WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been evaluating the Tudor Black Bay 36 and took some photos wearing it, as well as a few with my existing 38mm Seiko SARB033 for comparison. I bought the Tudor on the condition that I could return it within 7 days if I wasn't happy with it. The lug-to-lug distance on both these watches is roughly the same at around 44mm.

My wrist is about 6.5" (16.5cm) in circumference and quite flat.

My initial impression on trying the watch was that the 36mm size did feel quite small. It certainly felt small when looking down at my wrist, though it looked quite nicely proportioned when viewed in a mirror or from a distance. After a few days trying it I certainly got more used to seeing the 36mm size on my wrist, although I never quite got over the feeling that I would be more comfortable if it was a touch bigger.

The 38mm Seiko did start to feel kinda thick and bulky after I wore the 36 for a while, so I did enjoy the feel of a thinner and less top-heavy watch when switching back to the Black Bay. I also liked the more dense and visually interesting dial on the Tudor, and the white hour markers really pop against the deep black dial and give the little watch a lot of presence even from a distance. In contrast, the SARB's dial looked rather sparse in comparison. I did find the Seiko's bracelet to feel more comfortable on my wrist owing to the slightly rounded edges to the links. The Tudor's bracelet, in contrast, felt a little sharp-edged in comparison.

In the end, I was pretty torn about the Black Bay 36 and decided to return it. It certainly grew on me and I enjoyed wearing it more and more, and felt reluctant to return it, but I decided it was too much money for me to spend on an unnecessary item, especially if I was not 100% sure about it. If it was a lot cheaper, or I was more sure about the smaller size, I would have kept it. There's always the option to rebuy it in the future if I find myself really missing it, or perhaps finding a good deal on the second hand market (though there aren't many used BB36 on the market here in the UK at the moment, and the ones I've seen are too expensive to be worth buying instead of a new one from the AD).

Ultimately, I feel the 36mm size would be less controversial for me with a couple of design changes. One would be 20mm lug width instead of 19mm, and a slightly squarer case, which would give the watch a stockier, more masculine appearance. The other would be to make the bezel thinner and enlarge the dial a little, making it wear bigger.

I hope the photos I've included from non-wrist shot angles will be a helpful additional resource for anyone researching this watch.

Thanks,
Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
886 Posts
You did the right thing for you, and that is the best we can all do in this hobby. For me, I use the BB36 as my everyday watch and I have a very flat 6.75" wrist. In my opinion (again, my opinion for me) it is the perfect size.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your initial impressions of wearing the BB36. Both watches looked like a good fit with the profile pictures you shared because of their lug-to-lug measurement being approx. 44 mm and not because of their dial's diameters.

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
I think it looks fine... not too small at all. But it is probably on the smaller side of what I'd think looks fine for your wrist. My wrist is slightly larger than yours and 36 is the min before I think it starts looking too small, though I have a couple of 35mm vintage watches. I generally prefer 38-42 though.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi and welcome.

That’s one of the better ways I’ve seen pics of by people wanting opinions on how a watch wears. Nice. Almost everyone starts off taking wrist close ups.

IMHO, both wear well on you but you ran with your gut and ultimately that is what counts!

Agree with above, great first post.

Enjoy the journey.

Cheers,
B79

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have a similar sized wrist and regularly wear a 36mm Nomos Club Dunkel, which fits me perfectly. When I tried on the Tudor BB36, though, I have to admit it felt smaller than I expected it to. Might be the wider bezel--not sure. Anyway, it felt smallish on me and looks slightly smallish on you. There are too many watches out there to settle on something you don't really like. Returning was the right call.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Currently wear watches in the 36-40mm range, and at the larger end, those watches have a substantial bezel. I definitely like a smaller dial.

Three watches come to mind. Currently have a Glycine combat 6 36mm, and love the fit. It actually measures out more like 37mm case size, and with a thin bezel, wears larger than the 36mm spec might indicate.

On the other end, I had a Seiko 5 SNKL, at 37mm, but it had a fairly wide bezel and I found the dial looked too small.

Finally, I also briefly owned a SARB035, and while there was a lot to like about it, ultimately I found the watch too tall, considering the diameter.

Super-happy with the fit of the Glycine.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Even though I think it looks fine, it’s probably best you returned it rather than always have that nagging doubt. Great dealer that allowed you to return a worn watch. Did you try the larger BB41? It might be too large but it would be worth a look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You did the right thing for you, and that is the best we can all do in this hobby. For me, I use the BB36 as my everyday watch and I have a very flat 6.75" wrist. In my opinion (again, my opinion for me) it is the perfect size.
It is definitely a great choice for an everyday watch, and one of the most versatile designs out there that goes with everything. I'm sure it looks great on you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your initial impressions of wearing the BB36. Both watches looked like a good fit with the profile pictures you shared because of their lug-to-lug measurement being approx. 44 mm and not because of their dial's diameters.
Thank you. Good point about the lug to lug, it's an underrated statistic when it comes to judging how a watch will fit!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think it looks fine... not too small at all. But it is probably on the smaller side of what I'd think looks fine for your wrist. My wrist is slightly larger than yours and 36 is the min before I think it starts looking too small, though I have a couple of 35mm vintage watches. I generally prefer 38-42 though.
Thanks for the feedback. I think you're right, it's just at bottom end of what's a good fit. All my current watches are in that 38-42 range so I guess that's what most of us with an average size wrist are used to

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi and welcome.

That’s one of the better ways I’ve seen pics of by people wanting opinions on how a watch wears. Nice. Almost everyone starts off taking wrist close ups.

IMHO, both wear well on you but you ran with your gut and ultimately that is what counts!

Agree with above, great first post.

Enjoy the journey.

Cheers,
B79

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback!
I used a camera on a tripod 1m away with a phone app to trigger it, it seems to work well to show the proportions realistically.
That way I avoided being called a noob for an overly-close-up wrist shot error :)

Cheers

1 - 20 of 47 Posts