WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many many years ago when I was a young lad, I was looking through the Sportsman's Guide catalog and came across the most amazing watch. It was sometime between 1990 and 1993, it was olive drab green resin (about the same color as a green G-Shock Rangeman), square shaped, had a gold-colored thermometer sensor on the face, and had a mini bubble compass embedded in the band (it could be popped out for cleaning). It definitely wasn't a G-Shock (my grandpa was a huge fan of G-Shock and had a classic square at the time, so I knew what a G-Shock was), but it may have been a Casio though my brain always tells me it was a Timex (though it may have been another brand as well). It was definitely pre-Indiglo since all it had for a backlight was a simple yellowish light on one side. I know that for sure because I remember when the Indiglo watches came out and being fascinated by how well they would glow.

I remember saving up for MONTHS to get it because I thought it was the COOLEST thing. Wearing it made me feel like James Bond. It was the first watch I ever owned and I loved it. But I have been unable to find anything like it searching the internet, so I'm just wondering if anyone has seen something like it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Had that same Casio thermometer Watch in the late 80’s. You had to leave it off your wrist for 30 minutes or so to get an accurate temp reading. Lol. Wish I knew what I did with it. Still have all my Swatches in a box but none of my old Casios. What a shame.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None of those are it :( The Blazer is close (especially with the compass), but I know for sure it was olive drab green and more square shaped.

Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I did some more digging and I found this guy:

Which is pretty dang close, but mine was more square with no round "tide" bezel and no Indiglo.

It basically looked like that one above had a love child with this:

That case shape, buttons, but in green resin with a gold thermometer and the compass strap from the one above. And 100% no Indiglo.

Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The closest I found was a special (?) Casio TS-1000 like this one :

https://watchcharts.com/listing/1488425

But I have no idea if the strap is stock or if he just added a compass...
At least you saw it ! You can always say if the compass was the same or if it was really mold into the band.
Honestly, it was a LOT like this one just in green, with a gold colored temp sensor. The compass was definitely embedded in the strap, though. There was a little ridge molded in the strap that held it in and you could push it through the other side.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,869 Posts
Honestly, it was a LOT like this one just in green, with a gold colored temp sensor. The compass was definitely embedded in the strap, though. There was a little ridge molded in the strap that held it in and you could push it through the other side.
That exactly how it's done and exactly how it looks on Timex. I happen to have one with hole in place of compass. Green, gold peg and strap with compass.
Doubt Casio put out golden peg on top of sensor. They been silver all i saw.
I had later Casio model in around 1996-2000 as my only watch. One with map. It was pretty cool for a time.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I don't know what watch it was but I wanted to say that I was a fan of The Sportsman's Guide catalog for many years. I don't know if I ever ordered anything, but I sure enjoyed looking at what they had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts