WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

just pulled the trigger on this '50s Tudor 7909....I know I know, I should have asked the question before hand, not after. But with my untrained eyes it does seem legit. Just hoping to get some second opinions.
Case, crown, hands, movement all seem to match a '50s 7909.
My only concern would be the dial... do you think that's refinished? Of most of the photos I've been able to find, most the of dials from that era seem to have a chapter ring, which this one obviously doesn't. The sub par photos probably doesn't help much to give a very good evaluation (these are screen caps from the seller 's website so please bear with me.

Seller is a watchmaker /collector based in the Netherlands and a trusted seller on C24. So money wise it's not like it's the risk of the century.

Any input guys?

Sent from my F8132 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's any help, my old Oysterdate 34 didn't have a chapter ring.....circa 1954.
hi Mark, nice patina yours got going there.

Wouldn't it be nice to find something like this though, something about the chapter ring that's just so "vintage" about it...

edit. somehow for the life of me I can't upload that particular photo...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
mui.richard...a good-looking Tudor. The dial certainly looks good, refinished or not!

I have heard quite a bit about the Caliber 390 movement this watch uses...a number of folks seem to like it, and some think it's a challenge to work on...to each, their own, yes?
Still: it would be interesting if you'd write in from time to time, with any updates on the watch, & how it's running / holding up...there's nothing quite as valuable as First Hand information. Thanks, and I hope you'll enjoy your Tudor. Michael.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mui.richard...a good-looking Tudor. The dial certainly looks good, refinished or not!

I have heard quite a bit about the Caliber 390 movement this watch uses...a number of folks seem to like it, and some think it's a challenge to work on...to each, their own, yes?
Still: it would be interesting if you'd write in from time to time, with any updates on the watch, & how it's running / holding up...there's nothing quite as valuable as First Hand information. Thanks, and I hope you'll enjoy your Tudor. Michael.
Thank you Michael, and I'll sure do that. I'm really psyched to get it. From my understanding the watch has been serviced so we'll see. Since I'm located in hk if there's any issue at all God forbid I'll simply give Michael Young a visit. I'm quite sure he'll have no problem servicing it.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about an update!

Dropped it off at Michael Young's and just got her back yesterday. A strip down of the movement, full service and it's running like a champ! The rotor was a little noisy but not anymore and it passed 2 ATM WR testing. Power reserve is just over 40 hours so that's all good considering the age of the piece. To my surprise his business partner commented on how nicely the original dial has aged when I dropped it off.

According to the service rep the watch is now averaging +3 spd but since I just got it back I have no figures to support that. Will report back again

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A further update on accuracy, not Chronometer accuracy obviously due to the positional error...but I'm happy with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts