WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am looking at my next purchase and have set my sights on a Tudor big block. I've come across one at a decent price, but from the pictures the bevelling on the lugs looks a bit weak, but i'd really appreciate some second opinions.

Also, there is another option, but it is missing the bracelet. Does anyone know how hard it would be to get a period correct bracelet and how much that would set me back. Failing that, what readily available bracelets would fit it (Rolex or Tudor).

Cheers in advance.

tudor 1.jpg tudor 2.jpg tudor 3.jpg

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well, the watch has been polished. Some people are really bothered by this, others are not. Do you know which group you fall into? Once you do, you can make your decision.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Well, the watch has been polished. Some people are really bothered by this, others are not. Do you know which group you fall into? Once you do, you can make your decision.
Ditto

·
Registered
307 Posts
By the way, it is difficult to judge these things from pictures, keep that in mind. Also, that case doesn’t have noticeable beveled edges like you see on the Black Bay. Could it be that you are confusing it with the Black Bay Chrono or another watch? It looks fine to me.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
It's not a disaster, and finding one unpolished can be tricky. You could have it professionally redone - it wouldn't be original, but looks like there's enough of the case left for an expert to make a decent job of it. Really this comes down to how much you want to spend I guess, though.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I personally like it and would have one in a heartbeat but my wish list is getting longer and longer and there’s only so much money I can make. It wouldn’t bother me being polished either. Good luck on your search

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses all, very helpful.

Does anyone have any experience of trying to source a bracelet for a big block (my second question) in the original post?

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Thanks for the responses all, very helpful.

Does anyone have any experience of trying to source a bracelet for a big block (my second question) in the original post?
No, but have sourced a bracelet for an older Tudor Submariner before. You can usually find an original somewhere, but don't expect it to be cheap - it'll be a seller's market. Alternatively, you might be able to source one brand new from a Rolex/Tudor AD - might not be exactly the same as an original, but I expect they'd be able to sell you one to fit.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
By the way, it is difficult to judge these things from pictures, keep that in mind. Also, that case doesn’t have noticeable beveled edges like you see on the Black Bay. Could it be that you are confusing it with the Black Bay Chrono or another watch? It looks fine to me.
Collectors coo over patina and the effects of time, but dislike signs of use. The date wheel is losing paint, the bezel is losing paint, the hands look a bit mottled, there are dinks in the metal here and there and the endlinks are worn and don't fit like they did when it was new. 30 or more years of general wear are naturally going to dull any sharp edges. These older watches don't have the flat, wide high-polished bezel you see on modern Tudor. If they had one, it would have been much thinner. Where the polished bevel goes dull over time, you lose the definition between the top and the side. It doesn't necessarily mean some ham-fisted polisher has run it through the angle-grinder; it just means it's been worn over time.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Collectors coo over patina and the effects of time, but dislike signs of use. The date wheel is losing paint, the bezel is losing paint, the hands look a bit mottled, there are dinks in the metal here and there and the endlinks are worn and don't fit like they did when it was new. 30 or more years of general wear are naturally going to dull any sharp edges. These older watches don't have the flat, wide high-polished bezel you see on modern Tudor. If they had one, it would have been much thinner. Where the polished bevel goes dull over time, you lose the definition between the top and the side. It doesn't necessarily mean some ham-fisted polisher has run it through the angle-grinder; it just means it's been worn over time.
Certainly true that from a re-sale point of view, it's usually best to spend more and get one in the best condition you can find. If you're going to wear it and enjoy it and not worry too much about value retention, then no reason not to find one with a bit of "character" already.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There's something to be said about all of us showing wear and tear- gives us our character. If you're looking for something that looks newer this isn't it. Myself, I don't when a watch I own gets a slight nick or scratch- just like me and my scars, it's a record of history and what we've been through together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts