WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Little bit of a rant...

What is it about brand-name that effects us all so? I mean I've recently found myself fawning over Breitlings, and IWC watches that aren't necessarily even close to my favorite in a particular... type... of watch. I find myself wanting a watch that non-WIS's might recognize... even when said watch costs SO much more than BETTER watches I already know about.

I'll give you an example.. The Breitling SuperOcean 44:

Superocean-44.jpg

I'd be looking at spending around 3K for this watch... when it doesn't even offer anything BEYOND brandname over other watches I frankly like better... like the Oris Aquis... which can be had for about 1.5K-2K less.

oris aquis.JPG

Please I know some of you may prefer the Breitling for reasons other than brand name. But I truly prefer the Oris, and it fits the same "wrist role" for me.

Maybe it's the snob in me... I want to be recognized as wearing a fine watch? Maybe I'm trying to provoke others to take an interest in what interests me? I just don't know... but I need to shake it off... I've been around WUS long enough to NOT be taken by these overpriced watches with brand-name allure...

Anyone else feel similarly? Or have overcome? Or think I'm wrong?

-Max

Reactions: Jorgie

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Are you sure you don't like it simply because it isn't a bad looking watch?

I mean, if you were really looking to get a watch that panders to both the general public and WUS, then you'd be looking at an Omega.

·
Banned
4,234 Posts
In my region of the US, a Fossil brand watch is usually the most expensive in the room. Recently moved up to a Tissot, I really doubt anybody here will recognize it for its brand. I find myself lusting after an Omega/Breitling/Longines. I sometimes feel I'm in a contest with myself, but I won't spend thousands of dollars on something that I don't really ​like. I admit, I wan't a nice brand on my wrist. But for me. Its cold in SD 9 months out of the year, it will be under a coat sleeve.

PS: Like the Oris:-!

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Personally I like breitling on the example not simply because of the brand,I like the splash of blue on the dial and the lugs (easier to find replacement straps)

Usually I like the watch not because of its brand,I like (or dislike) it because of its style or details

For example,I was so close to pulling the trigger on newer gen sub no date,but I got turned of by the "rolexrolexrolexrolex" written on the inner bezel,another nightmare also happened when I wanted to buy a milgauss GV,IMO that detail made the watch looks cheap,maybe it's because I've spend too much time wearing Pam,so I've gotten so used to its simplicity and boldness

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Both the SO44 and the Aquis are excellent watches. I think the splash of color is making the SO44 stand out a little more. I would look at Maldives instead of the Aquis for the incredible looking teal blue bezel and dial.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
I judge a watch on its merits as opposed to brand name. Be pleased that you can appreciate less expensive pieces - it'll be better for your bank balance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I own a Breitling and an Oris but I buy watches for the way they look, features etc not for what people may say about them.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If these were two brands I had never heard of and I knew nothing of their quality or price, I would think that the Breitling is the much nicer looking watch.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like I said some may honestly prefer the Breitling. But the only reason I find myself considering it over the Oris is because it is a Breitling.... Which is stupid

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: RBrylawski

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Like I said some may honestly prefer the Breitling. But the only reason I find myself considering it over the Oris is because it is a Breitling.... Which is stupid

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Well, the fact that you realize it puts you head and shoulders above most.

AND, if it were the Breitling SuperOcean Heritage VS Oris TT1 Diver, I'd be in the same boat.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
The watches are different. Which do you like better judging looks only? Are you able to do that?

I find the Breitling beautiful. I would not say that of the Oris, though I think it is a nice looking watch.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
The thing is pal, we are talking (IMHO) not only about watches but about jewellery too here..............and brand name counts for a lot.....after fighting this losing battle for a while on this issue with myself, I decided for Omega PO, satisfies my horological instincts and has a cachet with the non-WUS crowd too...

Reactions: akasnowmaaan

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
The only way to shake off the yoke of branding is to buy products with no brand name, logo or other information that identifies the watch company. Few of us are ready to spend the kind of money we do with no idea about the reputation if the watch company and the perceived status of their watches. Maybe you are but I am not.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Most of my collection are sure not the WIS norm,and i really don't care about brand names either.All 35+ watches in my collection are quartz watches with varying company names.It took a little time,but i believe i found what i really preferred in a watch,and not the name.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Doboji,

Completey agree with your point and the self-questioning that entails about a 'lesser' brand. The problem is, no matter the rational approach, the lesser brand never quite seems to satisfy. However, I recently realised that if too close to a "like for like" situation (which in a way is the comparison you present) it is hard to break the perception that one brand offers 'less' - whether true or not.

Recently I seemed to overcome this dilemma when I bought a model from a boutique brand. If not cheap, it was fraction of what I might normally consider spending, yet the pleasure it has given is comparable (if not more) to a high end watch. Friends have admired it and also purchased and I have just ordered another model.

I have owned many Breitlings and must have looked closely at Oris divers hundreds of times yet never bought one (presumably feeling exactly as you)...and thats why I mentioned the 'like for like' comparison -even if Oris are generally a lot cheaper and offer bang for the buck. But, when I really broke out of my regular purchase patterns, it ended up being an eye opener. The boutique brand watch I purchased is agrictultural in one sense (finish), especially when compared to some other pieces I own, but it is stylish, built like a tank (ETA movement) and I cannot believe how attached I have become to it (so decided to buy an even cheaper version as another beater).

So the trick seems to be (stating the obvious) to find something you really love in a cheaper brand...and then hopefully you won't look back.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
*shrug* so long as you're honest and aware of WHY you're buying a specific watch, and are satisfied with those reasons then it should be all good. I bought my Seadweller because I wanted a Rolex. Sure, I could have spent 10x less by getting a Steinhart, but I wanted a genuine Rolex and acknowledge that most of the premium went into the name. IMO it's money well spent because it makes me feel good to wear a Rolex on my wrist (shallow as that may sound) and that's what watch collecting is all about for me. If I wanted to be logical about cost/value ratios, I would sell all my watches and use my cellphone. Likewise I don't care to delude myself into justifying the value of such a purchase by citing "904 stainless steel" or "in-house movement"....value is always going to be in the eye of beholder.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I could care less whether non WIS people recognize what brand I am wearing. I wear quality watches, I would not wear anything I perceived to be not well made. I also like specific styles. But name recognition does not really matter so much, although historic ties and nostalgia do. I can easily see owning a Rolex Explorer because of this.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts