WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have two Tudors - the Pelagos and GMT. Will probably sell the Pelagos.

But I wanted ask what people thought about Tudor's marketing strategy using David Beckham and Lady Gaga.

I do honestly wish Tudor would associate more with adventure just like Rolex does with it's tool watch series.
Really not a fan of celebrities as watch ambassadors. I think Cartier's roster of brand ambassadors does the brand a great disservice.

Was wondering what other people think of the matter. Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, I've never really understood the brand ambassador thing. There is one that I think has delivered value for decades though, James Bond. Whether for Rolex or more recently Omega, no doubt Bond is huge seller. Equally though, I can't see anything else holding Richard Mille prices where they are currently once the sports stars and the rappers move on to something else so perhaps they do have some value as ambassadors.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
One man's food is another's poison........as they say.
Just buy what you like, the company will pay for whoever they can afford.

·
Registered
Tudor BB Heritage, Certina DS Podium Automatic, Vintage Tudor Oyster Royal, Vintage Garrard 9ct.
111 Posts
The best ambassador for a brand is..... the brand, it's range of watches and it's AD's (include customer service when something goes wrong). Personally couldn't give a damn about paid celeb shills. Do agree with the post about the 007 value. Best advert around for the outlay from Omega and Aston Martin.
I wouldn't buy due to it being worn/driven by a fictional spy. But the Bond franchise is a world wide sales pitch.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I don't pay attention to marketing gimmicks, so I couldn't care less about "brand ambassadors."

If I liked a Tudor model, then I would buy it. David Beckham and Lady Gaga be damned.
I do care. If they spend so much money to get Becks to model for them, imagine how much you're NOT paying for actual watchmaking.

From the Habrings 2019 lecture for the Horological Society of New York

·
Registered
Tudor BB Heritage, Certina DS Podium Automatic, Vintage Tudor Oyster Royal, Vintage Garrard 9ct.
111 Posts
They're looking to build Tudor into a household name like Rolex. Smart marketing ploy.
Yep. Then raise price and limit supply. Not what Tudor originally stood for. Wish they'd go back to the vintage style of ads. Guy with jack hammer breaking up pavement whilst wearing an Oyster auto. Speaks to me, much more than a songstress and an ex footballer.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Yep. Then raise price and limit supply. Not what Tudor originally stood for. Wish they'd go back to the vintage style of ads. Guy with jack hammer breaking up pavement whilst wearing an Oyster auto. Speaks to me, much more than a songstress and an ex footballer.
Businesses are usually trying to increase a dollar. I haven't seen many that walked away from a chance to cash in. The more time goes on, the less significance I see given to the tradition of anything.
Bonus points for changing the status quo. What "was" is disposable. I feel myself slipping into an old lady version of "Get off my lawn". I don't disagree with your thoughts. It seems Tudor is leveraging Tudor for "cool" and "young".

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
On f2 you will find much more robust criticism of Tudor marketing, paid fashion ambassadeurs and brand :). Beckham and Gaga mean nothing to me, so they don't attract me to the brand at all. Other things that put me off are the association with scalping, the generally inelegant case designs and lack of crystal AR coating. Hell, even Rolex has finally caught up with Certina and started using AR.

I'm sure Beckham's and Gaga's annual bills are quite high, and increasing every year. Someone else can pay - and as we see, they will pay gladly!

·
Registered
10,100 Posts
Hello everyone. I have two Tudors - the Pelagos and GMT. Will probably sell the Pelagos.

But I wanted ask what people thought about Tudor's marketing strategy using David Beckham and Lady Gaga.

I do honestly wish Tudor would associate more with adventure just like Rolex does with it's tool watch series.
Really not a fan of celebrities as watch ambassadors. I think Cartier's roster of brand ambassadors does the brand a great disservice.

Was wondering what other people think of the matter. Thanks.
Frankly, I prefer the bracing honesty of using wealthy celebrities. At least they can afford the watches they endorse. No explorer is going to strap on a 5 figure wrist watch they have to spend their own money on. And no expedition, outside of funding/ marketing reasons would take them along.

Reactions: Brian Eno’s Watch

·
Registered
733 Posts
As someone previously mentioned, Tudor is establishing a different brand identity form Rolex. No adventure-type ambassadors, and a more hip image. And while I could care less about ambassadors, it's smart marketing, IMO.

Most importantly, the results indicate that it is working....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Businesses are usually trying to increase a dollar. I haven't seen many that walked away from a chance to cash in. The more time goes on, the less significance I see given to the tradition of anything.
Bonus points for changing the status quo. What "was" is disposable. I feel myself slipping into an old lady version of "Get off my lawn". I don't disagree with your thoughts. It seems Tudor is leveraging Tudor for "cool" and "young".
I hear what your saying regarding cool and young. But move just one page away from the home page (Black bay, Black bay,Black bay...) on Tudors website. And the range looks more mafia hitman, London darts player, professional ten pin bowler, man in retirement home. Nothing on those pages screams Beckham/Gaga..... unless their management were looking for a long service gift.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I hear what your saying regarding cool and young. But move just one page away from the home page (Black bay, Black bay,Black bay...) on Tudors website. And the range looks more mafia hitman, London darts player, professional ten pin bowler, man in retirement home. Nothing on those pages screams Beckham/Gaga..... unless their management were looking for a long service gift.
What is old becomes new again. I mean, they are bringing the mullet haircut back. The mullet.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Young(ish - Beckham is 46) ambassadors to bring in new young customers.

Thus putting them on the escalator to a Rolex.

Tudor has always been the Rolex starter brand.

It remains so.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts