WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decided between the Pam 176 and the Bell & Ross BR-01 92 limited with the orange indicators. Which whould you buy and why.

All opinions welcome

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
wow, talk about two different watches...

the panny base is a great watch, classic and yet very contemporary: I had a 111f.
Have you tried on the BR? It's HUGH! The case geometry makes it a bit uncomfortable on my wrist, and it just looks odd on: I did not care for how it looked on a wrist.
My vote goes with the panny, but it's your cash and your choice :)
DW

·
Registered
459 Posts
the b&r just looks odd to me. they are very popular though according to one of the a.d. here in vegas. i personally would choose the panerai, a great watch rich in history. the 176 is a great choice if you like the ti case. good luck. ;-) mko.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have tried on the BR and it is huge maybe a little too FLAVOR FLAV! But for some reason it still appeals to me. Decision

·
Registered
765 Posts
Panerai is a must have. The Bell & Ross is unususual looking watch. According to my local AD the Bell sells well. But it does look bulky.

I cant tell you how many times I get stopped and asked about my two Panerais! They are great looking watches and a terrific addition to any collection

·
Registered
638 Posts
Obviously, since I'm a big Panerai guy, I'm gonna have a skewed opinion, but I find Bell & Ross watches too clown-like. I love big watches as much as the next guy, but they try waaaaay too hard to get noticed. And honestly, I find they just look like you pulled an instrument from the flight deck of a plane and slapped it on your wrist!

A Panerai Base model will always look stylish and should you ever decide to move on to another watch, you probably won't lose a penny when you go to sell it!

BT

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Obviously you like both otherwise this thread would not exist, so really it would be a matter of what you prefer most, sure the B&R looks like it comes from a As Brad put it a flight deck which IMO is probably what B&R was trying to achieve with that design,kind of strange really as they are two totaly different breeds here,so really its what DO YOU!! like better???? However all that said and done personally I would in this case choose the Panerai.|>
Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I would vote for the B&R. :gold :-! I like the style and design of this watch. Panerai's have not grown on me yet. Or how about get each one and that would take care of deciding which one to pick!!!!!

Stephen

·
Registered
638 Posts
B&R...ughhhhh!!!

I dunno..I looked at the B&R again, and I just can't ever see myself warming to the design...

It just reminds me of a warning beacon or something!

Now compare that to the classic clean lines of the Panerai Base...

Once again...I don't see where there is an argument here...the smart money's gotta be on the Panerai!

BT

·
Registered
638 Posts
BIG CHRONO said:
"...I contend the Panerais are overpriced..."
Now hold on, Hoss! Overpriced is a VERY relative term when yer talkin' about fancy timepieces...the only thing that determines the price is what guys like us are willing to pay for it! I have three Panerais and while there are guys who will rail on all day and night about how the things cost too much given their componants, I could give a rip! The same could be said about ANY high-end watch! The watch has a groovy history, it looks great and it's not like every other watch out there! Sure, you could say the B&R doesn't look like ANYTHING else available today, but then, why would anybody wanna make another watch that looks like that?!!

BT

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: B&R...ughhhhh!!!

Brad Trent said:
I dunno..I looked at the B&R again, and I just can't ever see myself warming to the design...

It just reminds me of a warning beacon or something!

BT
It reminds me of being in the cockpit of a vintage aircraft.

Stephen

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
I wouldn't buy the B&R and try to exchange it for a Panerai after 30 days. While PAM's hold their value on the used market, I'm not too sure about B&R's.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi,

While I do have 3 Pams, I do like the look of the BR. I plan on adding one to my collection real soon. That being said maybe the BR would be a good first choice because if your like me you won't just stop at one Panerai they are addicting. :-!

JIM

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the opinions guys, but to honest I'm just as confused as when I started. Here's the deal I can find a new Pam 176 on ebay abour $3,600 from a reputable seller but my AD is offering the B&R at a discounted price (about $3,000). I don't think I'll lose any money with either, and they are complete opposites of the same coin which is the reason why this so confusing. The coin is they both have a rich history in making watch, they are both large watches, and they both used ETA modified movements. Opposed, one is a divers and the other aeronautical and there look nothing alike. Both are unique and desirable. I think the Panny will work my as a day to day watch because of it's size you can still wear it with a long sleave. The B&R + long leave = good luck. I can't decide but I need to before the time I get my next expense check. DAMN this is tough.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Blackrover said:
Thanks for the opinions guys, but to honest I'm just as confused as when I started. Here's the deal I can find a new Pam 176 on ebay abour $3,600 from a reputable seller but my AD is offering the B&R at a discounted price (about $3,000). I don't think I'll lose any money with either, and they are complete opposites of the same coin which is the reason why this so confusing. The coin is they both have a rich history in making watch, they are both large watches, and they both used ETA modified movements. Opposed, one is a divers and the other aeronautical and there look nothing alike. Both are unique and desirable. I think the Panny will work my as a day to day watch because of it's size you can still wear it with a long sleave. The B&R + long leave = good luck. I can't decide but I need to before the time I get my next expense check. DAMN this is tough.
If you're still on the fence, & don't wish to start
gravitating to other brands, then what about com-
paring other Panerai & Bell & Ross models? You can
do your homework online, then @ the watch shop(s).
Remember, as Linus van Pelt stated circa 1968: "No
problem is too big, nor complicated, that it can't be
run away from". :-D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts