WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I had a post up in regards to Explorer 1 vs OP39 few weeks ago.. however my negotiation with the master of the house did not go through.. she has rejected my request :(
Her reasoning was that since my current watch is Oris Aquis ($2100msrp) and Rolex Explorer is $6500 msrp, the step up is too big. She also mentioned if I get a Rolex now, that I would want an AP or something higher in few years again.. which is true :roll: not that I could afford it in my life haha

So we agreed that lower end Tudors would be okay. So I have came down to my few favs, Tudor Date Day 76200 or BB36. Can someone here share some opinions and why one is over the other? Also I would be purchasing a preowned if that matters and my wrist is 6.75 inches. BB58 would be my first choice but its very out of my price range even if I sell/trade in my aquis I guess haha

Btw the reason for the purchase is my 30th and a job promotion (took me 7 years to reach this promotion)

Thanks All!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no when I first got into watches, I really wanted a tudor bb36 or black bay 58. At that time, i wasn't able to purchase a tudor so I settled with an Oris Aquis which is great but wasnt on my wish list.

However, like you mention, my itch never was filled with the oris.

Def this Tudor will at least for few years :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Ok then. How big is your wrist? What about adding a bb41 to your list?

Blue is more stunning, really pretty in person, Tudor blue tones are really nice. One down side is they are less formal or dressy.

I’ll personally will go Blue.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Get the Tudor.

Your spouse has already declared she thinks the Rolex would too deeply eat into your finances. Were I partnered with someone who said that to me, I'd heed her input, partly b/c financial frugality re: highly discretionary luxury items never hurt anyone in the long run, and partly b/c I know I would never hear the end of it if I didn't.

As for wanting and affording an RO, well, I got mine, along with a Rolex, just a few weeks ago, and I'm in my 50s. Prior to that, I did just fine wearing essentially one watch since the mid-1980s. With patience, you too will be able to afford an RO if you really want to; especially if you don't, in the interim, dip into your "sinking fund" to buy a Rolex and/or whatever else.

Edit:
"Never hear the end of it" doesn't mean she'll always bring it up for as long as we're together. It means she'll never forget about the fact that I didn't heed her input, and it will cloud her thought regardless of whether she mentions it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried the bb41 (black) in the past but felt little big my wrist due to the lug to lug being 50mm. 50mm lug to lug is like maximum i can do on my 6.75 wrist.

The blue looks stunning but my oris is a blue dial (black bezel) so I am currently preferring the black over the blue. Never saw the blue in person.

Yes the rolex can wait, but i told her that eventually in next 5-10 years i would like to pick one up if my finance allows.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Save that money you’re thinking of spending on a Tudor so you can cut down the wait time to buy what you really want - a Rolex. Seriously, create an additional savings account called “Watch Fund” and put that money in there and keep adding a couple hundred bucks to it here and there.

If I was patient, I could have bought what I really wanted much earlier. But, for years, I kept losing money buying and selling/trading a dozen plus $1000, $2000, $3000, & $4000 watches.

I have a BB41. It’s a nice watch and is very legible. It sits in a drawer and gets worn a couple times a year when I go somewhere I don’t want to wear a Rolex.

·
Premium Member
29,530 Posts
With a 6.75” wrist, would not a Datejust 36 or an Oyster Perpetual 36 fit you?

Both could be gotten from a grey dealer, lightly used and close to the price range you’re looking at. After all, the OP36 and Tudor Bb36 are the equivalent models in the two brands.

I wouldn’t consider settling on the Tudor and rather than “ wasting” money buying a Tudor that may not satisfy that itch, why don’t you go all out?

Ever considered that option?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Not sure about the step up from a new BB35 to new OP36 -- in that face-off and given the price difference I prefer the Tudor. DJ, 39 or Explorer 2 (and especially vintage Explorer) I'd save up. The 36 is pretty close to a perfect do-anything watch, IMO, and the quality step up from the Oris, nice as it is, should be noticeable and reassuring. I do think that saving up for a watch you know you'll keep and enjoy beats playing in the flipper arena. I've followed that philosophy for a while now and it's so much more rewarding, financially and otherwise. Now where you draw that line may not be at PP/AP/VC -- nothing wrong with that. A great watch is a great watch, regardless of price -- Tudor can certainly play in that sandbox, viz., the Pelagos. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
There is nothing wrong with buying a Tudor. I think you might be surprised on how closely they are related. If I was in your shoes I would go for the bb58 or the bb41 in blue. You should take a look at the brand in person before jumping the gun. Include the Mrs. and let her see what her thoughts are.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hello all

I had a post up in regards to Explorer 1 vs OP39 few weeks ago.. however my negotiation with the master of the house did not go through.. she has rejected my request :(
Her reasoning was that since my current watch is Oris Aquis ($2100msrp) and Rolex Explorer is $6500 msrp, the step up is too big. She also mentioned if I get a Rolex now, that I would want an AP or something higher in few years again.. which is true :roll: not that I could afford it in my life haha

So we agreed that lower end Tudors would be okay. So I have came down to my few favs, Tudor Date Day 76200 or BB36. Can someone here share some opinions and why one is over the other? Also I would be purchasing a preowned if that matters and my wrist is 6.75 inches. BB58 would be my first choice but its very out of my price range even if I sell/trade in my aquis I guess haha

Btw the reason for the purchase is my 30th and a job promotion (took me 7 years to reach this promotion)

Thanks All!
I would go with bb36

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have the day date in silver and black....they have proven to be excellent gada timepieces. What's interesting is how many comments I get even from non-watch people about the day date. for reference, I have a 7¾ wrist. All this to say the day date is the one to get rather than the blackbay 36

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Hang on. You told your wife the prices? Well theres your first mistake and youre never going to recover from that one. For future reference, you bore her rigid with talk about the Rolex. Keep showing her photos and websites of various models. Ideally when she's watching something she really likes on TV. Make it really dull with lots of model numbers and point out the subtle differences like fonts and spacing. Make sure she REALLY REALLY understands the font differences with quick tests now and then to make sure she's been taking it all in. If you can get her to the point of turning up the tv and scratching her arms a bit too much youre almost there. Then you can mention "investment watches" and it needs to be the exact watch that you want, even if its not an investment, which it probably isnt. You then just have to pull right back and say "I think youre right, its a lot of money and those things are impossible to get anyway, perhaps we should buy that washing machine that we dont need after all". Wait a couple of weeks and surprise her with the good news "ive just found that really rare watch, what are the chances" then swamp her with more serial numbers and photos. She will crumble, if she's anything like my other half it will be "just get the ****ing thing, if it stops you talking about it" If you get a few tears as well you can sow the seeds for your next watch. Some ADs will also provide "special receipts". You cant go wrong with any of the Tudors incidentally. The BB36 is very small though. They also do that in 41mm I think and it still has the low profile case. Best of luck choosing

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is nothing wrong with buying a Tudor. I think you might be surprised on how closely they are related. If I was in your shoes I would go for the bb58 or the bb41 in blue. You should take a look at the brand in person before jumping the gun. Include the Mrs. and let her see what her thoughts are.
bb58 is what actually got me into watches.. not that i have it but def brought me into the watch world haha the price is out of my budget but I actually do love the bb36/41 blue over the black. I've actual got my wife a tudor claire de rose hoping we can go both financially broke b-) (JK). She likes the bb36/41 over the date just, she said datejust looks like a "lady's watch" which i totally disagreed with. I think she secretly wants that haha

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
I think both of these are great choices. The bb36 i love in the blue, not so much in black. It’s a great looking watch and would happily wear it

The 76200 (and the speedmaster pro) exist is a special world where there are true vintage watches you can buy new. I just was telling some friends last week how close I am to buying one of these. No one needs the day/date on their watch but if you’re gonna do it this is the classiest way. Only thing that slightly puts me off is I don’t like the look of the bracelet but that’s a personal opinion

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
With a 6.75” wrist, would not a Datejust 36 or an Oyster Perpetual 36 fit you?

Both could be gotten from a grey dealer, lightly used and close to the price range you’re looking at. After all, the OP36 and Tudor Bb36 are the equivalent models in the two brands.

I wouldn’t consider settling on the Tudor and rather than “ wasting” money buying a Tudor that may not satisfy that itch, why don’t you go all out?

Ever considered that option?
Yeah, OP should consider a DJ.

This is mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts