WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new 6900 module arrived in the post yesterday, the idea being to see if I can reverse the display and have that as an option for my dw-8400 mudman. I have polarising film on its way too and all the instructions courtesy of the sticky in this forum.

So, I carefully took the module out of the muddie and offered up the 6900 module only to find that the words "casio" and "water 20bar resist" plus the numbers for the 10 to 50 seconds display (the third "eye") seem to be on the inside of the crystal itself, whereas on the 6900 they's on the plastic frame around the display.

What a bummer! I really wanted to get rid of the nasty chrome bit around the third display, especially if I'm going to try and stealth it.

Any suggestions welcomed!

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
This shows what I mean...

View attachment 103812
I think painting is about teonly option that comes immediately to mind. Another possibility is to find the piece that went to the all-black model (men in black I believe) and switch that into the watch. Perhaps Casio Japan could source the part?

On a secondary note, how did you remove that bit around the LCD display???:think: I'm really interested to know because if it's easily done, I might have a great project in mind for a few watches....b-)

Thanks and let us know what you decide to do!

Kev

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone. I do have more pics - just posted what I thought was the clearest. I am concerned that the only way to swap these modules is to remove the painted writing because then there's no going back to the original module in the way Mr Casio intended. The plastic surround I pulled at carefully with my fingernail, along the bottom straight edge - it didn't seem to be attached in any way, but is needs to be fitted in past the button pushes much like the main module does.

When I get home from work I'll post the other pics.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I try not to make permanent changes to the G-Shocks I work on, especially on a nice one like that. Have you looked into getting a spare crystal? They've probably been discontinued, but you might be able to find a used one somewhere if you're not in a hurry. Maybe you can find another face plate or modify one instead of removing the paint on the crystal?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking that I may just get a spare Muddie bezel (TikTox has some now, but only 3...) and have a choice of two!!

My polarising film arrived today, so I took the plunge and removed the existing film (tough glue, and slightly nicked the display but, fortunately, not in the visible area), used that as a template, remembered to check that it was the right way round :think: and, lo and behold...

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Dive computer Font

However, it seems that this new film is a) scratched and b) a heavier guage than the original, as you may be able to see in the next image:

Technology

The original filter is on the left and the new film (minus the bit i used) is on the right.

I think the result is too dark in normal mode, althought it looks great when backlit.

Anyone got an offcut of film they'd let me have..? :roll:

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Hi SmartUK,

My countercurrent opinion here, even as I love reverse LCD a lot, is don't do it. You have a classic G there, cool and smart enough even without reversing. :-!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm coming round to the idea of leaving the Muddie as nature intended and getting a bezel and band for the 6900; I used to have a 6600 and kinda miss it..!

I'd still be interested in getting hold of some "proper" polarising film, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts