal sweeter.

- The "key elements" for me on the Speedy are the hesalite, the no-date, and the winding feature. This would have been hard for me to digest a few years back but after having examined and gone over these "features" of the Speedy Pro many many times I am truly convinced that this is it.
I think you're right. The key elements are also the ones that give me the most pause as I consider buying one. But it seems that many people come to appreciate these things on a Speedy Pro, even though they might not ever consider them on other watches. And I suppose once you go with an auto/sapphire/date, then you're in the territory of about 100 other similar chronos, and it's no longer a true Speedmaster.

- Since you will be getting a PO (congratulations!) and have several dive watches already, why not get a Speedy? It looks great on leather strap or bracelet, and would perhaps be a welcome change...

Opinions only...good luck!

Glimmer
Definately going to go with some kind of chrono, preferably one that's versatile enough to be worn in more dressy situations. That's one of the things that I like about the Speedy Pro. Thanks for your input, Glimmer!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
For $3k bucks, you can't get a better watch...

in my humble opinion. Seriously, the Speedy represents amazing value for money. Its beautifully made, has a great matte dial that is so simple you can't help but look at it as those elegant hands go by. And for me, its as near as perfect on the wrist as you can get - comfortable, legible and as accurate as you could need. I never got the Speedy thing until I bought one...

"True moon watch" or not, the 3570.50 shows its pedigree by being used as official NASA flight equipment as we speak. Pretty much everything about it screams "form follows function". The Hesalite crystal does mark, but it just adds to the "tool" feel of the watch - and will not shatter if you drop it. And it looks great on either the OEM bracelet, or a strap - in a word its perfect:-! And it never bothers me that it doesn't have a date feature or has to be manually wound.

Regarding other Speedy derivatives: The Sapphire Sandwich is nice, but imo, not worth the extra outlay over the Speedy Pro - although the Sapphire crystal on the front is beautifully done. The Speedy date is a little small at 40mm. The Broad Arrow series is nice, but is larger and more expensive than the Pro. For the money Omega want for a BA GMT in the UK, you could get a GO Navigator.

Good luck with your decision.

Alex

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i started to read that wall of text of yours
Yeah, sorry about the wall of text. I don't blame anyone for skipping all that verbage. :-d

side note: i hate to take you off track but, how does that U1 wear compared to the 45 PO you tried on? that sinn is calling my name but i dont know if a 6 and 3/4" wrist will do it.

Thanks
The U1 is definately a better fit on a smaller wrist compared to the PO XL. While they are about the same diameter, the lug to lug measurement of the Sinn is several mm smaller. This means the bracelet drapes downward much better IMO. The big PO seemed to have a gap where the bracelet angled sharply down from the endlinks, while the Sinn didn't. This pic shows the watch on my 7" (or slightly under) wrist:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b85/gabe23/IMG_4722_New.jpg

Thanks for the comments, weavin!

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 3570 was the only way to go for me, Just ordered one this afternoon. I am very much of a traditionalist and in this case I guess I care more about the history than the features. I am sure that is not the case with everyone. That is why there are so many watches to choose from.
Good luck which ever way you decide to go.
Thanks, M.Photog. It definately comes down to tradition and heritage vs. features. And honestly, it's not like I have to have the date (I'm in front of a device showing the date almost all the time), or the auto for that matter. As for the hesalite, that may be where I have to draw the line. I briefly owned a Sinn 103 with an acrylic crystal, and I just couldn't warm up to how it looked from different angles. So maybe I need to be on the lookout for a good deal on a sapphire sandwich...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi,

Glimmer
2 yrs ago I had a choice between a Tag Carrera auto and a speedy not knowing much research and about the crystal I choose the Tag while I enjoyed it alot over the last 2 years - I started doing a bit of research and the speedy just won me over - traded the tag for a speedy and it has been filled the void that the tag could not.

The 3 key elements and heres how I approached each one
1) Hesalite - Prob the main concern - I use brasso to clean up the crystal and while I am a careful user there are concerns for deeper scratches which I can either take it and get it cleaned properly or replace it.

2) No date - Actually funnily enough I remember the date more often now - with the tag I always relied on my watch and would look at it more than 3+
times a day since I would forget it.

3) manual wind - I wind it everyday and it takes less than 1-2 min. I didnt think I would enjoy it but yeah its nice to wind my watch.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: For $3k bucks, you can't get a better watch...

in my humble opinion. Seriously, the Speedy represents amazing value for money. Its beautifully made, has a great matte dial that is so simple you can't help but look at it as those elegant hands go by. And for me, its as near as perfect on the wrist as you can get - comfortable, legible and as accurate as you could need. I never got the Speedy thing until I bought one...

"True moon watch" or not, the 3570.50 shows its pedigree by being used as official NASA flight equipment as we speak. Pretty much everything about it screams "form follows function". The Hesalite crystal does mark, but it just adds to the "tool" feel of the watch - and will not shatter if you drop it. And it looks great on either the OEM bracelet, or a strap - in a word its perfect:-! And it never bothers me that it doesn't have a date feature or has to be manually wound.

Regarding other Speedy derivatives: The Sapphire Sandwich is nice, but imo, not worth the extra outlay over the Speedy Pro - although the Sapphire crystal on the front is beautifully done. The Speedy date is a little small at 40mm. The Broad Arrow series is nice, but is larger and more expensive than the Pro. For the money Omega want for a BA GMT in the UK, you could get a GO Navigator.

Good luck with your decision.

Alex
Thanks, Alex. Your opinion of the Speedy Pro is definately shared by many people here, which makes me lean towards pulling the trigger on one. And if the sapphire sandwich was only a couple hundred dollars more, that may be the direction to go.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
actually what you mentioned about tradition and heritage vs. features is very true. its a tough decision isnt it? and the brands are smart and they dont put everything in one watch!

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Hi everyone. I've posted a couple of times here, but I usually hang out in the Dive Watches forum, as well as a few other places around WUS. I had a 2254.50 a couple of years ago, and ever since I flipped it, I've been jonesing for another Omega. I'm definately picking up a PO as a Christmas gift to myself, and I'll spare you all my mental gyrations about what size and color combo to choose. :think: I'm really asking for help with a possible chrono purchase. My collection consists of almost all dive watches, and I'd like to shed some of those and pick up the Speedy that I've always wanted. Plus, since the wife has greenlighted the PO purchase, why not get two watches when making the call to the Favorite AD? Better to ask forgiveness than permission, right? :-d

I've read more threads than I can count about this subject, and after visiting a local AD, I'm still on the fence about what to do. At the risk of rambling, here are some thoughts that I have about all this. First of all, am I a bad American for not being revved up about the history of the Moon Watch? I'm an IT consultant and I live for technology of all sorts, but the 3570.50 is missing some key elements (date, sapphire, automatic movement) for a $3K watch. I'm not a huge space exploration fan, but I do think it's cool that a similar watch was worn on the moon. But didn't that watch have a different movement and some slightly different size/cosmetic differences compared to the current one? I realize that it's a direct descendent, but it seems that you need to go vintage to truly get a 'Moon Watch' anyway. But then again, maybe I'm off base here, since I keep reading about people going in another direction and then regretting that they'd not bought the original Speedy Pro. Anyway, as a wearer of fairly large dive watches, one clear advantage in my mind is the size. I don't have any watches under 42mm anymore, and I don't have much desire to head back in that direction.

As a side note, I do realize that the 3573.50 sapphire sandwich will solve one of the missing elements, but the price tag for those two pieces of glass is tough to swallow! But I really don't like plastic crystals, and I don't plan on heading into any zero-g environments any time soon. ;-)

So preferring a watch with a date, and hopefully an auto, I began looking at the various date models. I think the 3220.50 looks a bit cluttered, but I'm intrigued by the 3210.50. Seems to have a similar look as the 3570.50, and it's got the sapphire, auto, and date. But when I tried one on, it seemed REALLY small. Am I off base in thinking that switching between this watch and either size PO would be pretty tough? If this one was in the 42mm case, I just might have a winner. I don't see a lot of talk about this line of watches, so I assume they're not very popular in these parts?

Seemingly striking out on the Speedy Date models due to size, I came across the Legend Edition watches. The color scheme of the 3507.51 strays even further from the traditional Speedy Pro look, but it does have the big case, the same subdial layout, date, and sapphire. And the idea of a column wheel chronograph movement is something that appeals to me, although the price is higher than the others. Just when I think I may have found my answer, I begin reading of horror stories of 33xx movements exploding in flames like a Ford Pinto in a rear end collision. Well, maybe not that bad, but there is clearly a group of people that hate these movements and will never own them again. Not being one that likes to spend extra money to buy a potential problem, I'm now a bit gunshy on these watches as well.

So I finally come around and think maybe I should just combine the two and get the Planet Ocean Chrono. No dice on that one, since it hung off my 7" wrist like a hubcap. I have other watches of similar size that fit well, but the XL PO has no downward curve to the lugs, and IMO it's much harder to pull it off on a smaller wrist. Then I come across Jean Michel's fantastic pictures of his 2594.52 Blakepedition, and I have another watch in the mix. The size is a better fit for me, but the price tag means I wouldn't be able to get the PO, which isn't an option. Plus, with either of these dive watch chronos, you're back to the pesky 33xx movements again...

So after all this, I'm wondering if I should just bag the whole idea and go with another brand? I really want to get an Omega, and the idea of a Plain Jane 7750 from another company isn't that appealing. I can't be the only person in this dilemma, so any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Normally I'd just pull the trigger on one and flip it if I didn't like it, but I'm really making an effort to get out of the 'catch and release' mode of collecting. I want to refine my collection down to a smaller number of keepers, and I always thought that would include an Omega Speedmaster. I guess I just figured with all the variations, I wouldn't have such a hard time finding the right one for me.

Anyway, this is a great forum with lots of good info, and I look forward to unveiling my new Omega(s) soon. Thanks for reading!
Me too...............
jim
ps
I couldn't help it. Sorry!

·
Registered
562 Posts
OnTimeGabe :

Thank you sir for the low down on the U1 and great pic. Nice weather, nice beach, and a nice watch... cant beat that! I dont know how much longer I can hold out on snatching one up.

:-!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Re: For $3k bucks, you can't get a better watch...

in my humble opinion. Seriously, the Speedy represents amazing value for money. Its beautifully made, has a great matte dial that is so simple you can't help but look at it as those elegant hands go by.
Exactly my words. Except,

Even though I think Speedmaster is one of the most beautiful watch, in my eyes it has this one small cosmetical drawback. I try to bring it gently to you with forewords..Now, the bezel is beautiful black, hands are beautiful stylish yet absolute white contrasting beautifully to the black dial, but wait...the dial is not black, its somehow odd grayish, in worst cases its just light gray.

Now, the most beautiful speedies are those 50s, 60s original dial versions, where the dial actually darkened until it really is a black one, those are absolute beauties.

In certain light my 105.012 looks good, but in normal light, the grayness just spoil the package a bit. Maybe its just me :-s

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Me too...............
jim
ps
I couldn't help it. Sorry!
You South Carolina guys with your sense of humor... I've spent my whole life living in GA, FL, and NC, so your state is always in my way when I'm trying to get somewhere! :-d

So I take it from your pics that you recommend the Speedy Pro?!? ;-)

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OnTimeGabe :

Thank you sir for the low down on the U1 and great pic. Nice weather, nice beach, and a nice watch... cant beat that! I dont know how much longer I can hold out on snatching one up.

:-!
Glad to help. I've been thinking of selling my U1, but it's worth more to me than I can get for it! Plus, it's a great counterbalance to the Planet Ocean that I'll be getting (no polished bits, super clean dial, etc.).

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
actually what you mentioned about tradition and heritage vs. features is very true. its a tough decision isnt it? and the brands are smart and they dont put everything in one watch!
That's a very good point, and I'm sure the boys at Swatch would be happy for me to buy several to meet all my needs! And hanging around this place with all the great pics, that just might happen... ;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts